Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anybody out there ever fitted or had fitted a tow bar. I have recently been quoted nearly £ 2,000 (Yes, Two thousand Pounds) to have the propper Lexus system fitted by the Lexus Main Dealers. That includes twin electrics and also a larger oil cooler which apparently you have to have.

I have made enquiries about other firms who make tow bars for this car and one of them is 'Brink' who make very good detachable bars and the price of theirs is around £250 to buy and about £350 fitted which is obviously quite a saving. Does anybody know if the Lexus bar is made by Brink as it looks very similar. I don't want to spend over £1000 if I can get the same thing for considerably less. Would be grateful if anybody knows anything about this subject.

John T.

• 11 years later...

That may (?) be necessary if towing a Caravan which I don't intend to do. I didn't fit an oil cooler to my Mercedes S320 and towed a considerable weight in a trailer for a thousand miles without any affect on my gearbox. This is mentioned as an "avoid liability" condition by Lexus imo. But anyway I really need to know the answer quickly as my mechanic is fitting today and I want to tell him if there is a rear positive post to connect to. I have read someone used the Antenna feed and I've thought about the CD feed as I don't use CD's but these would require the radio on to work, I imagine. A considerable difference in time to do the job if it has to be routed though the car and I'll do that part myself if necessary. So answer please gentlemen??

I don't think it's an " avoid liability " issue from Lexus, it's just what most normal cars with an auto box need to have when fitting a towbar..................... just in case someone is tempted to tow a caravan or a boat for some distance, so's not to potentially cause irreparable gearbox damage.......... ce la vie :whistling:

Sorry I can't help with your query, someone will very soon I would think !

Malc

If your just planing on running trailer lights, I would think a feed off the aerial would be fine. I suspect the 25amp feed is to cover a caravan fridge, perhaps electric braking, etc.

I would change the fuse for something just enough to cover the normal indicator lights

If your just planing on running trailer lights, I would think a feed off the aerial would be fine. I suspect the 25amp feed is to cover a caravan fridge, perhaps electric braking, etc.

I would change the fuse for something just enough to cover the normal indicator lights

Thanks - I would imagine Grandalf could not have had the job done for £160 if the feed had to go to the Battery.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links