Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS200 independent corrosion test report.

Interesting facts:

In Sweden corrosion protection of cars is a sales argument. Because the climate is so wet and varied i Sweden it puts high demand on corrosion protection. This is what the renowned Vi Bilägare (We Car Owners) association in Sweden wrote after experts tested the corrosion protection on the IS200.

I ventured a translation since none of you speak Swedish...

Lexus (IS200) has a car body which to a large extent is galavanized (all except the roof, which is the least exposed to dirt and water from below). Toyota has previously not impressed us with its corrosion treatments, but Lexus IS200 seems unusually well protected, as noted by Vi Bilägares corrosion expert Thomas Wildström at Rostskyddsmetoder AB.

There is extra wax in both the boot lid and hood as in doors. The front wheel arches are protected by proper inner plastic guards. The worse protected areas are within the beams under the car and in the rear wheel arches. The fual tank is made of steel and not plastic (BMW) and is at risk for rusting in time (10 years at least). A large part of the under carriage is however covered with plastic shields for improving the aero-dynamics of the car. These serve also to protect against dirt and rocks. Toyota offers a 12 year corrosion warrenty. The IS200 will probably stay in good shape during it's lifetime.

So thats a good verdict. It got 4 out of a possible 5. Shame about the tank and the rear wheel arches.

http://www.vibilagare.se/Rostregistret/lexus_is200.htm

cheers for that,i have whilst playing around with the car(removing stuff:rolleyes:) found several dirt traps though:

the biggest being behind the rear wheel behind the bumper,i suggest other look in here and wash all the crap out......

I always take the water hose and wash inside the rear wheel arches. You will note that there is a shelf or lip inside as the arch is shaped.

This is a weak spot. So one can feel it with ones hand. Dirt really piles up here from the rear wheel spray. Dirt = corrosion in the longrun.