Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 1998 With Satnav -unlocking Code Needed

Hello -I have a S400 with Lexus Satnav - screen also controls climate & radio. It is asking me to input a code. I have tried the last 3 & 4 numbers of the VIN number. I phoned Lexus GB - no help. I phoned 3 local Lexus main dealers. 2 said 'no can do' 1 said 'can reset to factory' at £67.00 plus VAT. are they simply going to press buttons or do they have a machine? Is there an easy way to reset this code. I have tried the previous owner - no joy. It is not written anywhere in the handbooks etc. Thanks.

Hello -I have a S400 with Lexus Satnav - screen also controls climate & radio. It is asking me to input a code. I have tried the last 3 & 4 numbers of the VIN number. I phoned Lexus GB - no help. I phoned 3 local Lexus main dealers. 2 said 'no can do' 1 said 'can reset to factory' at £67.00 plus VAT. are they simply going to press buttons or do they have a machine? Is there an easy way to reset this code. I have tried the previous owner - no joy. It is not written anywhere in the handbooks etc. Thanks.

Hi

Mines got a similar screen and its never asked for a code... have you tried disconnecting the Battery for 30 mins to see if that "resets" it....

Maybe someone else has come across this...

Pete

theres one for sale on auto trader and one of the pics shows the screen asking them the same question - not having the privelage of owning one ( i own mk 3) i was asking myself wether this was normal or not??

According to my handbook there is no code set at the factory, it's up to the owner to put one in if he wishes, I assume that in the past someone has done just that.

The problem is that to turn the security system off, you first have to enter the code-- which you don't have. It appears that you can have 10 attempts to enter the code before the system becomes "completely inoperable" at this point the book refers you to your Lexus dealer, (so they can do something for you, at a price).

I can't see the point of setting the code as the system is no good to anyone without a Lexus and we wouldn't pinch one would we!

Have you just bought the car and inherited the previous owners problem? If not I can't understand why the previous owner has no knowledge of the code or the problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I asked a dealer and they wanted to remove the console of my car and send it away for unlocking. I didn't even ask how much that was going to cost!

I hacked the code out of mine manually - to read about the adventure, go here: http://evansweb.info/articles/2007/04/18/forty-two-seventy

Summary: if you go to the "change code" screen, it starts by asking you what the current code is, and if you get it wrong it just asks you again. So, occasionally at lunchtimes I've been going to the car and entering security codes in blocks of 100, which takes about 5 minutes.

I guess the previous owner did know the code, but didn't want to tell you because he used the same code for his credit card pin, his house alarm, and everything else :whistling:

I'm different though, I use different numbers for everything. Pain in the neck to remember them all :winky:

When I bought my LS I was told that you can override the need for the code, I am not sure if this is the info that you need but it might be worth a try.

I have not tried this myself, it came on a seperate piece of paper in my Sat Nav and Stereo instruction book.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (combination meter warning lights illuminated)

While pressing CLIMATE and AUDIO switches simultaneously, turn the HEADLIGHT CONTROL SWITCH in the following sequence:

OFF~SIDE LIGHTS~OFF~SIDE LIGHTS~OFF~SIDE LIGHTS

The SYSTEM CHECK will become displayed on the screen. It will take approx. 30 seconds for the check to be completed - the display will change from CHECKING to OK

Once all the function checks display OK then press MENU. The DIAGMENU will be displayed

Starting with the AUDIO button, follow the sequence:

AUDIO~DESTINATION~AUDIO~DESTINATION~AUDIO~DESTINATION

The SECURITY menu will be displayed. Using the numeric keys enter 440215. Press ENTER

The displaywill return to the DIAGMENU. Switch the IGNITION SWITCH to the OFF position. The security code is now cleared - the unit will operate normally.

PLease ensure that a new security code is re-entered with the customers knowledge.

As I said before I have no idea if this will work, maybe you can let us know how you get on...

Redsteve.

• Like 6

As I said before I have no idea if this will work, maybe you can let us know how you get on...

I couldn't resist trying it - and it works!

Thanks Redsteve, saved for future reference.

Jon

• Like 1

I couldn't resist trying it - and it works!

Thanks Redsteve, saved for future reference.

Jon

Yippee, I was a bit scared in case it was the self destruct code.

Redsteve.

• 1 month later...
When I bought my LS I was told that you can override the need for the code, I am not sure if this is the info that you need but it might be worth a try.

I have not tried this myself, it came on a seperate piece of paper in my Sat Nav and Stereo instruction book.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (combination meter warning lights illuminated)

While pressing CLIMATE and AUDIO switches simultaneously, turn the HEADLIGHT CONTROL SWITCH in the following sequence:

The SYSTEM CHECK will become displayed on the screen. It will take approx. 30 seconds for the check to be completed - the display will change from CHECKING to OK

Once all the function checks display OK then press MENU. The DIAGMENU will be displayed

The SECURITY menu will be displayed. Using the numeric keys enter 440215. Press ENTER

The displaywill return to the DIAGMENU. Switch the IGNITION SWITCH to the OFF position. The security code is now cleared - the unit will operate normally.

PLease ensure that a new security code is re-entered with the customers knowledge.

Redsteve.

Redsteve, MAN, you RULE! You just saved the day! I couldn't believe this could work, but... I unlocked the whole board-computer just a couple of minutes ago! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I spent 3 days searching the web for the solution of this problem with no luck. I tried to go to a local Lexus dealer - no luck too. They said they needed a code that I didn't have or they could unlock it for about $200 asking for the code in Brussel. Wow! I came home, tried to look over the net again and TA-DAA! I got the solution, YOUR SOLUTION and man, it worked! You are great!

• Like 2

• 6 years later...

Hi Redsteve

You saved my life. Code came on my car when I disconnected the Battery and thought £££££££ when no function on the car worked at all for security reasons.

I to had no security code. I thought give your system a try and whoolaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love you as you saved me a big headache and probably money....

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I got my mk4 back today from having its cambelt changed and found the Battery had been disconnected so the radio needed a code which I haven't got. Just to let you know that this solution worked great and it's all back to normal now. Thanks for posting it!!!

3 hours ago, Titch LS said:

Wow! This forum has better solutions to problems (via the helpful membership) than any of the Lexus Dealerships!!

You're right. I expect that tips and tricks like this are things Lexus never wanted us mere mortals to know about!! 😜

I am pleased so many people have found this useful.

I am guessing from the last line of the instructions saying about the customer, this little gem was liberated from a Lexus dealer without their knowledge.

Steve.

• 2 months later...
On 22/8/2008 at 6:21 PM, Redsteve said:

Redsteve.

Redsteve you absolutely smashed it with this post. Ive been driving around with no stereo, satnav or temp controls for 2 months since the kids drained my Battery by leaving the internal lights on. Didnt want to get ripped off by the dealership to get it done so searched on here. I just joined this club just so i could say thanks to you for this post, it sounds like youve saved a lot of people a lot of grief with this one. Well played.

My pleasure Glenn.

Welcome to the forum.

You will find some amazing knowledge on here from the members, I have been stunned by the technical know-how of some members.

Did you use the Sat-Nav code in a GS?

Steve.

Yeah its a 1999 GS300 with the satnav unit. All the other threads i found were for the other unit with numbers 1-6 on it which im assuming is the non satnav unit. My dealership told me it would need resetting by a technician and no doubt would have wanted £100 or so. Couldnt believe it when i found your post, then when i read the instructions i thought it was a wind up! As for joining the forum yeah im well pleased there seems to be some good knowledge on here. My gs wasnt well maintained by the previous owner so ive got loads of little bits to sort out so this forum is gonna be really handy. Thanks again mate.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links