Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 400 No Spark On Drivers Side Of Engine

hi again,,, I have had a good look at the car and noticed that the problem was only one dizzy is working properly,,,

the drivers side one is completely dead,,,, i swapped over the coils and there seems to be no spark,,,

is there any other way to test the coil???

also do you think that the rotor arm may be at fault,, or even the dizzy,, cheers,, any advice will be appreciated,, Dan :crying:

As well as the coils there are the 'igniters' 1 and 2 .

Also number 1 and 2 cam position sensors send signals to the ECU, which calculates the ignition timing

and sends a signal to the igniter.

Whew!

The crank position sensor detects the crank angle, and the number ! cam position [ for left bank] and no 2 cam position [for right bank] sensors detect the CAM angle.

Have you got that?....[ Wish I had]

At a wild guess I would suggest the sensor for your 'dead' side may be faulty and not supplying the signal

needed to trigger the igniter on that side...

Might all be Bull..it but worth a look if your stuck.... :whistling:

Bit more info

Turn on ignition and check for Battery voltage at the coil + terminal

Resistance of coil [cold] Primary 0.41 - 0.50 ohms---Secondary10.2 - 13.8 ohms

Sensors 950- 1250 ohms

Keep us all updated!!

Hi again, im beginning to be a pest with all my questions,, anyway, does anyone know where I can get a code reader for my 94 ls 400 I have a obd2 reader but I dont think it will fit,,,,, :shutit:

I have swapped round the coils and im sure that one of the coils have gone,, I swapped round the igniters and they are ok so I put them back,, I ws wondering ,, does the serial numbers matter on the coil as there is one off an mr2 at the scrapyerd that is exactly the same 12v but different serial numbers,,,,, the connections are the same too!

Hi,

1994 LS400 does not have OBDII diagnostics so no code reader required below is a link to diagnostic codes and accessing them.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

Pull the codes 1st and see if this gives any clues.

Personally I wouldn't risk the MR2 coil as the primary resistance may be different which could upset the ECU.

I think I have the resistance reading data for the cam sensor if you want to check it let me know.

good news, the mr2 coil is working great,, the engine is running like is should, but I need to change the oil as its diluted with petrol as it wasnt running proper,,, thanks guys for your help,,,, also the power steering is working proper

Hi

Well done I bet you feel good, give yourself a pat on the back..... whats next on the list of must do???

Pete

well I swapped the car with a rover 216 coupe ( crash damaged) as you know,, the guy who i swapped with was in the motor trade and had a lot of mot tester friends,,,,, he thought he was giving me a car that he could not fix ( in regards to economical value, eg repairs worth more than the car,,) I feel great that he didnt even suspect the ignition coil,,, I know they had been looking for the problem as they numbered the leads,,, but they didnt have a good look at the car!,, I feel great,, but I couldnt have done it without everyones help so thanks a lot!! :winky:

next things to do!,, change oil and filters, clean off abs sensors, clean egr valve to help lower smoke,, basically it needs a good hard run up the motorway, but i have just lost my job, so ittl have to wait until I get it insured,,, Its moted so once taxed its ready to drive!,,, even the power steering has been fixed,, I have a good tip for all lexus owners with the power steering problem,,,, I used the old washer,,, but made my own rubber gasket using a square patch of bicycle innertube with a hole in the middle,,,,,, it works great! it has sealed the gap purfectly as the pressure from the bolts has sealed it.. and if a new o ring was fitted it acts as a secondry seal to protect from leakage!

the coil was only a tenner so it was a cheap fix

the car is smokey as been on drive for a while and the engine was flooded due to running on 4 cylinders,, might even be water due to heavy rain ( steam),, but Ill sort that, I got a gunston compression tester today,,, but its running so well that Im not going to bother testing it! it sounds like a mustang,,

I have just got some 15w - 40 duckhams oil ( thicker vilosity to help with higher mileage engines)

ill try send u some photos if you give me your email address as Im not sure how 2 use this site yet<<,,, anyway thanks again and when Im doing other odds and ends Ill let you know what im up to! Dan

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links