Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk2 Is200/300

I recently read that Lexus are planning to release the Mk2 IS200 in 2005, and the line-up will include a :sick:diesel.

Personally, I'd much prefer if Lexus offered the Mk2 IS with a coupe and convertable version.

As for smaller changes.... the things I want:

Stereo controls on the steering wheel ;)

Option for full leather :D

higher revving engines (on at least the sport) :lol:

Twin exhaust (on sport again) B)

Individual climate control for driver/passenger :blink:

Option for cassette player to be replaced with Minidisk :shifty:

I wondered what other IS drivers would like on the Mk2... and if there is any way to pass these onto Lexus (you never know) :question:

And my final thought.... if it looks anything like the new Avensis :crybaby: ... I'm buying a S2000!

More performance definately, even from the standard 2 litre.

Mini disk seem very old technology now and have never really taken off. How about an MP3 compatible cd player, even a DAB tuner.

Steering wheels controls definately, and a trip computer!

Things like individual climate control they will probably always keep for the bigger models.

there should definitely be better fuel consumption combined with more power (maybe one of these hybrid engines)

there should also be all the gadgets available on mercs and bmws

i definitely agree with the DAB tuner (i don't know why even cars like the LS, S-class and 7 series still dont have them) and some kind of MP3 player (preferably big hard drive)

and they need to illuminate the switches for the windows and mirrors (its so irritating that they can't do something simple like that which you can find on absolutely any car :angry: )

finally, i'd like to see a car that will come up on tv shows as the best small sports saloon! (better even than a BM 3-series!)

If you're looking for clues to the look or spec of the next IS, keep an eye on Toyota's new model releases in Japan.

Many more models are released in Japan that NEVER see european or US shores.

The next IS will likely be released in Japan first, as a Toyota.

If you're looking for clues to the look or spec of the next IS, keep an eye on Toyota's new model releases in Japan.

Many more models are released in Japan that NEVER see european or US shores.

The next IS will likely be released in Japan first, as a Toyota.

Well, I'd expect it to be the Alzetta again???

Or am I wrong in that assumption?? :duh:

If they want to sell to business customers they'll need to reduce the CO2 emissions which determine company car tax. BMW and Mercedes have been working hard at this, although both provide 4cyl engines (emissions will always be higher in a small 6 cyl than a 4).

Of course, reducing emissions needs to go hand-in-hand with some more low-down torque. (A diesel would provide both, but I HATE diesels.)

Is there any reason why a rear drive car can't have folding rear seats? My (front drive) Avensis had folding rear seats even though it was a booted saloon.

My gripes with the current IS2/300 is the (lack of) attention to detail...

- Illuminated foot wells

- Reading/map lights in the rear

- Illuminated window buttons

- Better quality switchgear

- Arm rest for the front passengers

- Trip computer

- Dual zone climate control

- Digital display climate control

Wish list would include...

- Sat nav that does not require a 2nd mortgage

- Higher quality alloys

- Better paint finish

- Less drap interior

- Split/Folding rear seat

- Power to match it's looks

- Cruise Control standard (really miss that)

- Xenon's standard

- etc

- etc

firstly, how do they release so many different models in Japan, do they not undergo any development?

as they have now separated lexus and toyota and that they are now going to sell lexus in japan too, i assume that the next small lexus to be launched in japan will be the new IS!

digital climate display would be nice but i hope they keep the knobs rather than silly buttons in other cars

i don't think that not having folding seats is anything to do with rear wheel drive, i think its just cos in japan they like the boot to be completely sealed off even if the car is open (hence no release for boot except inside car and on key) :ph34r:

dont we already have an armrest? :blink:

My gripes with the current IS2/300 is the (lack of) attention to detail...

- Dual zone climate control

- Digital display climate control

What benefit does that give? I sat in a £106K Merc SL55 AMG yesterday and that had similar dials to the IS200 (i.e no digital display), didn't look out of place at all and a digital display might even have looked 'tacky'. A digital display is no clearer to read and cars that have buttons take longer time to change several degree's as that's a lot of button presses.

Also cars with separate passenger controls I find I'm always changing both at the same time, as I drive most of the time on my own.

I have to say I've never once wished for illuminated foot wells of even rear map lights.

Hmmmmm.............

I think keeping the IS 200 as a 2L engine is good but more power from the unit is obviously possible (dont know why they didnt just use the same set up as the Altezza......i think has 210 HP?) although this may affect Insurance groupings.

Better paint is a must, i have seen the problem on other toyota models, not just the IS's.

And the 5 yr warranty (suggested earlier) would mebe convince me to buy another :yawn:

Oh and anti bird poo mode......whereby when the little buggers watch you and poop right after you clean it....it blows the little ****$%^%%$&$%^£ away :ph34r:

Oh and another thing (as someone has suggested)... the new IS200/300 has got to be a real looker!

If it's anything like the new Avensis - which has got to be one of the ugliest new cars around now I've seen it in the flesh (barring anything currently made by Citröen)... then I'm sticking with the current IS! :P

Hope they don't change the external appearance at all, the car already posesses awesome looks.

Must put a more durable paint on to prevent beards of white chips over the front end.

More guts required from under the bonnet.

alloys are nice looking already but must have something done to increase resistance to corrosion.

In addition to electric and heated front seats, I would love to see memory put on the Dvrs seat.

Knock ten grand off the retail price and blow up all slimey rip off Lexus car salesmen, especially those who work in Swindon. :lol::lol:

before we slate or pick faults with the present IS models lets remember this car is over 5 years old in design

the next model IS** will not be a completely different car, it is going to be a big face lift on the current model, why change a chassis thats competent. and one that will accomodate the futre propossed engines, and transmissions

propossed new engine line ups are all V6, they will be droping the inline 6 engines

2.5v6

either a 3.0 or 3.3 v6

development on a 4.3 v8 underway

there will be a diesel, the engine is jointly being developed with BMW

there will be a 5 speed automatic, no news on manual gearbox's as of yet

and there will be a 4x4 variant using the same split system as fitted to the Altezza Gita in japan

some of this infomation i have had confirmed to me, some is assumption going of what has been confirmed

before we slate or pick faults with the present IS models lets remember this car is over 5 years old in design

I wasn't picking fault at the current model, I think its a great car... But if they are going to update it, I wanted to know what features Lexus could add to make it a better competitor in the market.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links