Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing Car Stereo

shanem

Im going to change the standard Tezza stereo for my Alpine single din size head unit...

Can someone tell me if the connections are a straight plug in to after market head unit or will i need any special converter blocks or radio leads ??

Thanks before i rip out the old one :)

You will need to check if the car has an amp behind the glovebox (on outer bulkhead). If you have no amp it is very

simple job to swap out. If you have an amp behind the glovebox you will need an IS200 bypass lead from E-Bay.

You will also need an Autoleads Facia FP-25-00 or you can buy a double DIN part to cut out the single DIN hole yourself.

Toyota Part No 55413-53010

Pics below of the facias (take your pic.

The Autoleads Facia FP-25-00 (fitted with a fold out Kenwood DVD Player)

AutoleadsFaciaOriginal.jpg

This normally costs about £15 or so from eBay and is suitable for Single or Double DIN Head Units

Secondly the official Toyota Part No 55413-53010

The Toyota Double Din Blanking Plate

TOYOTABLANKINGPLATE1.jpg

Cost is approx £45 from Toyota/Lexus Dealers

The problem with that Toyota panel is that you lose the heated seat buttons on the Lexus,

unsure if you have them on the Altezza.You also have to cut out a suitable hole for the head unit.

I modified the Autoleads Facia so it matched the dash better, walkthru to acheive this linked below.

HeadUnitAlpineCDA-9855R.jpg

See this thread for details of the Facia

I have a word document that is an easy guide to taking out the CD Player. Send me an email address via PM :)

Let me know if I can help further

• 5 weeks later...

Hi mate finally got the facia and have it assembled, but looking at the connectors on the back of my Alpine stereo, they are totally different from the Altezza ones ......

Do i need a converter cable or something? or do you wire the connections manually?

cheers

Hi mate finally got the facia and have it assembled, but looking at the connectors on the back of my Alpine stereo, they are totally different from the Altezza ones ......

Do i need a converter cable or something? or do you wire the connections manually?

cheers mate

If you have an amp ( behind the glovebox on the left ) you will need an amp bypass lead ( check E-bay ) then that gives you a lead from the amp to the aftermarket Head Unit which will plug straight in the Alpine this the link for the Lead

Item Title: Lexus IS200 SE Sport Amplifier by pass lead adaptor

Item Number: 180265458304

I think it was about £20.00 , if you have sat nav you will need some more items to retain its use , speak to DJWozza he's the guy to talk to on this subject , he' done more than most on the ICE front .

Hope this helps mate . Oh here's a pic of the amp behind the glovebox .

post-22839-1218898224.jpg

cheers mate

Bypass lead if you have an amp as standard. ISO connecter block if you don't. (can strip and crimp/solder if you like, but messy, complicated and time consuming £10 cheaper thou)

@PCIronmike, did your gear stick wear a willy-warmer?

cheers mate

Bypass lead if you have an amp as standard. ISO connecter block if you don't. (can strip and crimp/solder if you like, but messy, complicated and time consuming £10 cheaper thou)

@PCIronmike, did your gear stick wear a willy-warmer?

Where exactly is the amp if its there ? I looked under the glove box and opened it and looked down the gap at both sides and cant see one..... Do i have to take out the glove box to see the amp?

Thanks for the quick reply mate, much appreciated

Where exactly is the amp if its there ? I looked under the glove box and opened it and looked down the gap at both sides and cant see one..... Do i have to take out the glove box to see the amp?

Thanks for the quick reply mate, much appreciated

Look at the picture above. The amp (if it is there) is mounted on the lefthand side, behind the glove box. If you squeese the sides of the glovebox, you can pull it out and down (still atached at the hindges) and you will definatly see it, if it is there that is!

Ok definitely no amp :)

Ordered an iso block of ebay :)

Do i need anything else to make the radio work properly? cos when i had the standard stereo installed all the FM frequencys were wrong :unsure:

cheers

all you needed then was a frequency band expander, to sort that out

some Altezza were fitted with the Premium sound syste, with the headunits made by pioneer, whereas the Euro and US headunits are made by Fujitsu

Should say "Premium sound system" on headunit if is. But you have established it is not.

Yes connecions are the same as MR2, Celica and many other Toyotas.

Your standard stereo Jap then? They have different frequencies to us, around 90ish max, IIRC, the only channel they can pick up over here is Radio 2!

A UK spec headunit, standard or aftermarket, will pick up UK radio fine. Make sure you wire the amplified arial remote out of the headunit correctly though.

Ok definitely no amp :)

Ordered an iso block of ebay :)

Do i need anything else to make the radio work properly? cos when i had the standard stereo installed all the FM frequencys were wrong :unsure:

cheers

all you needed then was a frequency band expander, to sort that out

ok cheers :) will give you an update if it works next week lol

remember to take some pics of the job in stages, there is not enough info on Altezza Stereo fitting on the forum IMO.

I have got an old NKCN-D59 2-Din system in my altezza, which I imported and want to replace it with another 2-Din system of the same dimensions, how is the old one removed? Have no clue.... if you have any pics that would be great too! See pic of my current system which I want to replace.

post-25545-1218933377.jpg

remember to take some pics of the job in stages, there is not enough info on Altezza Stereo fitting on the forum IMO.

I have got an old NKCN-D59 2-Din system in my altezza, which I imported and want to replace it with another 2-Din system of the same dimensions, how is the old one removed? Have no clue.... if you have any pics that would be great too! See pic of my current system which I want to replace.

Check out WOZZA'S pinned thread on ICE , thats all you need to know .

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Check out WOZZA'S pinned thread on ICE , thats all you need to know .

Regards

I'll post some pics of my installation and give a run down of the procedure when i get my adaptors etc should be up for Friday :)

At the moment ive just had the console out to have a look and it is really simple... On my 99 Tezza the top section with the air vents are just clipped in and the tray on top is screwed in from the inside so dont try and pull it off... Just tilt the air vents back and grab the top section and pull straight back and it will pop out... The same with the bottom section with traction control and snow control, it just pulled straight out.. Then you can see the bolts that need unscrewing to take out the stereo and climate controls....

Ok Finally finished :)

Here's my how to guide on changing to an aftermarket single din headunit - on my 99 RS200 Altezza

First like is mentioned you have to determine if you have an amp or not, i didnt have an amp so heres what i needed for the installation.

All parts i bought from eBay for less than £25

1. AUTOLEADS TOYOTA LEXUS IS FASCIA FACIA PANEL FP 25 00

2. LEXUS IS200 ISO HARNESS ADAPTOR

3. CAR RADIO STEREO AERIAL ADAPTER/CONNECTOR (DIN TO ISO)

I assembled the new facia to begin with and clipped in the cage that came with my Alpine stereo, then began stripping the console.

The top section with airvents is clipped in, so tilt the airvents back and get a good grip and pull straight back, with a bit of persuasion it should pop right out..

post-24379-1220300675.jpg

Then pull out the bottom section with A/C and Snow control and disconnect the connector.

post-24379-1220300727.jpg

Now you will be able to see the 4x 10mm bolts, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom, unscrew these and pull the section out slightly so you can unplug the connections, now the stereo and climate controls will lift out.

post-24379-1220300771.jpg

Remove the climate controls section from the standard stereo, then add it to your new Facia and slide your new stereo into the new facia..

post-24379-1220300810.jpg

Connect the adaptor harness and ariel adaptor to your cars stock wiring connections and connect to your replacement head unit.... Reconnect the climate controls and bolt the centre section back on the centre console... Reconnect your A/C unit and clip back in, and finally clip back in your top air vents and you should have something like this :)

post-24379-1220300858.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Also see Wozzas guide on pimping the facia to match the console better... I'll be trying this when i have more time ;)

Good luck

• 7 years later...