Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aftermarket Ecu Options

Hi all,

I'm from New Zealand and a member of the Altezza club here.

I just got hold of this and am planning on putting it into my Altezza (lexus)...

Complete running engine conversion from 1999 Altezza.

1G-FE 6cylinder 2litre Beams DOHC engine done approx 140k kms fitted with TTE (Team Toyota Europe?) supercharger kit including supercharger unit, all piping with bar & plate front mount intercooler (painted black so unnoticable) modified throttle body, custom TTE top airbox unit with high flow air filter. Comes with manual conversion parts as well- bellhousing, flywheel, HD Exedy clutch to suit W55/57/58 gearbox.

all up that cost me 912.54 euro ($1950.00 NZ so it was a good deal IMHO)

The problem I have is it doesn't include the piggy back ecu, the previous owner was using a boost cut defender to get this thing running.

What I'm wanting to know is if any of you have tried or have information on a suitable aftermarket ECU that will do the job.

These things are rare as hen's teeth down this way so I don't really have anyone else to ask.

Cheers for any advice you can give.

Thomas

Welcome mate.

The 6 cylinder wasnt a Beams engine as far as i know, just in the altezza it had a beams sticker on the airbox.

But anyway the engine you've bought sounds like the standard IS200 engine with the TTE kit, the basic setup of what i've got.

If it doesnt have the black box piggyback, then you can use a HKS FCD (STD type) on setting Ten, this does the same job more or less.

Theres plenty of threads about them if you search.

912Euros! thats about £800 over here i think. Thats a ****in bargin! the kit alone with out the engine, or fly or anything are going for £2000 if they ever come up for sale!

But theres plenty of threads about on fitting the charger, and also the fitting of the FCD.

Good luck with it and welcome to LOC

Stav

aaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

STOP IT...everyone stop it

BEAMS was nothing special its not some amazing engine

it was just an acronym that Toyota put on the japanese engines, like BMW use VANOS, all it is, is the variable inlet tract set up on the induction system, and the variable camshaft mechanism VVTi (or as rover called theres VVC, or V-Tec by Honda)

BEAMS means, Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System

it doesnt mean, hey this engine is amazing, in japan the Altezza had it on the cam covers, on both the 4 cylinder black top 3s-ge engine and on the 1g-fe

another one is OOOOOhhhhh its got a yamaha head, no its not, it has had a cylinder head that toyota and yamaha worked in conjunction with,

aaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

STOP IT...everyone stop it

BEAMS was nothing special its not some amazing engine

it was just an acronym that Toyota put on the japanese engines, like BMW use VANOS, all it is, is the variable inlet tract set up on the induction system, and the variable camshaft mechanism VVTi (or as rover called theres VVC, or V-Tec by Honda)

BEAMS means, Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System

it doesnt mean, hey this engine is amazing, in japan the Altezza had it on the cam covers, on both the 4 cylinder black top 3s-ge engine and on the 1g-fe

another one is OOOOOhhhhh its got a yamaha head, no its not, it has had a cylinder head that toyota and yamaha worked in conjunction with,

Deep breath Mat, deep breath :whistling:

The 6 cylinder wasnt a Beams engine as far as i know, just in the altezza it had a beams sticker on the airbox.

Stav...Thay could not put lexus on the airbox as it is Toyota altezza, and at the time lexus was not lexus in Japan :o so thay had to put something on :P

Please look at the top of this 1g-fe from Japan, its the std engine, albeit with the JDM filter cage

beams2000.jpg

d3gnarts3 congratulations on buying a supercharger very cheap, regards the engine though, you have bought exactly what you already had though with a JDM air filter cage

regards piggy back, as has been said use the HKS voltage clamp

d3gnarts3 congratulations on buying a supercharger very cheap, regards the engine though, you have bought exactly what you already had though with a JDM air filter cage

Yeah I know I got the same engine, it's only the supercharger I really wanted... I'd been here being nosey in the past and saw what you guys were paying for them and worked out the conversion... recovered from the mild heart attack, and had all but given up on that dream and was looking into a 1UZ-FE conversion until I saw this come up on a local internet auction site and snapped it up before anyone else could as I know what it's worth.

Here's the link to the site where I got it

Bonus thing is the engine i just purchased has 60k less on the clock than the one I currently have in the car, everything is already bolted onto it so am likely going to do a complete swap out and keep my current motor as a spare and perhaps make it a bit stronger with different cams, pistons etc.

Appreciate your advice everyone, I'm going to go with the HKS FCD for now as it's the cheapest way to get the thing running in time for my clubs next big meet :) later I'm going to look at a Link G4 as they are kinda expensive at the moment.

Next question... my car is currently an auto and the parts I just brought are now giving me an option to convert to manual, what do you suggest for the supercharger? stay auto or go with a supra 5 spd manual?

Yeah I know I got the same engine, it's only the supercharger I really wanted... I'd been here being nosey in the past and saw what you guys were paying for them and worked out the conversion... recovered from the mild heart attack, and had all but given up on that dream and was looking into a 1UZ-FE conversion until I saw this come up on a local internet auction site and snapped it up before anyone else could as I know what it's worth.

Bonus thing is the engine i just purchased has 60k less on the clock than the one I currently have in the car, everything is already bolted onto it so am likely going to do a complete swap out and keep my current motor as a spare and perhaps make it a bit stronger with different cams, pistons etc.

Appreciate your advice everyone, I'm going to go with the HKS FCD for now as it's the cheapest way to get the thing running in time for my clubs next big meet :) later I'm going to look at a Link G4 as they are kinda expensive at the moment.

Next question... my car is currently an auto and the parts I just brought are now giving me an option to convert to manual, what do you suggest for the supercharger? stay auto or go with a supra 5 spd manual?

why put a supra 5 speed w58 on...when you can use the is200 6 speed j160

you will need the manual ecu to run the car aswell either way

I found Yamaha stamped on the side of my Celica engine. Is it the exact same engine (with the edition of vvti)

d3gnarts3, you have done well! ECU replacement may well cost as much as the engine! And will need expert mapping. Go for an FCD, only around £80, will see ya right.

I found Yamaha stamped on the side of my Celica engine. Is it the exact same engine (with the edition of vvti)

d3gnarts3, you have done well! ECU replacement may well cost as much as the engine! And will need expert mapping. Go for an FCD, only around £80, will see ya right.

Doubt it, Yamaha have never had any input on Toyota engines, only collaboration work on effectuate Cylinder head design

Yamaha had input on the twin cam Black(dual VVTi) top 3s-ge engines and the Red top 3s-ge engines only

d3gnarts3, it will be very difficult to run the car on a stand alone link ecu as the remaining ecu's in the car are all linked through multiplex system, if you remove the main ecu, the remainder will not work, these other ecu's are

dash ecu(most important), sunroof/windows ecu, abs/traction ecu, alarm ecu and airbag ecu

Keep it auto, the auto run very well with supercharger fitted :D

......... stay auto or go with a supra 5 spd manual?

indeed they do :whistling:

and so do the manuals......... :blink:

the manuals will also take more abuse, and be capable of handling future upgrades

......... stay auto or go with a supra 5 spd manual?

indeed they do :whistling:

and so do the manuals......... :blink:

the manuals will also take more abuse, and be capable of handling future upgrades

Very true Mat , i can vouch for that :D

why put a supra 5 speed w58 on...when you can use the is200 6 speed j160

you will need the manual ecu to run the car aswell either way

Reason I was considering a W58 or similar box is because I have a bellhousing that mates up to the W5x series and the 1g-fe engine, these are custom made. I also have a flywheel and HD exeedy clutch to suit that gearbox, so if it's a way to keep the costs down then it's an option I'd consider exploring unless some one can give me a reason other than "a j160 is 6 speed" which is stronger? the w5x series or the j160? if the j160 is stronger then that'd be of interest.

Fabrication of mounts etc isn't a problem as a very good mate is a race car fabricator / certified engineer and can do anything required in this area.

I don't actually know the price of a J160 gearbox as opposed to a w58 as they don't seem to be available that often via my local auction site trademe... and I'm yet to contact a wrecker to see if they have anything and an indication of price.

RE the manual ECU can't I just bridge the auto plug in park?

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of fitting my charger and I've made a weird discovery... I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance.

The ECU of my car is the same as that pictured for a manual... it's missing the middle plug...

Only thing is my car is an auto! I also don't have the auto cooler thingy that needs to be moved out of the way by the radiator :/

Now I've been looking at the wiring guide Sparkystav posted up in a previous thread, from what I can make out of it I need to wire power of my piggy back ecu to E8 for power and earth to A21, one of the other wires for your black or silver piggy back ECU appears to connect to B9 which is the ignition signal.

However the piggy back I'm using is after market, made by a new zealand company called re-map, the guy told me to wire it upto the map sensor, so it appears I'd need to hook it into B1

Can anyone confirm if this would be correct?

Would greatfully appreciate any guidance you can give me here.

What Durrantie's put up is right,

The signal is not an ignition signal, thats the red one, theres only power to it when your keys in.

The green and yellow wires adjust the airflow.

Your looking to cut a green wire with a red stripe.

Stav

Cheers guys,

I'll dort out the wiring in the morning, gonna goto sleep now :)

thanks for the advice... appears my ECU is different to yours as i don't have the same plugs for my car which is an auto... my ecu looks like the manual ECU's diagram from the wiring chart for the SXE10 3S-GE – Engine Control ECU Pin Configuration and that has them labelled ABCDE from left to right while looking towards the left hand side of the car from the right hand side.

I know I've got a GXE10 but the ECU looks the same as that diagram.. as far as the plugs go anyway.

In the daylight i'll be able to see the colours of the wire Sparkystav mentioned and will let you all know how I get on.

hey all, much thanks for the information supplied, it's worked a treat :)

Initially the car was sluggish and barely able to move forward, but a little adjustment of a potentiometer the guy had fitted worked wonders and the car seems to just want to go now.

This will do until my HKS FCD arrives which is a little more proven... at least for now I can get moving again.

Time to go and fit the bumper and under engine cover back on then go catch my ferry home.

Again thanks everyone, you've been a MASSIVE help!