Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Discs

Hallex

Update - spoke to both the dealer Lexus Wolvo and Lexus Customer Services - both are refusing to replace front disks under warranty at 30k miles on my IS250. Lexus quality and service has gone downhill rapidly.

Update - spoke to both the dealer Lexus Wolvo and Lexus Customer Services - both are refusing to replace front disks under warranty at 30k miles on my IS250. Lexus quality and service has gone downhill rapidly.

It's a problem with the design. The discs may be too small for the weight of the car and they've used high friction pads to compensate (The other annoyance is the excessive dust from the front pads). Since I put a set of IS350 calipers and discs on my 250 SE-L with the OEM low dust ceramic pads (Lexus supplied to the US due to so many complaints of the dust), I haven't had a problem. Minimal wear of the discs over 25K miles and 75% of the pads still left. Unfortunately it isn't an option for anyone with 16" or 17" rims though as there insufficient clearance for the larger calipers (probably why the discs were small in the first place, it's a vicious circle)

• 10 months later...

I'm researching this at the mo as i'm about to put the car in for the 40k service, and i'm expecting them to say similar (though having a look myself it looks like they might have been replaced already at 20 - 30k, so maybe not!).

I'm looking at replacing the disks and pads with EBC bits. Has anyone had any experience as to whether these have a better longevity? I'm looking at either the Ultimax or Turbo grooved discs using either Ultimax OE replacement pads or greenstuff.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a problem with the design. The discs may be too small for the weight of the car and they've used high friction pads to compensate (The other annoyance is the excessive dust from the front pads). Since I put a set of IS350 calipers and discs on my 250 SE-L with the OEM low dust ceramic pads (Lexus supplied to the US due to so many complaints of the dust), I haven't had a problem. Minimal wear of the discs over 25K miles and 75% of the pads still left. Unfortunately it isn't an option for anyone with 16" or 17" rims though as there insufficient clearance for the larger calipers (probably why the discs were small in the first place, it's a vicious circle)

Many of the 350s sold in US has 17" wheels as standard. So I don't think it should be a problem...

Many of the 350s sold in US has 17" wheels as standard. So I don't think it should be a problem...

We've already been through this loop...the front hub on the IS350 is different than the IS250 so although the IS350 calipers and discs will fit the IS250 hub (as fitted on my previous IS250 SE-L), the calipers are positioned slightly differently which causes them to foul a OEM 17" Rim (I know because I've tried it).

• 2 weeks later...

hello.

My Lexus has 91.000 Km and my friend mechanic checked all brakes and disks and said it's time to change front disks and brakes.

I bought 2 front Apec disks in UK, like OEM part, and i'll install Roesch carbo-ceramic brakes. My mehcnaic says that on all cars he suggest this tandem: OEM with Roesch brakes, also on BMW or MErcedes, and all are very happy.

I will tell u my opinion when i'll omunt them.

• 4 months later...

I installed these disks 2 months ago but i was not able to find good pads, the real good ones can be Hawk Performance pads from USA but too much expensive buy and sell here. So i installed TRW pads, but the performance is very bad. One week ago i decided for total replacement with D2 big brake kit. U can see it in my new topic.