Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which Oil?

I'm using 5W 30 Castrol Magnatec at the moment, the manual tells you different oils which depends on temperatures, either 10W40 or 15W40 should be good. Semi synthetic or fully synthetic not mineral oil.

Hmm well I went on the opie oils site and they recommend a different grade so I dont know what to do. What does it say in the lexus owners book as I havent got one unfortunatly. Btw, the cars done only 14k ;)

The Lexus owners book say:

20w-50

15w-40

10w-30

5w-30

API SJ, SL.

I'm using 5w-30 fully synt.

I couldn't say which is the "best" oil, but the same diagram that is in the owner's manual is in the online workshop manual here.

Go into the "Repair Manual" section, then "Lubrication", then "Oil and Filter", then "Inspection". There's a chart showing that the type of oil varies depending on the temperatures in which the car is going to be used.

The type of oil you use depends on the use of your Lex, that ist weather conditions and if it´s tuned or not.

I have had goed experiences wil Castrol of Mobil 1 5w 30, 5w 40 or 5 w 50 all fully synthetic,

the 0w 30 was imho a bit too thin but could also be an option.

Basically I thing every oil between 0w 30 and 15w 40 is ok as long as the api sl approval is there and it´s branded.

Difference between 0w-5w and 10w and up is that the car starts better at lower temperatures and the motor ist lubracated much faster after a cold start, especially the difference between 5w and 15w is too big and my car ran a lot better after removing the new 15w40 oil the garage put erratically in it and exchanging it for 5w 40.

I'm using 15W 40 Castrol Magnatec at the moment, the manual tells you different oils which depends on temperatures, either 10W40 or 15W40 should be good. Semi synthetic or fully synthetic not mineral oil.

Magnatec isn't a synthetic oil. Its mineral, despite what it says on the tin.

From Castrol's website:

Is Castrol Magnatec Synthetic or Semi Synthetic?

Castrol Magnatec 5W-30A1 is a fully synthetic formulation for improved performance in extreme cold temperatures.

Magnatec 10W-40 and 15W-40 are both part synthetic. All grades of Magnatec contain Intelligent Molecules for active and continuous protection.

From Castrol's website:

Castrol Magnatec 5W-30A1 is a fully synthetic formulation for improved performance in extreme cold temperatures.

Magnatec 10W-40 and 15W-40 are both part synthetic. All grades of Magnatec contain Intelligent Molecules for active and continuous protection.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32348

From Castrol's website:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32348

I saw that too mate but all those posts are back in 2005, not sure to be honest, the container defo said fully synthetic?

Magnatec is just a cheap oil that is marketed so people think it's a good quality oil. Its a mineral based oil but Castrol say it has SPECIAL particles etc!! A lot of oils nowadays are labled up as Semi-synthetic or fully synthetic but the cheaper oils are what's called hydrocracked mineral oils which are manufactured to have the same properties as a non hydrocracked oil, the reason for this is that mineral oil is very cheap and much cheaper than a TRUE synthetic oil. I would spend your money on Fuchs/Silkolene or Mobil oils which are better quality. With oils it's one thing that you definately get what you pay for.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but seeing as I'm looking to get some oil this week I've been looking at the 5w-30 fuchs xtr but can someone tell me if it'll be ok in my car. As some people have mentioned it depends on what kinda driving I'll be doing, well its mostly motorway mileage that I do so will need something good for that so any opions welcome...

Synthetic oil will provider longer lasting protection than mineral based oils and wont breakdown as much over the time its used. It also provides better protection of internal engine parts, more so on start up.

0/30, 5/30 consistencies is again more than good enough. These will be thinner and appear more liquidy when you pour them. It is usually why its not recommended for high mileage engines as its can eek out any leakes the leaks in the engine. Although I dont see this as a huge problem with todays engineering tolerances.

Personally, I would go for Mobil, as Ive used this in my Astra (yet to use it in the Lexus) and also Castrol. Havent heard of Fuchs, but I am sure it too will be more than good enough.

Personally, I would go for Mobil, as Ive used this in my Astra (yet to use it in the Lexus) and also Castrol. Havent heard of Fuchs, but I am sure it too will be more than good enough.

I've used Silkoline or Fuchs for years and they are the best. IMHO stay away from Castrol as has been stated there is to much confusion regards what it is, at least with the other two you know what you get.......... :shifty:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links