Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Grom Audio New Kit

Hello everyone, at last I got the dreaded error 3 message and took my head unit a part, I managed to remove the two cds but the cd changer mechanism is f**ked. I was trying to get the GromAudio ipod kit but few altezza owners had problems with it.

looking at their website they introducing a new kit which I think will be better and more universal. it will be available from 19 Sep onwards, here is a summery:

GROM-USB MP3 kit is a digital interface that is designed to integrate USB stick into OEM car stereo.

It provides direct audio interface to a car stereo via the CD changer port. GROM Audio interface insures CD quality sound from MP3 / WMA files on USB stick to car stereo speakers.

It allow to "fool" your stereo into thinking that fully featured CD changer is plugged in. This way you can have thousands of tracks divided into playlists or full shuffle mode if you wish. Endless amount of music !

Available at www.InDashPC.org

It is that simple:

- Transfer your MP3 / WMA files to USB stick / disk

- Connect GROM-USB car kit to your car stereo via CD changer port

- Plug-in USB stick /disk into GROM

- Play MP3/WMA files through the car audio system instantly

- Browse your music files using car stereo buttons

- Navigate through directories and map them to the disk buttons on your car stereo / steering wheel

- get the CD quality sound directly to your car stereo

Main charatteristics:

- Build-in high quality MP3 / WMA decoder

- Supports USB disk / flash drive / mass storage devices

- FAT 32 filesystem supported

- Direct connection with CD quality sound

- No Battery required

- Full control by steering wheel or car stereo panel

- Playlist function same as multy CD

Specs:

- Dimensions 3.5 x 2.5 x 1.25 (W x D x H)

- 6 FT total cable length with the possible cable extensions

Package:

- GROM-USB adapter

- Vehicle specific data cable

- USB and AUDIO cable

- Installation manual

Compatibility:

Can be used with any USB disk / flash drive / mass storage device

Current car makes supported are: BMW (97-05); VW, AUDI (98-08) ( please refer to our compatibility list)

Coming in September 2008: Acura / Honda (91-08); Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep (02-06); Toyota / Lexus / Scion (98-08); Mazda (02-08); Seat / Skoda (98-08)

Price around USD 125

link: http://www.gromaudio.com/usb.html

I might order one but I am not sure if it will work with a unit with error3 messsage :question:

That is interesting, the ERR3 shouldn't make a difference as it just picks up the second CD changer input.

I'd be interested to know what sort of capacity this thing is compatible with - whether you could plug in an 80GB hard drive for example, or whether it would only be able to deal with a smaller capacity...........

That is interesting, the ERR3 shouldn't make a difference as it just picks up the second CD changer input.

I'd be interested to know what sort of capacity this thing is compatible with - whether you could plug in an 80GB hard drive for example, or whether it would only be able to deal with a smaller capacity...........

I copied the information I found in the user manual @ www.InDashPC.org

Chapter 3 – Usage manual

3.1 Supported USB storages

All USB Mass Storage Devices up to 32GB including:

- USB sticks

- USB Hard Drives

- MP3 players and smartphones with USB Mass Storage interface

GROM-USB supports only FAT12/16/32 formatted storages. NTFS is not supported!

3.2 Supported formats

GROM-USB supports the following formats:

- MP3 with bitrates up to 320Kbps

- WMA with bitrates up to 389Kbps

- AAC with bitrates up to 389Kbps

I might order one but I am not sure if it will work with a unit with error3 messsage :question:

My older grom ipod adapter is working great with an ERR3 unit. It pretends to be a CD changer in the boot so it's not replacing the main CD unit (shows up on headunit as "CD1" not "CD")

However - I'd be surprised if they've fixed the compatibility issues to be honest - it sounds like the difference with this unit and the older one is at the input end rather than the output - I'd imagine the way of interfacing/communicating with the headunit is the same as the old ipod grom unit. So if the old one didn't work this new one might not either.

Either way check with them in writing (email) that this unit will support your specific HU number - at least that way if it doesn't you can get no-quibble refund.

That is pretty good if it supports 32GB, the only problem with this is that with no display, you just have to leave it on shuffle as you'd never be able to find a particular track.............still no solution to not buying an iPod then......... :shutit:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links