Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why Did You Leave Lexus?

WylieCoyote

As a lot of people have sold up recently, I'm just curious to know why people finally made the jump. Was it fuel economy? Road tax? Also, why did you choose what you replaced it with?

My reasoning for leaving Lexus was fuel economy and I wanted something more luxurious and more modern.

Chose the Volvo S80 for it's luxury and safety.

I thought any car with a Volvo badge would be up your street Keith.

If I was given a brand new Volvo, I'd set a record for how quickly it was on the market for sale.

Then funds received would be spent on something not so Volvo like.

Can you tell I have ridden motorcycles in my life @ some point ?

I'm trying to look to the future as I've just got my IS200!

I really like my car, and thought I'd stick with the badge as I really like the new IS and thought to myself that I would like an IS250 when they come down in price and I can afford it. That was until I read some reviews that said the manual gearbox is awful on them, and the auto is the only way to go. Obviously I'd get a test drive and make my own mind up, but if the manual IS250 isn't very good then I would probably have to look elsewhere. And unless we start getting some nice Infiniti and Acura cars I'd probably be looking at BMW.

I'm trying to look to the future as I've just got my IS200!

I really like my car, and thought I'd stick with the badge as I really like the new IS and thought to myself that I would like an IS250 when they come down in price and I can afford it. That was until I read some reviews that said the manual gearbox is awful on them, and the auto is the only way to go. Obviously I'd get a test drive and make my own mind up, but if the manual IS250 isn't very good then I would probably have to look elsewhere. And unless we start getting some nice Infiniti and Acura cars I'd probably be looking at BMW.

ive been looking into this as well. My understanding is that people are going for the auto because its pretty damm good rather than the manual being bad. Apparently the auto will stay in the lower tax band as its more efficient and has lower emissions , so worth bearing in mind. I dont think there is to much of a hit on performance from manual to auto either

ive had the auto (triptronic) for a week. it is one hell of a machine. and in sports mode its quick enough to leave a 3.0supra off the mark !! ( unless the driver in the supra was cr@p, nahh id say the lex was too goood :)

:whistling: well I am not going to leave Lexus as I am happy with the quality, build, comfort need I go on. I have a 200 at the mo and will be changing for a RX300. Bollox to the fuel economy and road tax. Will not let the old geezer Gordon stop me from enjoying life.

Not keen on a Volvo, too old man like.

That is my opinion by the way.....

I WANT AN RX B)

ive been looking into this as well. My understanding is that people are going for the auto because its pretty damm good rather than the manual being bad. Apparently the auto will stay in the lower tax band as its more efficient and has lower emissions , so worth bearing in mind. I dont think there is to much of a hit on performance from manual to auto either

Crikey, so it does! 214g for the auto, 231g for the manual. Well for me that pretty much rules out ownership of the manual then vs. the auto with the current (ridiculous) road tax system. I prefer manual but wouldn't pay another £120 a year in tax, about to get ripped off already on my 2004 IS200.

Simple reasons I left the Lexus (IS200) were:

1. Poor standard performance

2. Poor standard fuel economy considering the poor standard performance

3. Insurance company wouldn't let me supercharge

I like the brand and this club more then the cars! However it is nice to now have my Aristo and the RX300. They seem more like a proper Lexus, comfortable and refined.

If I was given a brand new Volvo, I'd set a record for how quickly it was on the market for sale.

PMSL! Quite right!

However don't knock it until you've tried it. There's something about driving a big Volvo that makes you feel just a little bit nice and safe. And please no comments about it would never be driven fast enough to have an accident! I'm looking at you Wozza!!

:lol:

PMSL! Quite right!

However don't knock it until you've tried it. There's something about driving a big Volvo that makes you feel just a little bit nice and safe. And please no comments about it would never be driven fast enough to have an accident! I'm looking at you Wozza!!

There is also somthing about driving an LS430 that makes you feel nice and safe. :P

I do like the new S80 alot. The V8 version does sound good but would I chuck the LS in against an S80, never in a million years I'm afraid.

Simple reasons I left the Lexus (IS200) were:

1. Poor standard performance

2. Poor standard fuel economy considering the poor standard performance

3. Insurance company wouldn't let me supercharge

I like the brand and this club more then the cars! However it is nice to now have my Aristo and the RX300. They seem more like a proper Lexus, comfortable and refined.

Goes to show what different perceptions we have. I'm stunned at the refinement of my IS200, but then I did come from an MG ZS180, where they took out all the soundproofing to save cash, and the suspension seemed set up for the track rather than the road :) The induction and big exhaust I added didn't help either!!

PMSL! Quite right!

The problem is the attitude this "little bit nice and safe" feeling gives the drivers IMO. They are so secure and insulated from danger,

as a result, they tend to neglect or be inconsiderate of the the safety of other road users, especially those road users on two wheels.

on a slightly sad note...... tonight coming back from London, driving down Loampit Vale near the Tesco Garage,

I saw a motorcycle halfway embedded in the front of a Volvo saloon. Unbelievably it was buried rear end first,

it had been rear ended by the Volvo, and was fine from the fuel tank forwards :o

Is Deathrace 2000 required veiwing before you can own a Volvo ? :tsktsk:

PMSL! Quite right!

The problem is the attitude this "little bit nice and safe" feeling gives the drivers IMO. They are so secure and insulated from danger,

as a result, they tend to neglect or be inconsiderate of the the safety of other road users, especially those road users on two wheels.

Which is nontheless better than the attitude of 'I drive a performance car so I'll drive like a prat' or the 'speed limits are for other people' attitudes that really wind me up.

I'm not directing that at anyone in particular butbut we all know there are people out there that have that view.

I left Lexus as i was moving to Cyprus and because of the mods it was not practical to ship it.

I now have a nissan nivara(mine) suzuki santana (mine) reanault clio(wifes) and i must admit when im going up that twisty mountain roads i find myself dreaming about how my Lex would sound zooming along in the silence ...........................then i waken up on my lilo haha

I wanted something a fair bit faster, but never got round to selling the lex, and now i'm back on the lex for some reason? maybe it's just the excitement of having got it going again today, cleaning it and driving it?! It will never beat the experience of cornering in the FTO though, and I've not heard any lex make a noise as great as my FTO, I'm getting old now though...

...pipe and slippers anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
As a lot of people have sold up recently, I'm just curious to know why people finally made the jump. Was it fuel economy? Road tax? Also, why did you choose what you replaced it with?

My reasoning for leaving Lexus was fuel economy and I wanted something more luxurious and more modern.

You will love the volvo until something stops working.. then you will do what i did.. run right back to lexus!

between Feb and April this year i owned a 2003 S80 3 litre straight 6 with everything on it... got a great deal on it... untill...

The passenger mirror failed, then that knocked out the window, the central locking on that side, the operation of the door handle from outside... so basicaly turned it into a 3 door saloon... cost over £700 to rectify due to a mother board type thing within the door... that even if you could get one second hand... wouldnt fix it.. new one plus re-programming to main comp = expensive..

In those two months it also cost me a new rear caliper.. new tyre.. new siren + costs for making the computer recognise siren + very over active computer telling me problems that kept dissapearing

All this = Stress...

And equaled me getting my GS300....

BLISS

And unless circumstances beyond my control make things different... im not leaving!

• 2 weeks later...

You will love the volvo until something stops working.. then you will do what i did.. run right back to lexus!

between Feb and April this year i owned a 2003 S80 3 litre straight 6 with everything on it... got a great deal on it... untill...

The passenger mirror failed, then that knocked out the window, the central locking on that side, the operation of the door handle from outside... so basicaly turned it into a 3 door saloon... cost over £700 to rectify due to a mother board type thing within the door... that even if you could get one second hand... wouldnt fix it.. new one plus re-programming to main comp = expensive..

In those two months it also cost me a new rear caliper.. new tyre.. new siren + costs for making the computer recognise siren + very over active computer telling me problems that kept dissapearing

All this = Stress...

And equaled me getting my GS300....

BLISS

And unless circumstances beyond my control make things different... im not leaving!

Which is why I don't keep cars more than 3 years old or until out of warranty. I hate repair bills!

The main thing that's likely to get me out of my Lexus at some point is the lack of a decent estate. I can see me switching from my LS430 and cheap Astra runabout to something like an E-Class / 5-Series / V80 estate with some form of classic car at some point. For now though, loving the LS!!!

KEITH

• 5 years later...

I originally chose Lexus because I had sold Toyota vehicles at one time. I gained a major respect for both Toyota and Lexus. When I moved onto another job and started earning more money I decided to purchase a Lexus. Over the years I don't believe that the company has managed to keep up with the changes that have happened over the past decade in the automotive industry. I don't know what happened that they haven't been able to keep up. I now own a Ford Focus. The changes that Ford has made over the past decade are impressive. It is one company that has really managed to move to the front of the pack and deserves the reputation it has developed within the past 10 years or so.

After having an IS300 and then moving to the RX i found it was becoming more impractical day to day.

Crawling round the worst part of the M25 twice a day and getting sub 22mpg, plus a 1k warranty claim for the air suspension front strut made me change my mind somewhat, plus spending over £400 a year on road tax and spending £80 on fuel every 5 days.

Great for the dump run, but when there is just me in the car 95% of the time you seem to think that there are downsides apart from the comfort and driving position.

So I moved on to a totally different car- an Audi TT, yes, smaller although can still fit the wife and one of the kids in, but in terms of fuel economy- over double what I was getting in the RX and Road Tax is £175.

Build quality is on a par with the RX, has all the toys including a much, much better Sat Nav and phone/ipod/SD Card (x2-64gb) set up.

Sorry to see the car go?- in the recent poor weather maybe, but general day to day?- not a bit....

This is what the RX was traded in for...

th_tt-grey1_zps51c25fbd.png