Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel Vibrations

FLEXUS K

my mate has already had both front wheels of and disk were in good nick,calipers are not sticking and he cleaned all mating parts before reassembly.THING WE CANT WORK OUT IS THE PROBLEM IS INTERMITENT AND IT CAN SOMETIMES VIBRATE WORSE EVEN AT THE SAME SPEED THAN OTHER TIMES.any ideas ormi????

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright ormi could an overtightened wheel cause a warped hub?also my problem can be intermitent if the hub was warped would the car vibrate all the time?

sorry dude a over tightened wheel would not cause this,it will prob depend on how hot the disks get as the disks really get hot even when your drivin about town slow,mine has just started doin this too not chuffed a other thing it could be is a tiny bit of rust between the disk and the hub also seen that too!!!!remove your disk check the hub and the inside of the disks.

Cool ormi...

Alot to get checking... Its s annoying as even this evening while driving.. sometimes... absolutely nothing.. perfect drive... then suddenly... vibrating like crazy..... Busy day ahead tomorrow...

brice 1ie sounds like we have the exact same problem.is your car ok below 50mph?

once above 70mph does it smooth out?

can breaking between 70-50mph exaggerate the problem?

can it sometimes run smooth at say 60mph then another day vibrate like crazy?

we,ll sort it between us mate.funny most cars with these symptons seem to be 2000plate sports wierd?

brice 1ie sounds like we have the exact same problem.is your car ok below 50mph?

once above 70mph does it smooth out?

can breaking between 70-50mph exaggerate the problem?

can it sometimes run smooth at say 60mph then another day vibrate like crazy?

we,ll sort it between us mate.funny most cars with these symptons seem to be 2000plate sports wierd?

Sorry.. not long home..

Yeah its the same as you have pointed out... I was shockec when i saw you had the same model and year car... Well didnt get a chance to go stripping my wheels and discs....

Hopfully tomorrow... but also glad Im not alone with the problem as maybe it will be quicker to find a solution.... maybe..

Just to let you know i have the same problem and i own a 2000 sport i have tried all sorts and get no joy

what ever you do dont replace your discs and pads without looking into other options as i have changed mine twice in 6 months not very healthy on my wallet

And it still vibrates but it is on and off worse in the rain as i found out yesterday

someone out there must have a solid answer without having to pretty much rip your car apart

the symptoms are all the same it can only be one thing please someone figure this out

i'm going nuts with it now just thought it was me being paranoid for a while lol

cheers Big Dave

Just to let you know i have the same problem and i own a 2000 sport i have tried all sorts and get no joy

what ever you do dont replace your discs and pads without looking into other options as i have changed mine twice in 6 months not very healthy on my wallet

And it still vibrates but it is on and off worse in the rain as i found out yesterday

someone out there must have a solid answer without having to pretty much rip your car apart

the symptoms are all the same it can only be one thing please someone figure this out

i'm going nuts with it now just thought it was me being paranoid for a while lol

cheers Big Dave

Dave - Sounds like sticky calipers to me...especially as it comes and goes...

Cheers mate i have been thinking that for a while just trying to get some lined up but didnt want to spend the money and end up with the same result

I have mentioned this solution on a few posts but it never really get alot of yeah that could be it dave lol

calipers are well expensive

Cheers Big Dave

See somebody else has another is200 sport with the same problems!

wot year is your car BIG DAVE not a 2000 Xplate by any chance?

How can you tell if a caliper is sticking?

none get hotter than another.

car does not pull to any side.

any other signs???

could tracking cause this problem?

any answers to the above guys?cheers.

doesn't take much to cause a substantial vibration. May not be sticking that much to generate loads of heat.

Plenty of places will check for free- so what to lose? Or I believe there are instructions on here somewhere on how to check yourself-

My is200 is a w so pretty much the same thing

i have had my tracking done so i dont think its that

i have had a feeling one of my calipers is faulty for a while

just trying to get some new ones so if my problem gets fixed it will be on here asap

I checked the price of a repair kit there about 60 pounds from lexus but a breaker on eBay will do you 2 calipers for about 100

I was told by a guy at the lexus dealer its common for older is200's to have this fault with calipers

its all if's and buts still tho guys sorry

cheers BIGDAVE

alright guys update time.

car has been MOT.D (by a mate)it failed on nearside lower ball joint.i was told the brakes were fine.

mentioned the problem to him and ball joint was the only problem he could find.

so one new ball and track rod end later and guess wot SAME PROBLEM!

i did.nt have time to get the tracking checked but the car still drives straight.

think im gonna bite the bullet and take it to lexus manchester and let them check tracking and find the fault.

never really noticed before but the gear stick appears to shake as well(ANY IDEAS)?

will lexus only charge if they find the fault or do you pay if they try and it does,nt

work?.its due a service anyway plus it has F.L.S.H

anybody answer the above questions?

cheers.

My gear stick does the same thing and its getting worse have been told by another mechanic its my passenger side caliper he has seen the fault before

i did notice that disc get a little hotter than the other he said it has something to do with brake fluid clogging up when it gets to hot and hardens

i know the guy so hes not trying to pull a fast one he can even get me calipers new for 45 pounds

this is my next port of call on payday

laters BIGDAVE

will lexus only charge if they find the fault or do you pay if they try and it does,nt

work?

From my past experience - they'll probably charge you for the investigative work.....Only had one dealer thats never charged me - which was also the one I received the best service from (although couldnt find the problem) but I did have a brand new GS300 for 4 days as a courtesy car.

alright guys update time.

car has been MOT.D (by a mate)it failed on nearside lower ball joint.i was told the brakes were fine.

mentioned the problem to him and ball joint was the only problem he could find.

so one new ball and track rod end later and guess wot SAME PROBLEM!

i did.nt have time to get the tracking checked but the car still drives straight.

think im gonna bite the bullet and take it to lexus manchester and let them check tracking and find the fault.

never really noticed before but the gear stick appears to shake as well(ANY IDEAS)?

work?.its due a service anyway plus it has F.L.S.H

anybody answer the above questions?

cheers.

Dammit Flexus.... :winky:

Was told one of my tracking rods had play... but having read this .... well my confidence on the problem going has ended.. and I have already changed what ive been told is a sticking caliper.... ok.... heres my question... IF it is a sticking caliper, why having driven the car for maybe an hour, and the car vibrating, why does it STILL only do it at certain speeds and under certain braking conditions?? If its sticking and the disc is warped why would it not do it all the time when braking... ?? :unsure:

no idea still trying to work it out.i thouht my new ball and track rod end would have been the end of it especially after failing MOT.

A lot of the lads on here think sticky caliper(s) but if you have changed yours im running out of ideas and hope.

again not sure why it only happens between certain speeds and conditions.

did your problem appear after having the wheels for any reason or did it just start?

As i said it could be one of you hub surfaces warped...reason being as this will get hot when you brake the longer you drive the car the more you brake the more the hub will get hot as its in direct contact with the disc....also check wheel bearing...

Yes mate they can check it with a dial out gauge...or check it with a straight edge.......reason i say is coz i had the same problem my car had a fight with a pot hole and a kerb went through all the obvious that everyone else is saying .....still the problem excist...so had a look at the offending side ( NS ) and had Tony barber and Mark and Tony bones at Wim have a look/ taken for a drive...well bit the bullit and got a new hub and bearing kit and well .problem solved....and also Ormi says he has seen this alot on toyota`s..

Once had the same and it was dirt compacted into the vents of the front ventilated disks.

Long shot, but you never know.

...another long shot is that the rear gearbox support mount is sagging and lowering the front of the propshaft causing it to run out of true.

Like the ventilated disks posibility, it's easy to check - jack up the drivers side of the car (take all usual precautions) and get underneath with a trolly jack and piece of wood. Place it under the gearbox, loosen the 4 12mm nuts that are holding the alloy support member to the gearbox mount and jack up the gearbox and fit about 4mm of spacers between the support member and the mount. Lower the gerabox and tighten the 4 nuts. Road test - and if it improves put a rear gearbox mount on your shopping list. If it dosn't then remove the spacers, happy in the knowledge that your rear gearbox mount - and prop are ok...

Good luck

jack

alright lads update time!

i took my car to lexus manchester and told them the problems.

had the car seviced and all the checks came back ok.(they checked disk for warping).

also had the car tracked due to having a new ball joint fitted the week before for MOT.

they rebalanced all four wheels.(said three were out even though i,d been told by two major tyre places they were ok).

result time..

the car is a lot smoother although there is still a very slight vibration between 50-65mph.

also when braking hard there is no extra vibration like before plus the gear stick does,nt shake as bad.

it is now livable but not perfect like it used to be.

im thinking the problem could be the two front tyres which look ok but are only a budget tyre and the car use to run on michellin pilot

sports with no problems.(although they ran ok on my mates 04plate.his car will be tighter though)

next step is swap fronts to back and hope that sorts it completly..

sounds gd mate, my discs have been checked and are warped so will change them and let you know how i get on :)

Glad your close to a result flexus / Dan....

Well ive jacked my car up tonight to find my front right wheel has either a bad buckle in it, a very badly fitted tyre or flat spotted, or a serious hub problem... Having jacked up the wheel, i put my hand between the tyre and the ground.When I spun the wheel the wheel actually hops up and down on my hand... im hoping its the wheel that is the problem as they were a refurb buy so maybe came slightly damaged., but.. the bigger question is.. could that cause such vibration under braking and when driving normal at certain speeds??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links