Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mobile Phone

Gord

The iPhone 3G is let down massively by O2s shoddy effort at 3g and just as bad poor EDGE coverage. Its just not up to scratch, no where near as good as Orange or any other networks coverage. The iPhone lacks good bluetooth functionality. Again, a massive let down. For a phone to be classed as a smart that can't sent files via bluetooth, mp3s etc to another phone is just lame, no excuse apple as I know you can do it! Its software is still a little buggy after 2.1 and still lacks voice guided gps and MS office app.

If you're after email retrieval, RIMs Blackberry is still the best solution - FACT.

You cant blame the Iphone for the network coverage - and pretty soon the 3G Iphone will be unlockable to any network....

Re your other points - It can do both of those things with the appropriate apps loaded - It can also act as a webserver in its own right and therefore you can allow other people to browse your Iphone as if it were a website - and download any file from the Iphone to any other web enabled device.

Voice guided GPS - Agree - It hasnt got that - but yet - I'm sure people are working on it.....Previously had an iPaq with the Pocket Excel/Word etc however found them completely useless - IMHO A device that small is never going to of any use for creating spreadsheets etc - But the Iphone does have read functionality for office formats and PDF's - so you can view what people send you if you need to.

Blackberry - FACT ? Again its personal preference - I'd prefer my Iphone to a Blackberry anyday.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kazi: For 3 years or so now all Macs have been able to run Windows 100%.

It is PC users who are limiting their software choices.

I boot up in Windows if I want to run Crysis etc on my Mac.

This myth of a lack of software on Macs is utter nonsense.

My Mac Pro has 4 drive sleds where I can slip any serial ATA drives up to 1TB in and out of all day long until my fingers bleed. How hard is that?

Mark is right. It's down to O2 to provide the network coverage.

ALL networks have differing coverage try wide so to say Orange is "better" is nonsense. Your perception will differ depending where you live.

The Iphone as standard can let you READ any Excel or Word files. I doubt THAT many people want to actually create a pivot table on the train to work.

Having looked at it online - seems a blatent copy of the iPhone - only it wont be as good - cant see anyone ever actually using the pull out keyboard either.

That makes all the difference for me. Wide qwerty keyboard? Brilliant. Hate touch screen keyboards.

Only thing I don't like is how large these phones are all getting, for a while they were a really good size (like the HTC touch) but now thanks to the stupid iPhone they're all getting bigger and bigger.............also wish they'd stuck the 5MP camera in rather than the 3.2 but that isn't a huge issue :)

I have had pics printed onto A4 and the quality is faultless. This is from my old 3.2meg Nokia.

3.2m is all the pixels you need in a phone! 8-10meg cameras on phones is pointless, its just numbers game! If you really need quality prints bigger than A4, BUY A CAMERA!

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!

In addition - do people really think that the chips in the phone cams are anything but bargain basement variety?!

Also Google "focal length"...

Don't be fooled by Big Numbers.

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!

In addition - do people really think that the chips in the phone cams are anything but bargain basement variety?!

Also Google "focal length"...

Don't be fooled by Big Numbers.

I must say the Carl Zeiss lense (5.0 or 3.2) used by Sony Ericsson and Nokia is pretty good, prob the best I've seen. Though the speed the phone focuses and processes the images lets it down.

The iPhone 3G is let down massively by O2s shoddy effort at 3g and just as bad poor EDGE coverage. Its just not up to scratch, no where near as good as Orange or any other networks coverage. The iPhone lacks good bluetooth functionality. Again, a massive let down. For a phone to be classed as a smart that can't sent files via bluetooth, mp3s etc to another phone is just lame, no excuse apple as I know you can do it! Its software is still a little buggy after 2.1 and still lacks voice guided gps and MS office app.

If you're after email retrieval, RIMs Blackberry is still the best solution - FACT.

You cant blame the Iphone for the network coverage - and pretty soon the 3G Iphone will be unlockable to any network....

Re your other points - It can do both of those things with the appropriate apps loaded - It can also act as a webserver in its own right and therefore you can allow other people to browse your Iphone as if it were a website - and download any file from the Iphone to any other web enabled device.

Voice guided GPS - Agree - It hasnt got that - but yet - I'm sure people are working on it.....Previously had an iPaq with the Pocket Excel/Word etc however found them completely useless - IMHO A device that small is never going to of any use for creating spreadsheets etc - But the Iphone does have read functionality for office formats and PDF's - so you can view what people send you if you need to.

Blackberry - FACT ? Again its personal preference - I'd prefer my Iphone to a Blackberry anyday.

I want blaming apple for the 02 network. However, apple made a wrong choice in choosing O2. Big time!

Kazi: For 3 years or so now all Macs have been able to run Windows 100%.

It is PC users who are limiting their software choices.

I boot up in Windows if I want to run Crysis etc on my Mac.

This myth of a lack of software on Macs is utter nonsense.

My Mac Pro has 4 drive sleds where I can slip any serial ATA drives up to 1TB in and out of all day long until my fingers bleed. How hard is that?

Mark is right. It's down to O2 to provide the network coverage.

ALL networks have differing coverage try wide so to say Orange is "better" is nonsense. Your perception will differ depending where you live.

The iPhone as standard can let you READ any Excel or Word files. I doubt THAT many people want to actually create a pivot table on the train to work.

Dude, you're talking to someone whos has used apple Macs for 20 years and continues to do so......I don't need patronising on what a Mac or Pc can or can't do.

My 7 years plus of experience in the mobile industry gives me a pretty good idea about coverage and back ground on network investments, customer feedback etc. I travel to many places around the country and O2s network is garbage. They were nearly fined by Ofcom for their lack of 3g coverage. So the fact you say its nonsense is just WRONG!!! The Coverage Orange offer both EDGE and 3G is far better....it no contest...3 share Oranges network, just like o2 are trying to broker a deal with them...My perception will not change on where I live.....

You only have to google Iphone and o2 3g and it brings up tons of complaints about shoddy sub standard network coverage....think you need to come back down from what ever Mac cloud you're sitting on....

perhaps so but you do get free unlimited access to bt openzone and the cloud wireless hotspots

Don't think you get that with other networks although I stand to be corrected on that

3.2m is all the pixels you need in a phone! 8-10meg cameras on phones is pointless, its just numbers game! If you really need quality prints bigger than A4, BUY A CAMERA!

You're absolutely right mate, I didn't mean in terms of picture size, 3.2 is more than enough, but I've seen photos from the 5MP one (K850?) and the quality of photos is much better than the 3.2MP phones - obviously it's down to the image processing too so may not be that relevant either way.

@Tyger: You're absolutely wrong about the image sensors in phones, yes they're not the same as proper cameras, but in terms of bargain basement rubbish, that's the Iphone camera that you're thinking of. I never use my phone as a proper camera, but if I'm out and just want to get a quick snap of something, the N95s 5MP camera takes some pretty respectable photos, which can't be said of the Iphone..............

Agree with Kazi about O2, does anyone know why the deal with Vodafone fell through at the end? It was originally rumoured to be out on Vodafone wasn't it?

And I still can't see why the Iphone has a price tag on top of an 18 month contract except them covering themselves against loss in iPod sales...........

perhaps so but you do get free unlimited access to bt openzone and the cloud wireless hotspots

Don't think you get that with other networks although I stand to be corrected on that

You're absolutely right mate, I didn't mean in terms of picture size, 3.2 is more than enough, but I've seen photos from the 5MP one (K850?) and the quality of photos is much better than the 3.2MP phones - obviously it's down to the image processing too so may not be that relevant either way.

@Tyger: You're absolutely wrong about the image sensors in phones, yes they're not the same as proper cameras, but in terms of bargain basement rubbish, that's the Iphone camera that you're thinking of. I never use my phone as a proper camera, but if I'm out and just want to get a quick snap of something, the N95s 5MP camera takes some pretty respectable photos, which can't be said of the Iphone..............

Agree with Kazi about O2, does anyone know why the deal with Vodafone fell through at the end? It was originally rumoured to be out on Vodafone wasn't it?

And I still can't see why the Iphone has a price tag on top of an 18 month contract except them covering themselves against loss in iPod sales...........

Was also rumored to be Orange because of their good data coverage and back ground of innovative services like wildfire, line 2 etc. Also given the fact Orange have it in France. Think any network other than o2 would have been a better choice.....but, apple being the way they are....hey their in business chose O2 as O2 offered them the best return on the deal.

Yes, you get cloud hotspots, so what? I want good data coverage wherever I am, not sitting at McDonalds, pubs airports and Starbucks....The 3g licenses were granted years ago....I understand they paid big money for them and the uptake of 3g/Video services has been slow but O2s lack of investment is poor.

Kazi: If you have been using Macs for so long you should know better than to make the comments you made. I wasn't patronising - I was stating facts.

I have in fact been designing and rolling out mobile phone networks throughout Europe for well over 10 years (so for all we know we probably work together every day! lol) and I too have a pretty good (read damn near spot on) idea of the coverage issues with different networks and YOU my friend are plain wrong. No O2's 3G network is not the greatest nor is it the worst. It is good in places and not in others - just like all the rest.

There are historical reasons why 3 hands over to Orange for their 2G calls and nothing to do with how good the network is.

I know someone at Voda who was in meetings with Steve Jobs about brokering a deal. Voda thought themselves above a revenue sharing agreement.

Basically they didn't have the vision O2 did. O2 have scored thousands upon thousands of customers because of this deal. Good job.

Of course they chose the network with the best deal. apple is a business.

What you also should know is that O2 only has exclusive rights for 3 (?) years. After that the floodgates will open....

Parthiban: I was meaning in comparison to real cameras, the phone chips are cheap n nasty. The Iphone chip would be no different, it just has lower resolution. Whoopy do. 3.2 or 2 MP? Does it make much difference? Certainly not to me. I email pics from my phone now and then or add a pic to a profile so I can see their ugly mug when they call me. If I want to take real pictures I use a real camera and not delude myself I am taking decent pics with a wannabe camera.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...mp;refer=canada

Dude, I'm not gonna argue anymore. The comments I made about the Mac were true. Now I'm a Mac fan, but one thing Mac users can't do that Pc users can is shut up. I love Macs and would never use anything else but not everyone wants to hear how great they are all the time. Macs have their faults.

The agreement deal was for 5 years for the record...

Anyhow, Gord...any closer to choosing a phone?

I know Gord found it interesting initially, but I do think this thread has been taken over completely now. Typically usual.

It is one of those discussions that people could make themselves look really foolish which is why I no longer participate in this type. All very silly and bigger things to worry about in life rather than getting het up over someone wanting a windows based system for gods sake.

Gord, it depends if you want a phone, PDA, etc. Some people prefer just a small handset and loads more variables. Your best bet is to go and play with a few and see what you think mate. It doesn't really matter how good something is - if you don't like you don't like it.

It is solely down to your own preference on what you want out of something that will generally be with you all day and every day.

02's agreement with apple is 5 years exclusivity and its currently being negotiated to extend this.

One of the contributing factors of going with 02 was Carphone Warehouse coming in on the deal with the exclusivity and its affiliation with Best Buy and Geek Squad. Steve Jobs and Charles Dunstone hit it off and the rest is now history!!

if the Iphone is so great then why did 02 refuse to stock the N96? The answer is simple, it was deemed as a threat to the Iphone. It has a better camera, 16gb storage plus expansion with another sd card - currently upto 16gb giving a total of 32 gb! double that of the Iphone!

Iphone has notorious issues with Battery life, call quality, dropping calls etc..

Dont get me wrong its still a good handset however just like any handset its not perfect as some people on here seem to suggest.. :whistling:

I too have had a look at the X1 and i was impressed, as to with the n96.. now im waiting to have a play with the google phone....

To go back to what Gord asked it all depends on what you want, cheapest line rental, best phone, free gifts etc...

I would suggest popping into your local carphone warehouse as we have a system called my mobile tarriff checker which helps you find the best deal.. wether thats an upgrade or new contractl..

Most networks now offer exactly the same deals on upgrades as well as new contracts as they want to keep there customers.. if you post up your main needs then will see if i can help you narrow it down..

02's agreement with apple is 5 years exclusivity and its currently being negotiated to extend this.

One of the contributing factors of going with 02 was Carphone Warehouse coming in on the deal with the exclusivity and its affiliation with Best Buy and Geek Squad. Steve Jobs and Charles Dunstone hit it off and the rest is now history!!

if the Iphone is so great then why did 02 refuse to stock the N96? The answer is simple, it was deemed as a threat to the Iphone. It has a better camera, 16gb storage plus expansion with another sd card - currently upto 16gb giving a total of 32 gb! double that of the iphone!

Iphone has notorious issues with battery life, call quality, dropping calls etc..

Dont get me wrong its still a good handset however just like any handset its not perfect as some people on here seem to suggest.. :whistling:

I too have had a look at the X1 and i was impressed, as to with the n96.. now im waiting to have a play with the google phone....

To go back to what Gord asked it all depends on what you want, cheapest line rental, best phone, free gifts etc...

I would suggest popping into your local carphone warehouse as we have a system called my mobile tarriff checker which helps you find the best deal.. wether thats an upgrade or new contractl..

Most networks now offer exactly the same deals on upgrades as well as new contracts as they want to keep there customers.. if you post up your main needs then will see if i can help you narrow it down..

Thanks wanting as many min & text as poss and free N96 or i900, I pay £30 per mth at the min.

Never mind eh.

It's just another Windows mobile dressed up pretty.

Mutton dressed as lamb.

5 minutes with it and you will regret it....

Gonna upset you Tyger. Judging by your posts you must have shares in apple (Mac or Iphone or both) :lol:

I have neither and am quite happy on both fronts now that my laptop has been fixed.

I have had 3 windows mobile phones, and really liked them, I went wrong due to being dropped down some concrete stairs,

but hey that would break most things. I have Tom-Tom on my current phone nad last one, with Co-pilot on my first.

The phone does everything I need it to, and on the rare occasion I surf the web on it, it is a little slow, and doesn't have

the slick browser the Iphone does. However a friend showed me some very nice software on his identical phone, and it has

a very similar user interface as my other friends 1st Gen Iphone.

I'm sure there is room in the mobile world for a large range of Iphone,Windows Mobile phones, symbian phones.

As for Gord, do as you do with cars......... just go for the one with the biggest Turbo/Supercharger !!

(you won't have it long enough to go out of date either :whistling:)

Thanks wanting as many min & text as poss and free N96 or i900, I pay £30 per mth at the min.

think something will have to give.. either paying more each month or paying for the phone.. they are both new handsets so are availiable at a premium..

best bet would be to go instore as they may be able to offer you something but its about £99 for the phone ona £35 contract..

when you say as many mins/txt what do you actually use?

I have had 3 windows mobile phones, and really liked them, I went wrong due to being dropped down some concrete stairs,

but hey that would break most things.

Think again.....

onion-iphone-specs.jpg

think something will have to give.. either paying more each month or paying for the phone.. they are both new handsets so are availiable at a premium..

best bet would be to go instore as they may be able to offer you something but its about £99 for the phone ona £35 contract..

when you say as many mins/txt what do you actually use?

Use 500+ mins and 10000's text :D

but hey that would break most things.

Think again.....

onion-iphone-specs.jpg

Brilliant :lol:

It does a very basic connection. If you mean will it connect then yes, but you can't transfer all your contacts, etc.

But that's the best way. Must be or Apple wouldn't have done it.

Thought as much, Can't believe I am even asking about an apple product to be honest. I despise the fact that they are so self-interested (non compatibility etc) and yet are so successful, so I usually do all I can to avoid their stuff..

Cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links