•  

Photo

Shell V-power So Cheaper Than Bp Ultimate - Why?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 japthree

japthree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Lexus: IS 200 SE Auto

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:07 PM

I've been filling up with V-Power a few times and getting 400+ miles to the tank from the cut-off (although I round up to the nearest - not sure if that's money efficient as I'm not on any Shell Drivers Club scheme with points/etc) to when the fuel red warning light comes on. Decided to do the same with BP Ultimate but it was so expensive I said no!

Typically:

Shell unleaded 108.9
BP unleaded 112.9 (4 pence more - understandable)

Shell V-Power 115.9
BP Ultimate 131.9 (what the ??? and Shell's is a higher RON at 99 than BP's of 97!)

I have a tendency to fill up at the red low fuel light as I'm 'scared' I might just run out of fuel in the middle of the road!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 DJ Wozza

DJ Wozza

Endangered Species

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:09 AM

Pardon the expression, but bugger BP at either of those prices, I filled up Thursday night 97RON 112.9.

Why is is BP unleaded @ 4p more/litre understandable ?

#3 Chris.S

Chris.S

EX Lexus/Toyota Parts Supervisor

• Gold Members
  • 8,133 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Lexus: IS250 F Sport
  • Year: 2011

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:24 AM

why put v power or ultimate in, ive found no difference in mpg or performance on a standard IS by using ordinary unleaded

#4 Parthiban

Parthiban

Club Post Guru

• Gold Members
  • 8,772 posts
  • Lexus: IS200 SE Auto

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

Pardon the expression, but bugger BP at either of those prices, I filled up Thursday night 97RON 112.9.

Yep all my local BPs are the same, never go near them as they're usually 3-4p higher than any other garage for any fuel :o

why put v power or ultimate in, ive found no difference in mpg or performance on a standard IS by using ordinary unleaded

I use V Power too, purely because I like the way the engine sounds a bit smoother and the power delivery low down is also a little better too. Not a huge difference but it is nicer so I find it worth the difference. Plus if you use a shell citi card, and because prices are so high, the percentage difference between the two fuels isn't actually that high :)

#5 Chris.S

Chris.S

• Gold Members
  • 8,133 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

sorry maybe its just me but i cant justify spending more money on a higher grade fuel that makes hardly any difference in performance and mpg

#6 84Stoney

84Stoney

Club Post Guru

• Gold Members
  • 1,215 posts
  • Lexus: IS200 Sport Supercharged
Contributor

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

I have a tendency to fill up at the red low fuel light as I'm 'scared' I might just run out of fuel in the middle of the road!

Don't get too scared, when the light comes on you have a good 20-30 miles in the tank still.

I will always use a higher grate fuel in a performance or modified car. On a standard one, it is not so important.

#7 Paradroid

Paradroid

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Lexus: IS200 Sport

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

Same here, can't see point in super etc. especially not in an IS200. Does it even have a knock sensor to be able to change timing for super? Some cars don't.

Although I use Total, there's one near me and it's really busy, so in my mind the fuel is nice and fresh. I do actually seem to get a few more MGP filling up there compared to other stations, and a few other people I know have said the same. Price is as good as anywhere too.

#8 Parthiban

Parthiban

Club Post Guru

• Gold Members
  • 8,772 posts
  • Lexus: IS200 SE Auto

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

sorry maybe its just me but i cant justify spending more money on a higher grade fuel that makes hardly any difference in performance and mpg

That's fair enough, it's the engine smoothness that's the biggest difference for me, plus if it makes such a difference to the sound on the outside, it must be doing something better on the inside too :)

Either way I don't do a lot of miles so it isn't too much of a problem, if I did heavy miles I'd probably just use unleaded..............in fact, I doubt I'd still have the IS200! :crybaby:

#9 Kazi

Kazi

Club Post Guru

• Gold Members
  • 5,123 posts
  • Lexus: IS200SE-Aero Kit- SuperCharger

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:33 PM

Im sure id be right in thinking BP is probably the most expensive petrol station. Not sure why, specially when you compare it to Shell V-Power as its great stuff, stopped using BP Ultimate as it was not much better than the lower Octane stuff.

My problem is, their just isnt any Shell garage within a 10 mile radius to me!

#10 Chris.S

Chris.S

• Gold Members
  • 8,133 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

i have on shell garage in my area and thats the cheapest in the city for unleaded

#11 mikey's IS

mikey's IS

Advanced Member

• Gold Members
  • 490 posts
  • Lexus: IS200

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:03 PM

PETROLPRICES.COM

you need to signup to see which garages are the cheapest

#12 den_200

den_200

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Lexus: is200 sport

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

waitrose does the cheapest fuel around my way and also it seems to be good fuel as i get the same kind of miles out of a tank as shell which is good cos when i have put tesco's fuel in i get around 30-40miles less.

#13 Ian D

Ian D

• Gold Members
  • 76 posts
  • Lexus: IS300

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:29 PM

I have an is300. It works much better on the super fuels and gives me both more power and more mpg.

having ran cars on the continent a long time before we got the super fuels here, I know I get 5-8% more mpg on super unleaded.

A car mag did a test fairly recently. They got about +5% on mpg and +3-5% on power. BP Ultimate was better than Vmax when fresh, but lost out after 24 hrs in the tank.

Shell & BP price on cost and supply/demand balance.

You pays your money and you takes your choice..............

That said, I don't look at prices at the moment as it depresses me too much.

Ian

#14 japthree

japthree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Lexus: IS 200 SE Auto

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:27 PM

97RON was BP Ultimate? - at 112.9 - wow!

I meant that BP unleaded is only 4p more (i.e. not much) than Shell unleaded as compared to 16p more for the Super Unleaded option (BP Ultimate) than Shell V-Power.

How come the normal unleaded is 4p more but the Super unleaded is 16p more?

The other benefit of these super fuels is that that are supposed to clean your engine more as well as more mpg?

#15 baysidebluebnr34

baysidebluebnr34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Lexus: is 200

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

Bp Ultimate is refined to 98 ron while Shell has additives to bring it up to the same level

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have