Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shell V-power So Cheaper Than Bp Ultimate - Why?

japthree

I've been filling up with V-Power a few times and getting 400+ miles to the tank from the cut-off (although I round up to the nearest £ - not sure if that's money efficient as I'm not on any Shell Drivers Club scheme with points/etc) to when the fuel red warning light comes on. Decided to do the same with BP Ultimate but it was so expensive I said no!

Typically:

Shell unleaded 108.9

BP unleaded 112.9 (4 pence more - understandable)

Shell V-Power 115.9

BP Ultimate 131.9 (what the ??? and Shell's is a higher RON at 99 than BP's of 97!)

I have a tendency to fill up at the red low fuel light as I'm 'scared' I might just run out of fuel in the middle of the road!

Pardon the expression, but bugger BP at either of those prices, I filled up Thursday night 97RON 112.9.

Why is is BP unleaded @ 4p more/litre understandable ?

Yep all my local BPs are the same, never go near them as they're usually 3-4p higher than any other garage for any fuel :o

why put v power or ultimate in, ive found no difference in mpg or performance on a standard IS by using ordinary unleaded

I use V Power too, purely because I like the way the engine sounds a bit smoother and the power delivery low down is also a little better too. Not a huge difference but it is nicer so I find it worth the difference. Plus if you use a shell citi card, and because prices are so high, the percentage difference between the two fuels isn't actually that high :)

I have a tendency to fill up at the red low fuel light as I'm 'scared' I might just run out of fuel in the middle of the road!

Don't get too scared, when the light comes on you have a good 20-30 miles in the tank still.

I will always use a higher grate fuel in a performance or modified car. On a standard one, it is not so important.

Same here, can't see point in super etc. especially not in an IS200. Does it even have a knock sensor to be able to change timing for super? Some cars don't.

Although I use Total, there's one near me and it's really busy, so in my mind the fuel is nice and fresh. I do actually seem to get a few more MGP filling up there compared to other stations, and a few other people I know have said the same. Price is as good as anywhere too.

sorry maybe its just me but i cant justify spending more money on a higher grade fuel that makes hardly any difference in performance and mpg

That's fair enough, it's the engine smoothness that's the biggest difference for me, plus if it makes such a difference to the sound on the outside, it must be doing something better on the inside too :)

Either way I don't do a lot of miles so it isn't too much of a problem, if I did heavy miles I'd probably just use unleaded..............in fact, I doubt I'd still have the IS200! :crybaby:

Im sure id be right in thinking BP is probably the most expensive petrol station. Not sure why, specially when you compare it to Shell V-Power as its great stuff, stopped using BP Ultimate as it was not much better than the lower Octane stuff.

My problem is, their just isnt any Shell garage within a 10 mile radius to me!

I have an is300. It works much better on the super fuels and gives me both more power and more mpg.

having ran cars on the continent a long time before we got the super fuels here, I know I get 5-8% more mpg on super unleaded.

A car mag did a test fairly recently. They got about +5% on mpg and +3-5% on power. BP Ultimate was better than Vmax when fresh, but lost out after 24 hrs in the tank.

Shell & BP price on cost and supply/demand balance.

You pays your money and you takes your choice..............

That said, I don't look at prices at the moment as it depresses me too much.

Ian

Pardon the expression, but bugger BP at either of those prices, I filled up Thursday night 97RON 112.9.

Why is is BP unleaded @ 4p more/litre understandable ?

97RON was BP Ultimate? - at 112.9 - wow!

I meant that BP unleaded is only 4p more (i.e. not much) than Shell unleaded as compared to 16p more for the Super Unleaded option (BP Ultimate) than Shell V-Power.

How come the normal unleaded is 4p more but the Super unleaded is 16p more?

The other benefit of these super fuels is that that are supposed to clean your engine more as well as more mpg?

always used to put standard 95 RON in mine before i had the s/c.

when i got it fitted, i switched to 97 RON as per reccomendations and found the car felt smoother, but of course that could be a placebo and it could be the s/c amking it feel different.

i used 97 RON for a month but noticed every so often a jerkyness when booting in higher gears at low speeds, so went on the advice of other sand used Shell V-Power.

The difference is certainly not a placebo effect. The car is incredibly smooth, no jerkyness, and marginally better mpg - probably 2-3 (depends how i drive it of course :whistling: ).

plus, with the double rewards points for v-power, it really is the only petrol i'd consider using unless i'm desperate and there's no shell garage around. fortunately, there's one just up the road from me so convenient in that sense, lol.

I have thought about using V-Power as i fill up at shell but cant see the point in the IS as the petrol only goes on travelling down the dual carriageways and im not gona feel much advantage from that!!

Only time i use the higher octane fuel is in my bike as it is noticable in that!!

And BP always seems to be silly prices in comparison to Shell........The shell i fill up at is 109.9 for normal unleaded and the BP is about 112.9 for the same!

I found a receipt from last year and it was when petrol was 87.5.............................made me cry as i though bout how much its gone up!!!