Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Suspension Noise

Has anybody had this?ive got quite a bad clunckin/knockin comin from the front drivers side of my is,its a 2001 model and happens every time i go over bumps or drains etc...,ive already changed the front strut and all bushes seem to be in tacked,i can sometimes feel the knock almost comin through the drivers footwell this leads me to think it could be the lower arm am i right??Has any1 had or got the same problem or resolved a similar situation its drivin me mad!! :tsktsk:

mines always doin it, theres been a few posts about it before, with suggestions like putting more copper grease (i think) in the brake calipers as the noise could be just movement of the pads, but I have both my lower arms changed and the problem eased off, but never totally disappeared, and its come back as bad as before, i'm just puttin up with it lol

thats sounds similar to my 'clunk'- . My car went back to Lexus under warranty numerous times, they changed quite a few things including shocks /top mounts,ball joints..the lot..I dont know who was the most fed up..me taking it back everytime or them not being able to resolve the issue...

I have even had it checked by my vehicle workshops at work who got it on the ramps and they cant find anything wrong,nothing worn or loose.

Im guessing its something really simple..ive noticed some play in the bonnet catch and you can move the bonnet slightly..could be that..i really cant be bothered anymore..seems like these cars do clunk

Ive given up and just turn the stereo up now :blink:

Well guess wat ive got the ..had the same...and still got the same problem.!! like many went back to lexus had top mount , front shocks etc changed still not solved the problem.!..........The handleing doesnt seem to be affected .its just a pain in the backside noise.

Well a few months ago i believe that someone posted up on here with the same problem in his RX300.? knocking noise etc....taken back to lexus never sorted and then they got the head mechanical or something to that description from europe somewhere to have a look ..and after a long test of driving looking etc ...apparantly it was down to the inner oil valve of the shocks.....the thred/post is on the forum somewhere....

What the solutoin is i have no idea....but if they keep on replaceing shocks then to me they need to change the supplier or the design or what ever of the shocks....when i get round to it i will buy some new ones ( NON LEXUS ONES ) maybe BILSTEIN etc and see if that solves the problem if it does then i will post back up on the forum ...

Hi Dazz,

i had a similar problem. knocking noise when turning at low speeds! got my coilovers changed for some Tein ones and it was still knocking, then decided to just change the lot! changed discs, pads, calipers and brake lines. not knocking now!!!!

I think it was probably the caliper on mine as it was sticking a bit before???

hope you get it sorted out mate!

Jason :P

Hi Dazz,

i had a similar problem. knocking noise when turning at low speeds! got my coilovers changed for some Tein ones and it was still knocking, then decided to just change the lot! changed discs, pads, calipers and brake lines. not knocking now!!!!

I think it was probably the caliper on mine as it was sticking a bit before???

hope you get it sorted out mate!

Jason :P

Hi Jason hows it going...

Yeah i have changed my disc`s and pads...the clunking noise is the pads moving in the calipers which most people have ....but this noise is like the anti roll bar drop link is knocking.( Had them checked and they are fine)..its a weird noise just when you go over speed humps or or a slight depresion in the road..at speed or very slow with the wheel either turning or dead straight...its defo not calipers........Another one for the X FILES people. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Already tried that one.. :winky: still the same knocking noise...it does every now and again but this could be due to weather....i defo think its either anti roll , drop links,shocks ,top mount area....

I think its the inner oil valve as if it has a problem to do if it gets oil to certain parts and if it doesnt then it knocks ( metal to metal) and sends the sound up through the body of the shock...and hence why you can hear it inside the cabin and also outside..... :unsure:

Hi guys, ive the same problem. Took my car to a garage last wek and the guy couldn't find anything wrong. Took it to another garage and he said it was the drop link. So after getting the drop link replaced...guess what ? Correcto Amondo, it's still there :alien: looks like a job for Scully and Mulder, or just blast the music :driving:

Hi guys, ive the same problem. Took my car to a garage last wek and the guy couldn't find anything wrong. Took it to another garage and he said it was the drop link. So after getting the drop link replaced...guess what ? Correcto Amondo, it's still there :alien: looks like a job for Scully and Mulder, or just blast the music :driving:

to be honest this issue has totally ruined my enjoyment of the car and the reason im looking at getting shot of it after 18 months.I was going to get another LEX but they are not interested in selling cars to me (another story) It went back numerous times and had warranty work to trace the fault and they were sick to death of seeing me in the end. Its been looked at independently by a workshop and ive been under the car when its been on the ramps and there is nothing obvious - dazz is saying shocks/top mounts -all replaced on mine - no joy im afraid (also ball joints done)

I would be interested to know if anyone has suffered the same problem (that hasnt been due to brakes )and has solved it!

Already tried that one.. :winky: still the same knocking noise...it does every now and again but this could be due to weather....i defo think its either anti roll , drop links,shocks ,top mount area....

I think its the inner oil valve as if it has a problem to do if it gets oil to certain parts and if it doesnt then it knocks ( metal to metal) and sends the sound up through the body of the shock...and hence why you can hear it inside the cabin and also outside..... :unsure:

Dazz you may be onto something. I work next to a large garage and i know the blokes in there quite well. I popped in today to discuss an IS250 and somehow got back to the knocking noise on my motor.

Straight away the oldest boy in the garage said it sounds like your oil valve in your schock. I thought where have i read that...on your post of course :winky:

Now Lexus assured me they changed the shocks, now the chances are they didnt :tsktsk: as surely the chances of same fault in a new shock on the same side are minimal. Now im seriously looking at getting shot of the beastie and the knocking noise is tipping me that way faster than i would like, however would be intrigued to know if this could be the problem.

You arent planning on going down the new shocks route are you?

• 2 months later...

Wow last post 6th October.....well im going to go down the route of getting new shocks....everything is ok so can only go on the inner oil valve problem.....now problem is do i....

1.Get a new pair of OEM shocks....prob not... ;)

2.Get new after market shocks....prob BILSTEIN....at same time get some EIBACH lowering springs fitted... :D

3. OR get some TEIN super street coilovers.......But never going to use my car for track use...just road.... :)

Either way ive still got the knocking noise...getting right on my :tsktsk: ......

Ok thanx`s Tonygoose....seen some KYB shocks ....from camskill performance...£63 each for the front & back...about half the price of bilstein`s per shock.....anyone know how good the KYB ones are OR have ever used them...

Thanx..

• 4 weeks later...

Well . . . mine is going into Lexus (together with a list of other things) to be made 'silent' under a warranty.

I've asked for this in writing, as it could be a lengthy process it seems !

The technician I was chatting to today said it could be the pads, as said previously, but I can feel it too well to be that ?

Chris

best of luck :whistling:

to be fair they gave me a nice new GS300 everytime mine went in so that kind of smoothed the way

Dazz let me know how you get on with the shocks...mine knocks more in warmer weather, dont know if the viscocity of the oil in them changes with the temperature...causing more knocking when warmer than cold? just a theory :question:

Just got through an MOT and nothing failed so mystery remains

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links