Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which Small Suv For 10-12k?

Hi,

new to this forum and after a bit of help. My parents are looking to buy a car that they can get in and out off easily (mobility issues), is automatic and is easy to drive.

Small SUV's are ideal really and I've had a look at the Toyota Rav4, Nissan X-Trail and Honda CRV. The Rav being the front-runner.

Our budget was originally £10k which would purchase a nice example of any of the above.

The problem is for a little more money (say 12k) an RX300 is a possibility. Has anyone had experience with both the Rav and the RX300?

The RX is a bigger than what they need, but the Rav-4 seems like a step down after a driving an Audi in terms of the interior quality. The Rx seems to offer so much more car for the money, and I don't think fuel costs would differ too much (all the above in petrol with autos give around 18-24mpg around town).

My other concern is I may not be able to buy from Lexus and therefore wouldn't have the warranty etc.

Any feedback or help would be most appreciated. I really don't want to land them a car they can't afford to run (insurance, tax, servicing etc)!

Cheers,

Abid

The Toyata and Nissan are very good cars (the Honda is good too, I just don't like it!) Personally I would reccommend the Lexus, as you say, on interior quality and overall car for the money. I have driven the RAV4, but have not driven the RX, so can't make exact comparisons, but the Lex will be nicer to drive, smoother and more powerful. An RX would be cheaper (closer to original budget) if you buy privatly, but you may well value the overall service (including warrenty) that the extra money at the dealer will buy you.

Just my opinion though, ultimatly it is down to you/your parents.

A mate of mine has a RAV 4 and all he does is drool after my RX

I would suggest they test drive both but to be honest, after an Audi I think they will want the RX over the RAV

hi

im looking at selling my rx 300 4 a rav 4 for the misses but only spending £5000 max,i was hoping rav 4 would be alot better on feul as

she will be using car alot when she passes her test,the lexus would be too heavy on petrol 4 her to run all the time,what age rx would they be interested

in?

not sure about the lvery latest Rav 4, but my mum has a 55 plate one (shes changing it in september), and she cant wait to get rid, very disappointed with it. Her previous car was a Rav 4 which she loved and kept from new for 7 years.

Whilst there was an obvious step up in terms of quality and what you get, the actually buid quality has been very poor. Mechanically it has been fine as you would expect, but there interior looks shocking after 3 years and its not like she treats it badly. Trim scratched and falling off all over the place.

After this one, shes not bothering getting the 'new' Rav4 as it has put her off. Thinks shes opting for the Nissan Murano instead

Hi,

I too have a Rav4 mate. Top of the range, definately First Division. RX300 with sat nav, your into the Champions Leage now.

I wouldn't worry about the Lexus warranty. It's good, but these things are ultra reliable so providing you buy carefully, you shouldn't need it. If you must have something, Tesco will provide a top level warranty for £400. ( 2003 car on 40k miles)

I have found the cost of servicing at my local Lexus dealer to very reasonable. (£200 for major service) Obviously they are heavy on fuel and big road tax bills looming.

Summary:

1. Forget the Rav4, the back door will annoy.

2. Go for Rx300 SE Nav as a minimum with low miles as poss.

3. Get an AA or RAC inspection.

4. Bargain hard for a decent discount, Lexus dealers must be struggling to sell at the moment.

5. Enjoy a superb vehicle.

Thanks for the replies - interesting comments about the Rav-4. I did feel the interior look a little cheap but thought they'd be more durable.

itchy- it would be a Mark2 RX 2003 onwards.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links