Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement Smart Key

I am a new member so I apologise if this an old question. I have searched the forum for a similar thread.

I have just been quoted £249 for a replacement key from my local dealer, I bought the car privately and only got one with it. Does anyone now of a cheaper option?

If I can get a second hand one will they reprogramme it and how much would that cost?

I was also told if I lose this key it may mean replacing the main control unit at a huge cost. Seems extreme?

Any advice appreciated

2007 IS220D SE-L

I am a new member so I apologise if this an old question. I have searched the forum for a similar thread.

I have just been quoted £249 for a replacement key from my local dealer, I bought the car privately and only got one with it. Does anyone now of a cheaper option?

If I can get a second hand one will they reprogramme it and how much would that cost?

I was also told if I lose this key it may mean replacing the main control unit at a huge cost. Seems extreme?

Any advice appreciated

2007 IS220D SE-L

I know this is not the answer you expect but if I had to buy a car with 1 key I would only fully exchange all monies when the second key was presented otherwise I would have taken my quote to the vendor and said this is what you have to reduce your price by ....in this way the cost of a key would not bother me.

You do make a good point...whichever solution you end up with now is going to be bloody expensive ...on the wrong person....YOU!

As far as the mk1 IS was concerned, yes if you lost all the keys, it meant replacing the entire system which was very expensive.

However, again going by the first IS, if you had one key, it was possible to program another yourself quite easily (and it's usually not too hard to get hold of keys off ebay) although I'm not sure if this is still the case with the smart access.

As above though, I'd pester the previous owner for the spare key before doing anything else as there's a good chance he still has it and can't be bothered to look for it (plus I'd always be weary of the fact that there is another key out there that could open and start my car!)

I'd just like to say ...

Sometimes you can get one key legitimately if you buy from a Trade Warehouse or similar. Perhaps our OP bought the car from just such a place?

However, if it were a private sale then I would think twice about buying a car with one key. Not least due to the cost (and hassle) associated with getting a replacement...and usually, due to the nature of the codes it is a Dealer only job and that costs money.

I'd just like to say ...

Sometimes you can get one key legitimately if you buy from a Trade Warehouse or similar. Perhaps our OP bought the car from just such a place?

However, if it were a private sale then I would think twice about buying a car with one key. Not least due to the cost (and hassle) associated with getting a replacement...and usually, due to the nature of the codes it is a Dealer only job and that costs money.

I bought the car from a finance company as seen so I am not concerned about the previous owner turning up. Plus it was bought as seen so no room for negotiation unfortunately. It looks like I am stuck with cost. Thanks for the comments

As far as the mk1 IS was concerned, yes if you lost all the keys, it meant replacing the entire system which was very expensive.

However, again going by the first IS, if you had one key, it was possible to program another yourself quite easily (and it's usually not too hard to get hold of keys off ebay) although I'm not sure if this is still the case with the smart access.

As above though, I'd pester the previous owner for the spare key before doing anything else as there's a good chance he still has it and can't be bothered to look for it (plus I'd always be weary of the fact that there is another key out there that could open and start my car!)

Thanks for the suggestion. I have managed to find one on E bay. It will, of course, need pairing with the car. Has anyone had any luck doing this with the new smart fob? Or is this definately a dealer job?

I have seen various helpful posts for some of the older keys but can't see any for the new one.

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks

D

• 2 weeks later...
I'd just like to say ...

I bought the car from a finance company as seen so I am not concerned about the previous owner turning up. Plus it was bought as seen so no room for negotiation unfortunately. It looks like I am stuck with cost. Thanks for the comments

Hi. Moving on. I now have a replacement fob (e-bay) but unfortunately Lexus tried but now say they can only reprog. 'virgin' keyfobs. Has anyone had used a smartfob reprogrammed or know how to clear one? It looks like bite the bullet time and buy a new one!!

I'd just like to say ...

Hi. Moving on. I now have a replacement fob (e-bay) but unfortunately Lexus tried but now say they can only reprog. 'virgin' keyfobs. Has anyone had used a smartfob reprogrammed or know how to clear one? It looks like bite the bullet time and buy a new one!!

The AA should be starting their new key assist shortly ,saving members having to pay out car dealer pricing for key replacements and chips/programing etc. This new venture from the AA will have approx a fleet of 26+ key assist vans around the country which have full on board key cutting, chips, PC,s programmers on board. fully trained technicians... ;) don't ask how I know... I just do.

I'd just like to say ...

I am in the same boat... I bought the IS220d 2006 model from motorpoint and got only 1 key... Have you found any solution yet or are you buying the new key ultimately....

• 7 years later...

Hi all,

reviving an old thread I guess,

I have a 2007 IS250.

With just 1 smartfob.

Any further progress, ideas on another smartfob, without being raped by Lexus for circ 350.00 GBP

vette

4 hours ago, vette said:

Hi all,

reviving an old thread I guess,

I have a 2007 IS250.

With just 1 smartfob.

Any further progress, ideas on another smartfob, without being raped by Lexus for circ 350.00 GBP

vette

My the knowledge I own I don't think you have any other option other than pay up unfortunately, you could looking into using a third party key coder if anyone has managed to replicate the Lexus system, but by the time you've paid them and saved a few quid think I would personally rather go down the Lexus route and have piece of mind it is bang on, especially with something as important as the key.

Its a shame they are so expensive, Lexus are on a par with pretty much every other manufacturer for keys and coding though, basically any car that only has 1 key and you want a second is going to hit you hard in the wallet

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links