Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Key Fob Batteries ?

Good Evening All

My missus had a problem this morning when she went to use her key fob to unlock the car........... it would not work at all ...... not even to open the boot.

She got my set of keys but alas the same thing happened.

After about 5 mins of pushing all of the buttons and a few choice words no doubt, .......it finally unlocked and away she went.

At first I thought of the batteries may need changing, but for both key fobs to go at the same time, highly unlikely!!!!

About a week ago I was sat in the car with the key in the ignition (engine not running) listening to the radio, when I went to start it just kept turning over and over. After a couple of attempts, away she went with no further problems.

I think I will change both fob batteries as a matter of course as I really cant remember if I have changed them since I got the car about 3 years ago.

Other than that has anybody got any ideas as to where I should be looking or just take it as a blip.

Many Thanks in anticipation

Nick

I think I will change both fob batteries as a matter of course as I really cant remember if I have changed them since I got the car about 3 years ago.

Other than that has anybody got any ideas as to where I should be looking or just take it as a blip.

If you're lucky Nick it's the batteries in the fobs (likely if it affected the starting as well), but I had to change the receiver in the car for the same symptoms about 6 months ago. The fault was intermittent until one day the remotes refused to operate and had to use the keys manually.

If you're lucky Nick it's the batteries in the fobs (likely if it affected the starting as well), but I had to change the receiver in the car for the same symptoms about 6 months ago. The fault was intermittent until one day the remotes refused to operate and had to use the keys manuallyl.

Cheers Tango

Lets just hope it is the batteries

That receiver sounds as if I may need another mortage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same problem a while back, tried the spares, same problem - turned out all the batteries were dead! Won't need to reprogram after changing the battery.

Many Thanks

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Some cars do have rechargeable batteries in the fobs - I think Mercs used to (probably still do!) that charge up when they're in the ignition barrel. I think some VW's have them as well, but not sure. As has been mentioned, they do eventually wear out - but you generally get a bit more warning when they're dieing, as they start losing their charge if not used for a few days - but at least once you get in the car they will charge up a bit and not leave you setting the alarm off each time you get in the car!

It was mentioned about the engine turning over and not starting as well - I don't think this will be down to the keyfob batteries - most immobiliser chips aren't actually powered by a Battery, they simply pick up radio magnetic waves given out by the transmitter/receiver aerial around the lock barrel, and there is enough energy there for them to kind of reflect back the code. In any case, you can still start the car even if you haven't actually turned off the alarm using the remote! The immobiliser chip is inside the remote part of the keyfob that comes out when you take the key apart though. The car not starting for a few turns was probably just down to it flooding itself as IS's seem to do every once in a while. I could of course be wrong here though, but that is the normal set up for most cars. If any one really wants to test it (don't all rush at once now...), try taking the Battery out of the remote and then starting the car!

No you wont need to mate

No, you should not have to.

But both not working at the same time may be a sign they need reprogramming. Change the batteries, they cost a couple of quid. If you still have problems, reprogramme yourself using this guide as many others have. If they are dead, and are dead for too long, they may loose the programming that way. But you say they worked eventually so batteries should sort it.

HOW TO PROGRAMME KEYS.