Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Fancy Teaching Me?

Rikos

I personally think everyone should take the cbt before taking car test as i feel once you've riden a bike you look for them more when driving a car.

I've said that for years, i've always been around bikes since the age of 12 and i also believe that you should pass your bike test and have a full bike license b4 being able to take your car test and you cant have one without the other.....there i've just cleared out roads of motorists and congestion :tomato:

Scorps for prime minister!!!!

Cheers everyone for all the responses

I have no intentions of passing and then jumping onto anything over 500cc.

I do and dont agree with the hp restrictions, i do as it probably will stop inexperienced people jumping straight on to something that they cant handle but then i dont agree as i believe you should have the choice.

@TheDon - if you fancy teaching me how to ride a geared bike, that'd be great!

Well there are about 150 miles between us.. so that might make it a little difficult... would be cheaper to do the CBT than to drive down lol

Free choice... nah... give me stalin any day.. lol

Free choice leads to complete and utter chaos... people dont know what to do with free choice and take it for granted..

for example.. by free choice i could give up working, get everything i need from the council and pop out 20 sprogs and get a huge house and £6k a month for being a breeder...

but by accepting my role in society i dont, and conform to a social genre that helps guide through a veil of non acceptance.... and its that path that will lead to propper society.... and

if were lucky...

one day our own nuremburg ring.. lol

Cheers everyone for all the responses

I have no intentions of passing and then jumping onto anything over 500cc.

I do and dont agree with the hp restrictions, i do as it probably will stop inexperienced people jumping straight on to something that they cant handle but then i dont agree as i believe you should have the choice.

@TheDon - if you fancy teaching me how to ride a geared bike, that'd be great!

Well there are about 150 miles between us.. so that might make it a little difficult... would be cheaper to do the CBT than to drive down lol

Well if you go for a little bike ride and end up say at rutland water :whistling: i could pop and say hello :lol:

No idea about this bike riding malarkey, but I thought the CBT took you from never having ridden to being able to ride? If it does, why would you need to be taught first? If it doesn't, what does the CBT teach? :unsure:

No idea about this bike riding malarkey, but I thought the CBT took you from never having ridden to being able to ride? If it does, why would you need to be taught first? If it doesn't, what does the CBT teach? :unsure:

Basic road craft.

Some people will take the CBT and never ride a geared bike only a twist n go, and if you go down that route you have to pass your full test within 2 yrs or you have to take the CBT again.

I just want to learn to ride a geared bike before i go so i dont have to spend extra time doing the CBT. It is just a basic training, when they believe you will not be a danger to yourself or others on the road then you get your certificate

I just want to learn to ride a geared bike before i go so i dont have to spend extra time doing the CBT. It is just a basic training, when they believe you will not be a danger to yourself or others on the road then you get your certificate

I wouldn't worry about it. The CBT will include sufficient time to teach you how to use the gears, and it's not that hard anyway. It's unlikely you'll be the only one on the course, so the more you know up front the more bored you'll be going round and round the car park with the others who are still figuring it out. Unless you're a complete ham-fisted clot with no sense of balance or common sense, you'll be out the road in the afternoon with everyone else enjoying yourself and leaving later in the day with the magic piece of paper.

You'll probably also wonder why on earth anyone wants anything faster than a 125 for the first few miles, then later when you first get on a 500, you'll wonder why on earth anyone wants anything faster than that... and so it goes on!

Don't get too hyped up about engine cc's either, some 1300cc bikes are slower than some 600s, and sometimes the 250cc machines are far more hardcore than much, much bigger bikes. Some of the most focussed, extreme bikes around are very small capacity - they might not have the acceleration you get from a bigger engine, but they carve the corners up like razor blades and are very difficult to ride well, as they have an extremely uncomfortable riding position and a tiny 1500rpm-wide powerband right at the top of the rev range.

My advice would be to get your DAS done asap, and get something like an older SV650, a Bandit, or a Fazer, which are cheap to buy, run and fix, very easy to ride, but have quality handling and decent performance you won't get bored with in just a few weeks. Also, all those bikes have well-populated and friendly web forums for advice and chat.

SV650 is a wise choice... and can be had for about £1500... the only needed thing is a front fender extender to stop rain getting into front spark plug!

The CBT is only a few hours of instruction so it doesn't teach you to ride properly. The reason it came in was that previously anyone could put on a set of L plates and take a bike out on the public road, with no supervision and absolutley no idea about the rules of the road or how the controls work. Unlike in a car where you have to be accompanied by an experienced driver. The CBT only really gets you to the point where you can reasonably safely start to learn properly.

I found that learning to ride a bike, with proper tuition, made me a better car driver too.

This has been an interesting read seeing as i'm looking to do my direct access next month. The only thing i would point out is that tooo many people make assumptions about any rider under 25... Fair enough if you have never rode before but just because you dont have a CBT or a licence yet doens't mean your a maniac. I have beenriding bikes since i was 12 you name it i rode it be it at CB90, my SP125 Runner, KX100, CR250, 500... to RS125's and ZX6R.

I will be getting a ZX6 when or should i say if lol pass. I wont be spending my money on a bike with a smaller engine as it will only cost me more money in the long run. IMHO if you ride a larger CC bike.. yes you can get into trouble, if you ride like a lemon, but you can also get out of trouble if it decides to come your way. For me i would rather not be a sitting duck.

I have seen many an accident so i am fully aware of the dangers that come with riding...watching a friend do 8 flips over a car and land on his head was not a joke and is a firm reminder of why not to ride like a c**t.

Education is better that restriction IMO i acknowledge that i'm not going to be a V-Rossi the day i pass my test lol and that with miles comes experience.

Education is better that restriction IMO i acknowledge that i'm not going to be a V-Rossi the day i pass my test lol and that with miles comes experience.

Of course it is, which is why DAS is available - more education in exchange for less restriction. It's still not going to turn you into an experienced road rider though, however much you may have ridden as a youngster.

Yes, power can get you out of trouble. But it can get into a hell of lot more trouble than it will ever get you out of...

That's not aimed just at you, evoelf, as you sound like you have seen one or two things to make you think before routinely whacking the throttle wide open and watching the horizon rush towards you. But a lot of people say things like 'you need the power to make sure you can get out the way' which is great when explaining to the missus why you need a 1000cc missile - but in reality what happens is that someone cuts you up on a roundabout, you pin the throttle and 0.1 seconds later are flying through the air after a massive highside and end up with a smashed bike and wake up to find yourself playing the 'now try and wiggle your toes' game with the paramedics.

BTW, I don't mean that to sound all preachy, but it really does take an incredible amount of self-control to really ride safely on a ZX6R or any race-rep bike especially without proper experience in road conditions. I wish I could say I always did.

That's not aimed just at you, evoelf, as you sound like you have seen one or two things to make you think before routinely whacking the throttle wide open and watching the horizon rush towards you. But a lot of people say things like 'you need the power to make sure you can get out the way' which is great when explaining to the missus why you need a 1000cc missile - but in reality what happens is that someone cuts you up on a roundabout, you pin the throttle and 0.1 seconds later are flying through the air after a massive highside and end up with a smashed bike...

LOL you dont sound like a preacher... Just someone with a few words of wisdom :) . Being cut is or hitting some diesel is prob my biggest fear when it comes to riding. There are far to many loons in 4 wheels that are completely unaware that they share the road with anyone but themselves... turn...look... oopps... you know the story.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links