Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tte Intercooler Upgrade/replacement

TTE Intercooler Upgrade

Firstly I have to say a big thank you to Rabster (for the use of his warehouse),

secondly for the extra pair of hands, and thirdly his head for bouncing ideas off.

Together we had a very successful day :D

The TTE intercooler as supplied with the TTE Supercharger has been deemed by many

as the real limiting factor in gaining more horsepower from a S/C IS200.

Katana & Pro-Lex intercoolers have been fitted to some LOC members cars, but they

have required chunks of metal being removed from the Crash Bar (amongst other mods required :o).

I wanted a larger intercooler, but really wasn't eager to have all that hassle involved :tsktsk:

I researched the exact dimensions of the original TTE Intercooler (sorry meant to say I asked Stav :winky:)

then measured the available space, and came up with a 3D shape I required the intercooler to be.

After some considerable worldwide internet searching, I actually found what I was looking for

right here in the UK on E-Bay :)

Just one slight hitch, it was about 1 inch wider than the available (guestemated) room. As I hadn't

taken off the front bumper to measure, it was going to be a crossed fingers affair, but I had enlarged

intercooler's size in width by about 3 inches, and in height by 3 inches, but with a very tiny couple

of mm depth. It did however have one major benifit, it had a cooling volume 244% larger than the

TTE Intercooler it was replacing :D

In fact 2 major benifits, secondly it cost just £82.50 including P+P :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

First off the Sport Grill was removed

22072008360.jpg

Turn the steering wheel to full lock so you can see the front edge of the inner front arch liner

Then the 2 inner arch retaining pins were removed

22072008362.jpg

Reaching inside the arch liner, the Fog Lights were disconnected,

then the Bumper Securing Bolt was removed

22072008363.jpg

The same was completed on the other side, then the bumper was supported at both ends and gently pulled away.

When it was free, the last step is to disconnect the Headlamp Washer Hose from the washer bottle pump assembly.

Bumper Removed

22072008364.jpg

Then the polystyrene crash bar pads were removed, and the new Intercooler placed for comparison

under the existing TTE Intercooler

22072008365.jpg

The TTE Intercooler was removed, and the new Intercooler was connected to the hoses

for a 1st Test Fitting (just to see what we were up against).

22072008366.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After first inspection things didn't look good. No matter what we tried, it looked like the inner curvature of

the Crash Bar was going to touch the intercooler at both ends. I didn't remember it being curved when the

Supercharger was fitted :huh: but it obviously was :tsktsk:

I really was unwilling to cut into the Crash Bar so much head scratching ensued.

After much deliberation, it was jointly decided to remove some metal from the bar in the middle in front of the

Air Conditioning Radiator.We then cut a notch in this bar, that the Power Steering 'cooler' could be attached to.

(this was originally moved for the fitment o the TTE Intercooler)

Cut & Painted (to avoid rust)

22072008371.jpg

Power Steering Cooler's new home

22072008372.jpg

With that job done, we could losely fit the new Intercooler with the bracket

22072008373.jpg

Then the un-cut Crash Bar was refitted :D

22072008374.jpg

Oh boy thats a tight fit (expecially at the ends where the crash bar curves)

22072008378.jpg

Rather than letting metal psssibly rub against metal, some sticky foam pads (in double thicknesses)

were applied to allow a bit of give, where the intercooler/crash bar met.

22072008381.jpg

Whilst I had the bumper off, I had an idea of what to do with the Lightbrows I've had since last September

(& never got around to deciding wether they were a good thing or bad :whistling:)

22072008383.jpg

then add a bit of power

22072008386.jpg

Time to refit the bumper and take a peek :D

22072008388.jpg

22072008390-1.jpg

Oh yeah happy with that B) B)

P.S no copycat :lol: :lol:

The results........

The ECU has been re-set, initial impressions over the first few miles were slightly dissapointing, little if all difference,

but the more miles I drove on the way home,the better/smoother it seemed to be running. It does seem to pull stronger

over 4,000rpm than before, but is indiccating slightly less peak boost to the pillar pod gauges.

Just under 0.5 bar compared to just over on the TTE Intercooler

IMAG0203.jpg

Stav suggested it may be the same output as before, but the larger interior volume of the new intercooler (244%) for the same

output from the Supercharger = less indicated boost ?? I am guessing that is then counteracted by the lower intake

temperature and still equals gains over before. I'm no engineer as you can probably tell.

I am making no claims about actual horsepower gains, it's just a seat of the pants feel that it is pulling harder

at about 4,000rpm upwards. It could well be a placebo effect. I'll have to give it at least 100 miles more or so

as the ECU has been re-set, and it will take some time to re-learn, and once this is done, I can re-evalute my

estimations as to how the bigger intercooler has affected horsepower/torque.

Cheers again to Rabster for all your help mate :)

everyone assumes a larger intercooler will be instantly better performance wise.

however the key factor is pressure drop, all intercoolers are not the same, some are good, some are bad its that simple, and its all down to correct sizing for the application intended, its all very well saying you have XX amount more surface area, but its all hidden....DIRECTLY behind the crash bar, not in any usefull airflow

as you have stated, the overall boost has dropped (due to pressure drop )

consider this.....TTE are a multi-million pound subsidery dealing with Toyota's motorsport concerns, with some of the worlds best automotive designers working for them, im sure they had calculated that the intercooler provided was capable of working fine with the superchargers nominal output.

However, a slightly larger intercooler, with adequate shielding and in a good path of cool air WILL see an increase, but nominal. further modifications will be required.

This is not a dig, just want to clarify that your expected outcome is not easily attainable by just putting on a generic intercooler from the internet

have to admit though, it all looks very good

However, a slightly larger intercooler, with adequate shielding and in a good path of cool air WILL see an increase, but nominal. further modifications will be required.

out of interest what effect would a nitrous or water spray have on the intercooler as a friend has it fitted on his subaru

(i was told it increases boost?)

excellent write up but you didnt put down the angle grinder sob sob that was the fun bit lol

considering the time it took to do the whole thing was around 6 hours i dont think thats to bad infact i think thats bloody good

hmmm no copycats does that include me 2 lol

......its all very well saying you have XX amount more surface area, but its all hidden....DIRECTLY behind the crash bar, not in any usefull airflow

I unserstand where you are coming from, but the pictures dont back this up, only approx 20mm of the new intercooler is hidden behind the bar.

Compare the original vs new

22072008365.jpg

where there is much more on view (width, height and also depth)and getting good air flow.

22072008374.jpg

Excuse the angle as it isn't low enough to compare directly like for like, (and the top visible cooling fin is hidden beacuse of this angle)

but there are 8 cooling rows now on show to airflow, out of a maximum total of 9. Not only is the new intercooler cooling area higher,

but it is also wider, also where the original intercooler's finned depth is 51mm (of a total depth of 63mm including the end bars), the new

intercoolers cooling fins are deeper covering the full depth of the cooler (65mm).

IntercoolerDimensions.jpg

Cheers Stav for the photo :D

TTE Intercooler

Core Size

430 x 115 x 51

Inlet/Outlet Diameter 54mm

New Intercooler

Core size

531 x 180 x 63

(180 - 20 = 160mm high of unrestricted airflow)

Inlet/Outlet Diameter 56mm

However, a slightly larger intercooler, with adequate shielding and in a good path of cool air WILL see an increase, but nominal.

I believe this will be the case, but like I said above, I have no yardstick to measure against other than my own experience in the car,

& no dyno reports as the car is an Auto (the only drawback with the Auto IS200 IMO)

This is not a dig, just want to clarify that your expected outcome is not easily attainable by just putting on a generic intercooler from the internet

no worries Matt, I totally respect your opinion :)

have to admit though, it all looks very good

I do keep exterior mods to the car to a subtle minimum, and here the lights are wired independantly from

the cars lights with a switch fed from an ignition live, so they will only go on when I want them too. I was

(after hosting the pictures and writing the thread) too tired to go out for a drive last night & take some pictures

in the dark.

Tonight however ............:whistling:

I will also try to do some more miles and make observations as to how the car is running.

Cheers guys for the comments :D

excellent write up but you didnt put down the angle grinder sob sob that was the fun bit lol

considering the time it took to do the whole thing was around 6 hours i dont think thats to bad infact i think thats bloody good

hmmm no copycats does that include me 2 lol

Rabster is a dangerous man with an angle grinder :winky:

Total 6 hours including food/drink breaks, internet surfing (addicted to LOC) and plently idea swapping too :huh:

You can copy mate as it was shared thinking all day long :duh:

need to loose that number plate, thats restricting and disrupting flow :whistling:

I mentioned that to Rabster yesterday :lol:

When I get around to putting my private reg on, the new plates will be moved slightly to accomodate more airflow :D

Well done on the bravery side guys :winky: Looks like you have done a good job :D

Though I hate to, but I must say (& I know its all down to personal taste :P ) those led's look like a max power meets knight rider affair...sorry post-7245-1216808859.gif

.....and not forgetting the KITT voice on the satnav commands :tomato:

The intercooler looks good and lower down than original?? which would help airflow.

The LEDs are a bit rice burner for me too, especially if they light up the road when they are on at night.

Well done on the bravery side guys :winky: Looks like you have done a good job :D

Re: bravery

I thought that if we get into trouble Rabster (Andrew) knows what he is doing so we should be alright :winky:

The problem is he thought the same about me & he didn't care as it isn't his car :lol:

I must say (& I know its all down to personal taste :P ) those led's look like a max power meets knight rider affair...sorry post-7245-1216808859.gif

oh my :o :crybaby:

1. they aren't on all the time, and will be used spariingly (I have a very discrete switch)

2. they aren't Blue, Green, or Red Neons :sick:

3. no silly graphics all over the car

4. they don't flash/strobe/sequence to the music

5. it's a Lexus not a Saxo/Scooby/Evo

6. no handbrake turns or donuts (well maybe a few chocolate ones :winky:)

7. as a passer by you wouldn't know they were there unless I switched them on

I did buy them ages ago last year (for about £13) and had to use them for something other than as "Firelighters" (sorry couldn't resist that :lol:)

Could'nt you of made a bracket for the IC to sit lower than the crash panel as this would aid air flow, failing that what about moving the number plate backing plate a little higher.

Nice job BTW :D

I'll hold comment on the LED's as your a nice guy. :D

.....and not forgetting the KITT voice on the satnav commands :tomato:

I have Mr.T on my PDA with TomTom :lol:

btw the way the lights are set up, they point backwards away from the bumper (& the road) and purely

shine towards the I/C so you see only reflected white light. There is a small lip on the edge of the mesh.

22072008383.jpg

Also no-one has spotted the "other mod" :whistling:

Could'nt you of made a bracket for the IC to sit lower than the crash panel as this would aid air flow, failing that what about moving the number plate backing plate a little higher.

The IC now has only space about 8-10mm underneath it before the bumper wouldn't go back on. It's very tight there.

The number plate surround may well get modified/removed when I get around to putting the private reg on, so I can

move the plate higher.

As for the LED's, you work in an industry where most Trucks have hundreds of lights on them on the cab superflous to requirements.

I also reserve comment as you are a nice guy :whistling:

I must say (& I know its all down to personal taste :P ) those led's look like a max power meets knight rider affair...sorry post-7245-1216808859.gif

oh my :o :crybaby:

1. they aren't on all the time, and will be used spariingly (I have a very discrete switch)

2. they aren't Blue, Green, or Red Neons :sick:

3. no silly graphics all over the car

4. they don't flash/strobe/sequence to the music

5. it's a Lexus not a Saxo/Scooby/Evo

6. no handbrake turns or donuts (well maybe a few chocolate ones :winky:)

7. as a passer by you wouldn't know they were there unless I switched them on

I did buy them ages ago last year (for about £13) and had to use them for something other than as "Firelighters" (sorry couldn't resist that :lol:)

ok I'll let you off ....for now :whistling:

:lol: @ firelighters

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links