Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whats Top Speed You've Got On Is200

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard the super charger makes no difference after about 80-90 mph.

heard wrong IMO mate

I'd be happy to prove that in a safe environement against a normally aspirated IS200 :D

Im going on what ive heard and know from my own experience with a N/A IS200 and a S/C IS200. Seems to tail off the faster you go. 137MPH is the official N/A IS200 figure....and im not convinced having a S/C will give you a huge increase.

A S/C wont improve the top end, thats mechanically locked, the engine can only spin so fast, to spin the top gear in the gearbox to spin the wheels.

Forced induction or not cannot change that, only changing wheel size(bigger)/ rev limit(higher)/ gearbox cogs can change top speed.

A S/C wont improve the top end, thats mechanically locked, the engine can only spin so fast, to spin the top gear in the gearbox to spin the wheels.

Forced induction or not cannot change that, only changing wheel size(bigger)/ rev limit(higher)/ gearbox cogs can change top speed.

or final gear ratio in the final drive

Is that not the same thing?

no the gearbox is not the final drive gear

by changing the size of the final drive gearing can change the top end, or acceleration of the whole car

a final drive fitted from an automatic, would decrease( i think cant remember the actual gear size) think its 4.7) the cars top speed if fitted to a manual

either way, my auto had some more revs to give but run out of road/luck with traffic on the autobahn.

As for the S/C improving top end, top end speed slightly with more power if you have enough revs left vs drag

I would suspect, but if you are out of revs, then taller overall gearing is the only way for that to happen, with

changes to any or all of final drive/rev limit changed /bigger wheels etc.

As Kazi says above, the increase is not a lot (I'm guessing) about 8mph absolute maximum on the Auto with the bigger IS250 wheel/tyre

combination I am running on mine, but still disagree with what Kazi heard about the charger making no difference above 89-90mph.

Only way to test is go to Germany or an off road facility in the UK, am happy to test against another N/A Auto IS200 if it could be arranged.

no the gearbox is not the final drive gear

by changing the size of the final drive gearing can change the top end, or acceleration of the whole car

a final drive fitted from an automatic, would decrease( i think cant remember the actual gear size) think its 4.7) the cars top speed if fitted to a manual

Fair enough you learn something new everyday,

yee know tooo much :P

@ cameron there is a couple of dual carriageways near me that you can get upto some speeds, I clocked 143 racing a integra type-r :D

Private Dual carriageways?

The IS200 doesnt even have 160 on it

In which case fellas, I have inadvertently lied to you all!

I know for a fact that my tom tom said 143mph, and i remember the speedo way over-reading towards the end of the clock, but at that speed I obviously didn't read it off properly!

Appologies!

I know for a fact that my tom tom said 143mph, and i remember the speedo way over-reading towards the end of the clock, but at that speed I obviously didn't read it off properly!

Appologies!

That's crazy, according to my sums you were on the limiter in top gear if you were doing 143!!! Hope you didn't stay there too long.

Appologies!

That's crazy, according to my sums you were on the limiter in top gear if you were doing 143!!! Hope you didn't stay there too long.

No i didn't, i wanted to see 145mph but couldn't get tomtom past 143, so gave up.

yee know tooo much :P

@ cameron there is a couple of dual carriageways near me that you can get upto some speeds, I clocked 143 racing a integra type-r :D

Private Dual carriageways?

Ofcourse Stav ;-), oh and I held the teggy upto 110 but then his vtec was just too much :(

Appologies!

yes you can hit the limiter in 6th, at a total top speed of 143

in other words the gear box the lex has got is rubbish ??

with a 6 speed gear box i would have expected better top and lower revs.

i know for a fact i smashed out 140mph in my vectra. and still had about 5/600 revs to play with.

also like doing 40 in 6th in the lex the revs are at 2000rpm, i used to idle at 1500 rpm in 5th gear in the vectra doing the same speed.

with a 6 speed gear box i would have expected better top and lower revs.

i know for a fact i smashed out 140mph in my vectra. and still had about 5/600 revs to play with.

also like doing 40 in 6th in the lex the revs are at 2000rpm, i used to idle at 1500 rpm in 5th gear in the vectra doing the same speed.

no its not rubbish, its geared for what the car was designed for, and considering the gearbox is used in a fair few other makes of cars, it can be the big bag of nails you imply it is.

if you like your vectra so much...why did you get the lexus..... :winky:

What nonsense! The gearing is tailored to the characteristics of the engine... The IS200 needs to be quite low geared otherwise it would be very slow from rest, the gear spacing is to allow a driver to maintain the engine speed in it's power band... The dictating factor of how high or low a car is geared is governed by the final drive (differential and wheel diameter/ Tyre diameter)

A 2.5 V6 is a totally different engine to a 2.0 I6 and do the gearing is obviously going to be different to suit each application

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links