Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whats Top Speed You've Got On Is200

so if the IS200 was rolling down a hill.....a long hill.....an unrestricted hill

in 6th gear, would it go faster than 143 or not ?

or would the gearbox be braking it ?

Not it would not go faster than 143. It's the combination of the rev limiter @ 6500rpm, and the lowish 6th gear, which means the car won't go quicker than 143.

in other words the gear box the lex has got is rubbish ??

As people have said above it doesn't mean the gearbox is rubbish. The IS200 gearbox is low-ratio and close-ratio. It allows you to keep the car in the power and make the best of the power it has. If the gearing was altered you could end up changing up and dropping below the VVTi point, which would knacker your acceleration through the gears. Or, if they'd put a taller sixth gear in, it might have poor acceleration on the motorway, say on inclines. You'd be having to change down to 5th which would make the car feel gutless.

I sometimes think I'd prefer a longer sixth gear for quieter cruising on the motorway, but then the car would need more power. So it's set about right I think. Snow button makes it quieter on the motorway too I find.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that kinda makes sence.

tbh ive never droped a gear on the motorway in the lex. once im like over 50 i live in 6th.

what rpm does the vvti exactly kick in?? 4000 or 5000rpm ?

I think it's @4500rpm. Limiter cuts in at 6500rpm so only 2000rpm to play with.

I was quite pleased with the power on my IS200 when I got it though, I'd read a few people saying it was completely gutless below 4.5k, then it picked up. I don't find the difference that big, I find it pulls fairly well all round the rev range (but with more at the top end obviously), well it does for a big car with 155bhp anyway.

is there any thing on the market to control the vvti, relatively cheap.like a vtec controler or somthing.

i know gord mentioned one to me in a brief convo we had, but ive totally forgotten what it was :)

Is what i would like to know is why every one is on about the top speed of the IS when, the only place you can do that speed is on a trackday? i for one would not want to do that speed in a std lexus with no mod's any way, + how many of you have seen a track in your lexus, and if you have! how many times would you go to a track in a year 1 or 2 times, i for 1 would like a beter 0-60 time, you can keep the top speed just give me a 3-4 sec 0-60 time then i would be happy :)

lot of members go to germany for the ring so travel on the unrestricted parts of the autobahn ( there is also a 90km length next to me :0) )

why wouldnt u do that speed in a std car? its not going to fall apart and the brakes are fine.

why wouldnt u do that speed in a std car? its not going to fall apart and the brakes are fine.

I'm sure you already know this anyway Rob, but obviously you still need to be very careful if you try this sort of thing on the autobahn, e.g. closing speeds will be much higher than you may have been used to before (e.g. on UK roads), reduced reaction time if someone suddenly pulls out etc. As you say, the car should be able to handle it fine, it's the driver that's more risky ! :lol:

everyone thinks it is easy driving on the autobahn

its the unexpected lorry pulling out that makes you realise that travelling at above 100mph isnt so easy

stopping distances are spectacularly longer than you think, even with Lexus brakes :crybaby:

hitting a snow drift at 120 whilst overtaking a lorry was a bit of a heart stopping moment !! :crybaby:

Same in all the Benelux countries too - Just a different way of driving - Indicator is for telling you they ARE pulling out - not that they want to.

You soon get used to it - and to be honest - its quite nice to do be able to do it yourself -

I really enjoy driving on the continent - especially at night - IMO there also appears to be a lot less lane hogging and driving in the outside lane - they pull back in very quickly....

I am astonished to read the claims that IS200's can exceed 130mph. Judging by the acceleration feel, I am surprised that they can exceed 120mph. How accurate are the speedos? Check out rototest.com for the REAL power figures for the IS rather than Lexus's own. Most manufacturers overclaim their output figures and it seems to work. Even Top Gear/5th Gear quote them as gospel. I guess it would be so expensive to dynotest every car after having paid for all those expensive film shoots.

BTW that Rototest.com you suggested.

States for the IS200:

Powertrain performance

Wheel power

kW (PS / bhp) at 1/min 103 (140 / 138) at 6411

Total wheel torque / total reduction

Nm (lb-ft) at 1/min 174 (129) at 4812

Stated engine performance

Engine power

kW (PS / bhp) at 1/min 114 (155 / 153) at 6200

Engine torque

Nm (lb-ft) at 1/min 195 (144) at 4600

So they managed to rev the IS200 to 6411 revs? I thought the IS was limited to 6250?

Also if the Engine power stated is 153BHP, the figure they worked out converted to fly bhp (+10 then divide by 0.88) is 168BHP!

pretty inpressive?!

I am astonished to read the claims that IS200's can exceed 130mph. Judging by the acceleration feel, I am surprised that they can exceed 120mph. How accurate are the speedos? Check out rototest.com for the REAL power figures for the IS rather than Lexus's own. Most manufacturers overclaim their output figures and it seems to work. Even Top Gear/5th Gear quote them as gospel. I guess it would be so expensive to dynotest every car after having paid for all those expensive film shoots.

Not sure what you mean by the "REAL" power figures. Are you perhaps referring to the power at the wheels as opposed to the engine output power ? Because manufacturer's figures are engine power, not what you get down at the wheels. Since that's what all manufacturers quote, I don't really see the problem, you're still comparing like with like if you compare one engine's power with another.

I wonder how many people run higher tyre pressures when they go to Germany, I would say you should do if you're doing autobahn speeds.

and what speeds are they then........?

98% of the autobahn system is a maximum speed of 130km/h.(81mph), with large portions at 120km/h, and some parts as low as 80km/h

only a very small percentage of the autobahn network is now De-restricted

in my personal opinion, the construction of the autobahns, are not as good as motorways in the uk, many are still 2 lane, they dont light the autobahns, and the surface is not cambered, and there is no such thing as cats eyes ..........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links