Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Farewell To Lexus - Or Good Riddance!

Today I finally bit the bullet and did a deal to get rid of the IS220d. It has been a pain in the backside for me from day one of ownership. From the minute I took delivery of the car in an unvaleted condition, the broken promises from the sales staff, the faults, the attitudes and the fact that it just doesn't suit our needs.

The IS isn't brilliant on fuel, but that isn't an issue other than any Lexus claim to be a up at the sharp end of economy compared to rivals. Most of the toys can be gotten on other models, but you do have to pay with some marques. The IS220d is the best looking compact executive and I'm sure it fits other peoples criteria well. For me it just wasn't right.

So, today I went back to Volvo and did a deal against a 2008 D5 S80 SE Geartronic. For £18k I get heated leather, cruise, rain sensors, winter pack, home safe lighting, 12 months VEL, free GAP insurance, discounted servicing and back to people I know and who know me. Most importantly of all I get split fold rear seats and can seat five adults in luxurious comfort!

It may not be as good economy wise as the IS220d but it does have 185BHP and 400nm of torque. It doesn't have Bluetooth or satnav, but that is easily rectified. It suits my needs far better than the IS.

The IS lost £700 in trade in value during the last month so if anyone else feels like moving on, be prepared for the hit.

Good luck to you all. Lexus just wasn't up to scratch for me.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best of luck.

the broken promises from the sales staff

my worst experience in 25 years of motoring was dealing with Lexus sales staff. The fact that the guy who dealt with me 'moved on ' within a week and his boss is now history came as no suprise. In my case it was the managing director who made me keep the faith and got me back on board..the sales team at the time were sharks.

Apart from the dealership side of things, were the faults you encountered with the vehicle the documented ones on this site associated with the diesel? or was it the IS in general.

good luck with the volvo,it does leave a bitter taste when you get shabby dealer service from day one.when i first bought mine within two weeks i received a jd power survey forms and of course everything lovely and therefore top marks awarded.if i filled one in now the product would still score high but supplying dealer would not.

best of luck.

the broken promises from the sales staff

my worst experience in 25 years of motoring was dealing with Lexus sales staff. The fact that the guy who dealt with me 'moved on ' within a week and his boss is now history came as no suprise. In my case it was the managing director who made me keep the faith and got me back on board..the sales team at the time were sharks.

Apart from the dealership side of things, were the faults you encountered with the vehicle the documented ones on this site associated with the diesel? or was it the IS in general.

The car was an approved used model. The dealership insisted I had to pay a refundable £1k deposit to see the car as it was at an approved Lexus centre and they would have to buy the car to get it on their books. The promise was it would be like a new car when I took delivery. In the handover suite I got a rushed handover and a "See you", and handed the keys. When I got home to have a good look I found:

Chewing gum stuck on top of the front ash tray and under the radio console, a rear ash tray full of rubbish, a puncture hole in the OSR door trim, loose screen trims, a spare wheel well full of damp rotting card that had stuck the spare to the chassis. I found the spare wheel problem due to sustaining a blow out on the way home. Having the tyre changed the fitter found a nail in the tyre that he is 100% confident had been in there for months. There was also a remote control to something on the back seat. I returned the car with disapproving comments and got promises and apologies. I was promised a free supaguard treatment in and out for the inconvenience. They kept the car for a couple of days after phoning me to say they agreed with all my findings and gave me a RX350 as a courtesy car that drank £40 of petrol in two days of use. I also asked them to sort out the 5th injector issue. I made a check of the premises one night and found my car abandoned on the forecourt accessible to all and sundry with no security in sight. When I got the car back it hadn't had a supaguard treatment and they claimed never to have promised it. They refunded the £40 for the fuel costs though but hadn't resolved the issue with the 5th injector. Getting the car back home I found a credit card in the glove box in the name of someone with no association with the company. They wanted it back to try and trace who it was, but I handed it in to the Police. (I have a sneaking suspicion my car was getting used by someone unofficially.) The dealership wanted to charge me £800 to have a towbar fitted, which I got fitted by the very same company they use for £360. They charged me £250 for a handsfree kit that I later discovered costs around £100 with free fitting at Halfords.

The car has got progressively noisier both engine wise and using the clutch, but I have just been fobbed off by the service staff. I have never received the fabled bottles of wine or bunch of flowers for the good lady that Lexus GB budget for, so where they have gone is anybody's guess. Lexus GB were told of my issues but nothing happened. They are a spineless and ineffective body in my opinion.

All in it has been a very unsatisfactory experience and as DGman says, one that has tainted my whole view of the car. I guess a lot of the problem can be attributed to the dealer group as they are exactly the same at their BMW and Audi franchises. I know there are Lexus dealers who would have been horified to have handed a car over in the condition mine was in and would have bent over backwards offering all manner of incentives to stay with them. Sadly mine wasn't and didn't and as a consequence I'm off to what I know and Lexus will not get my business again.

If it fits your needs I think the IS is capable of being a great little car. Lexus GB just need to show some spine and sort out eh cowboys in their mdist.

If it fits your needs I think the IS is capable of being a great little car. Lexus GB just need to show some spine and sort out eh cowboys in their mdist.

Never has a truer statement been made.... When will Lexus HQ actually sit up and take notice of what is being said and damaging their reputation... As had been said before l am more than happy to receive a PM from Lexus and tell them how it is, I am sure there are others on here who would be more than happy to forward on their own experiences, as usual Lexus bury their heads in the sand and hope he problems go away..

Go on Lexus prove us all wrong and ask us what is wrong with your set up... Cars, Dealers etc, or are you going to continue being Emu's?????

You can no longer rely on the JD Power survey from years ago as a selling point, get your act together before it gets worse!!!!

Why did you buy a car that"was'nt" suited to your needs in the first place?

We wanted to switch to diesel and at the time weren't in a position to buy what we wanted. The purchase was a compromise if you like. In error we assumed all saloons these days came with split fold rear seats and never thought to look before handing over the money. The 14 day return agreement was never verbally mentioned to us otherwise we would have handed it back. Again an error on our part for not reading the detail, but also questionable ethics from the dealership. The cab space has proved to be too small for our needs. We rarely had to carry adults in the rear of our cars, but that has changed recently. The IS just isn't up to the task of accomodating normally sized adults in any comfort in the rear. Trying to put child seats in the back and then put kids in them is a nightmare. We've also lost count of the amount of times heads have been banged on the A pillar when getting in or out. Those are things you only discover with extended use.

My track activities have increased and require an increasing amount of spares to be carried. The IS doesn't have enough room to carry them. An RX does, but it's a gas guzzler, going to cost £450 a year to tax if the government go through with their plan, shedding money quicker than you can count it and more importantly, I'd still end up dealing with a bunch of cowboys.

Today I finally bit the bullet and did a deal to get rid of the IS220d. It has been a pain in the backside for me from day one of ownership. From the minute I took delivery of the car in an unvaleted condition, the broken promises from the sales staff, the faults, the attitudes and the fact that it just doesn't suit our needs.

The IS isn't brilliant on fuel, but that isn't an issue other than any Lexus claim to be a up at the sharp end of economy compared to rivals. Most of the toys can be gotten on other models, but you do have to pay with some marques. The IS220d is the best looking compact executive and I'm sure it fits other peoples criteria well. For me it just wasn't right.

So, today I went back to Volvo and did a deal against a 2008 D5 S80 SE Geartronic. For £18k I get heated leather, cruise, rain sensors, winter pack, home safe lighting, 12 months VEL, free GAP insurance, discounted servicing and back to people I know and who know me. Most importantly of all I get split fold rear seats and can seat five adults in luxurious comfort!

It may not be as good economy wise as the IS220d but it does have 185BHP and 400nm of torque. It doesn't have bluetooth or satnav, but that is easily rectified. It suits my needs far better than the IS.

The IS lost £700 in trade in value during the last month so if anyone else feels like moving on, be prepared for the hit.

Good luck to you all. Lexus just wasn't up to scratch for me.

Interesting to read about someone else getting shabby treatment from a Lexus dealer. Fortunately mine was not as bad as that extent. I also think that Lexus GB are a waste of space as far as the end customer is concerned.

During my "disagreement" with my Lexus dealer I wrote to Lexus detailing events and received what appeared to be a "stock" letter saying they had referred to matter to the dealer for resolution and that I would be contacted by Lexus GB again. It's now some weeks since the "disagreement" over the car was concluded but I'm still waiting for the response from Lexus.

It's seems to me that they are no different to other manufacturers - the individual customer is of no importance or interest to them - the only thing that matters is selling as many cars as they can and will take the side of the dealer in a dispute. So much for their much praised "customer service".

They would do well to remember the old motto that a satisfied customer tells 1 person but a dissatisfied one will tell 10. That no longer holds true in these days of the internet as it's now very easy to tell several hundred, or more.

Good luck with the Volvo. I had no problems with the purchase of mine and owning it was a hassle free pleasure with minimal problems.

The 14 day return agreement was never verbally mentioned to us otherwise we would have handed it back.

My problems were well documented on here some time ago, so i wont bore everyone again with the whole lot but the above was one issue .

Get this: Car advertised for £9995. I haggle hard for a £7K part ex for my old car and coughed up £3k to complete the deal. After the ISSUES arose :whistling: I tried to invoke the 30 day money back or replacement vehicle clause.

They said they couldnt replace the car so offered me my money back....£8995, 1K less than I paid for it. :tsktsk:

I thought I had haggled up to 7K part ex!!!.I had in person but when it came to the paperwork he had reduced the screen price to £8995 without telling me and they tried to claim I was only given 6k part ex....and that I had signed the paperwork to that effect.

I learnt a valuable lesson that day. Dont be taken in by the marble floors, posh lobby and free coffee and read the small print.

Oh and A lexus approved service history doesnt mean it has a full service history another classic. I like that so much i might add it to all my posts :hehe:

I've just gone exactly the same way and taken delivery of a Volvo S80 2.4 D SE Exec Geartronic in Titanium Grey. It's a lot better in many respects than my Lexus and I can't say I was treated any better at the Lexus dealership - I was treated almost like royalty at Volvo. I think a lot of people buy Lexus with customer service in mind yet don't always realise that other manufacturers are quite as good. Mrs Coyote has bought Skodas for the past few years and the salesmen almost bow down when customers walk through the doors!!

On the dealer subject; I think the one noticable difference is between PLCs and family owned businesses. A PLC, like my LEXUS, BMW and Audi franchise is in it solely for your money and they don't hide it. A family run business is also in it for the money but, they want your business back whether it's for a light bulb or to buy another car. They're still having you over but they do it with a smile. They rely on word of mouth and one dissatisfied customer can do them a lot of damage. Going back to my Volvo dealer was like coming home. They made me feel welcome and spent more time in general chat than trying to push this months urgent sale on me.

To be honest things were getting so desperate to be rid of the IS that I even went to look at a Rav4. Toyota were chicking money at me to buy their product. £14,500 was the offer on the table for the IS against £19k for a new unregistered Rav4. They'd also chuck in three years of free servicing, a tow bar, 12 months VEL and free GAP insurance. Unfortunately I wanted some luxury and the Rav4 doesn't have any. Very economical with the same engine as the IS though and none of the 1st gear foibles.

Hehe, I like that - they're still screwing you but at least they're smiling when they're doing it :lol:

I always feels with smaller businesses they have a lot more to lose and generally go the extra mile to keep customers happy. Not just with cars but with everything - I'll use my local hardware store far more than the major chains and so on.

If there's one thing the S80 has in spades it's luxury - I only picked mine up on Friday and I just love it!

Hehe, I like that - they're still screwing you but at least they're smiling when they're doing it :lol:

I always feels with smaller businesses they have a lot more to lose and generally go the extra mile to keep customers happy. Not just with cars but with everything - I'll use my local hardware store far more than the major chains and so on.

If there's one thing the S80 has in spades it's luxury - I only picked mine up on Friday and I just love it!

My Lexus was from a "family run" outfit but one with quite a lot of dealerships for various makes, whereas the Volvo was from a family firm with 2 sites one of which was a satellite-of my local one. I got a more personal service and better from them than the Lexus one.

However, the fact that my eldest daughter & the salesman were living together at the time might have helped!

shoddy treatment from the begging is terrible and the facts that the car wasnt as described is even worse. i must say tho i would say the s80 volvo is more comparable with the GS range. s40/v50 2.0 d?? lovely drive and better looking than an IS!

The V50 R Design is certainly a nice looking thing and very frugal but with plenty of punch.

Here's what I got for my money:

2.4 diesel with 185ps and 400nm of torque. 17" rims, adaptive brake lights and ready alert braking, Bi-xenon headlights, adaptive cruise control and blind spot alerts. Talking on board computer, hi performance stereo with ipod integration, leather heated rear seats and heated ventilated front seats, 3 memory electric drivers seat that also sets the wing mirrors from memory, electric front passenger seat, dual climate, heart beat sensor, home and approach lighting, folding mirrors and autodim rearview mirror, 60/40 split/fold rear seats, geartronic box, heated headlamp wash, fogs front and rear and rain sensative wipers.

Reversing camera is a cost option as is satnav and blue tooth.

2.4 diesel with 185ps and 400nm of torque. 17" rims, adaptive brake lights and ready alert braking, Bi-xenon headlights, adaptive cruise control and blind spot alerts. Talking on board computer, hi performance stereo with ipod integration, leather heated rear seats and heated ventilated front seats, 3 memory electric drivers seat that also sets the wing mirrors from memory, electric front passenger seat, dual climate, heart beat sensor, home and approach lighting, folding mirrors and autodim rearview mirror, 60/40 split/fold rear seats, geartronic box, heated headlamp wash, fogs front and rear and rain sensative wipers.

split seats...the golden nugget :winky:

took my wife to see an IS250 yesterday as well as a GS300...mistake...her only requirements, must be able to get the back seats down and fit 5 suitcases of varying sizes in the boot..(3 growing kids)..thats what gets me about women all they think about is practicality

she thinks the IS200 is a waste of space due to those very reasons..im afraid ive got some thinking to do :duh:

The Lexus dealers obviously must vary a lot in quality. My own experience (Lexus Bracknell) was that this was my best dealer experience in over 30 years of motoring. I couldn't fault their sales service and would most definitely use them again. The handover experience when I picked up my car was excellent - even though I was buying from the cheapest end of the range I felt like I was treated as an LS buyer! The followup from them to check I was happy with the car was also excellent.

split seats...the golden nugget :winky:

took my wife to see an IS250 yesterday as well as a GS300...mistake...her only requirements, must be able to get the back seats down and fit 5 suitcases of varying sizes in the boot..(3 growing kids)..thats what gets me about women all they think about is practicality

she thinks the IS200 is a waste of space due to those very reasons..im afraid ive got some thinking to do :duh:

I'd seriously recommend having a look at the Volvo range. The S80 is a great car although it is more expensive on insurance. Group 16. It's a different car class to the IS, but like you I need rear seat space and a large boot as well as the option to drop the back seats for bigger loads. It'll give a GS a run for it's money all day long and knock it for six on economy. The D5 engine is very quick and responsive. If you aren't bothered by economy there's also a mad V8 4WD the engine of which was designed in conjunction with Yamaha.

Ive had a sneeky look since you first posted about the S80, havent seen a bad thing written about them.

Just something about the shape that doesnt do it for me im afraid, i dont know if its a 'grower'.

Ive had a sneeky look since you first posted about the S80, havent seen a bad thing written about them.

Just something about the shape that doesnt do it for me im afraid, i dont know if its a 'grower'.

I know what you mean. You can't deny the fact that the Lexus range are largely the best looking cars on the market. There are alternatives to Lexus though and with split fold rear seats for the growing family. You just got to look. Have you considered an Audi A6?

The S60R was never likely to hold it's money for several reasons. Volvos, although for me not ugly anymore, aren't exactly cutting edge sports in appearance. The S60R with that horrible blue colour and tan interior looked horrible. The S60 range is being discontinued too.

Ayupbuddy!!

I knew it wouldn't be long after reading your last few posts.

We were the same - it got to a stage where we didn't want the Lexus anymore...all that salesroom glitz, promise of realiability etc fell down in a heap over 2 years and that was that.

It sounds to me that you have got one hell of a car, and if you have used Sturgess that you will be fine. All my Toyota's (in the distant past) and recent Nissan's have come from there and they are a family run garage who actually care!! That standard kit list is almost Lexus - lets face it, so you haven't really lost out on the toys...

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Volvo do make probably the most comfortable seats of any car I've ever driven - serious armchairs and they are refined, smooth and lovely to drive. I never even considered a Volvo to be honest (as we wanted something from Bavaria)- may be next time :hehe: and by not buying new someone else took all that depreciation for you - not bad!!

I never got the wine etc either on the recall - so someone will be having a merry christmas party this year, and it ain't us :whistling:

All in all, all the comments are valid if you take your Lexus tinted specs off, and the more I have stayed away, the better I feel.

Salesmen; I've always hated them with a passion!

Any Lexus Salesman that has been there for 7 years or more selling Lexus's will be fantastic - will treat you well, have good product knowledge etc...anyone less than that will have come over from a Ford garage 'cos' they sold loads of cars and is there to make them money - that is alwasy the Salesman's first priority and it appears that Lexus dealers are falling foul of this due to greater targets???.... That is what they are paid and commissioned on, and that is what gets the dealership bonus's, credits, incentives and points. And points make £'s - so the bottom line is what is important. Once the sale is agreed, they move onto and concentrate on the next punter.

Service; always courteous etc, but your car is just another car in the service bay and mine came back with paint dint on the wing that someone had filled in...In the end I didn't bother reporting it....

Finally the car and the toys - it seems like such good value for money that you take a look, get "blinged" by th best looking and buy...TBH (and lexus dies hards will hate me) if it wasn't for the badge, the new Mondeo makes much more sense...even over and above the New A4, Merc C class and 3 series...it is seriously good, and if you drive one - ignore the badge...the new TDCI engine is very good too...and you can get one with a huge spec for £20k or less....all jaguaresque!

And when people talk about depreciation, well - my Lexus lost £000's in just 2 years. In fact I only got back 55% of the list price in just over 2 years and only 20k/FLSH...

Philthy - good luck!

EDIT - the only dodgy thing in the Mondeo is the garish silver trim inside... :sick:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links