Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I'm new here (as well as a new lexus owner :) ).

I'm having difficulties understanding headlights on my 2001 gs300.

I know big ones on the outside are night lights, closer to the grill ar long lights, but they also work as... don't know how it in english... (?day lights? ). Whats interesting is that these ones has two bulbs (one in a middle-double, on at lower part (5W)). If I take out these 5W bulbs, bigger ones glow also as ?daylights?(but only start after couple of seconds after ignition), if smaller ones are in place, they work as ?daylights?. My question would be simple- What do these bulbs (in closer to grill compartment) actually do?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Mantas M

The outer ones are indeed the main dipped lights, as you would normally use at night. There are two bulbs in the inner lamp, as you have seen. The small 5W bulbs are what we in England know as side-lights; these are the ones that light up when you turn the lights on just one click. The larger bulbs, also in the inner lamp, are the high-beam which come on when you push the stalk back towards the dash.

Not sure why the high-beam bulbs come on when you remove the 5W sidelights though - doesn't sound quite right to me as these bulbs are pretty powerful and are not dipped downwards, you will dazzle anyone coming towards you if these are on all the time.

Welcome to the club, by the way... :-)

Sounds like you may have a type of day light running system. Different regulations in different countries?

Possibly the main beams coming on are a fail safe if the smaller 5W sidelight bulbs blow. Do the main lights come on at full brightness or dim?

Thanks guys.

When I take 5W bulbs out not main lamp goes on, but as first reply said high beam instead, but in contrast to first reply they are not high beams, lights is very dim and hardly lights anythings on the road.

As for the day lights I don't know even. its an american imported vehicle, so I doubt.

And yes, thanks for a warm welcome. Its my first lexus and I love it. Much better than SAAB 95, audi A6 and Mercedes ML :winky:

If it is an America vehicle then it will have a daytime running system. Sounds like your system is working correctly. There probably is a way to disable it if you want, I would recommend you search around on the US Lexus forums.

Here is a description I found on the web for the RX350 system:

Background: The DRL works by running 12v current through BOTH High Beams in series, producing a low intensity light. In essence, each 12v bulb sees only 6v. DRL is switched to be on whenever Low or High Beam headlamps are off and the engine is running with the parking brake off. The headlamp system uses 5 fuses and 5 relays to control everything.

Thanks a lot. I works just like you described. We must use lights all year long in Lithuania, so I managed to get what I needed by accident :D

If it is an America vehicle then it will have a daytime running system. Sounds like your system is working correctly. There probably is a way to disable it if you want, I would recommend you search around on the US Lexus forums.

Here is a description I found on the web for the RX350 system:

Background: The DRL works by running 12v current through BOTH High Beams in series, producing a low intensity light. In essence, each 12v bulb sees only 6v. DRL is switched to be on whenever Low or High Beam headlamps are off and the engine is running with the parking brake off. The headlamp system uses 5 fuses and 5 relays to control everything.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links