Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

!help! Is200 Wont Start !

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the is200 engine is non-interference so you should have no Valve / piston strike what so ever

Thats what i meant!! Couldnt think of the right terminology!!

was the same on my old civic!! just put on a new belt and away i went!! wasnt sure if the is200 was the same..

Tis good news indeed.

WOW, theres alot of **** being spouted in this topic.

it will do no harm, on getting the timing set back to the correct marks , and putting a new belt on.

this will cause no more damage than "could have been caused" so far.

otherwise you take the risk of stripping the head off to look at a perfect head............. :rolleyes: trust me, it has no damage!

when i ran my garage/workshop in Germany, if a customer brought a car in for a snapped belt, the first task, was to check with a belt on.

on most of the engines there was no damage and the cost was only the change of the belt and pulleys.

the is200 engine is non-interference so you should have no Valve / piston strike what so ever

If you is right..... you is going to get a big big big huuuuuuugggg :hehe: ahem ahem

ok back to reality.

my old man had a fiat back in the day. the belt snaped on that and the valve on that were bent not all of then though. thats what im dreading. i havnt got that sort of money to pay out at this moment in time aswell.

WOW, theres alot of **** being spouted in this topic.

it will do no harm, on getting the timing set back to the correct marks , and putting a new belt on.

this will cause no more damage than "could have been caused" so far.

otherwise you take the risk of stripping the head off to look at a perfect head............. :rolleyes: trust me, it has no damage!

when i ran my garage/workshop in Germany, if a customer brought a car in for a snapped belt, the first task, was to check with a belt on.

on most of the engines there was no damage and the cost was only the change of the belt and pulleys.

If you is right..... you is going to get a big big big huuuuuuugggg :hehe: ahem ahem

ok back to reality.

my old man had a fiat back in the day. the belt snaped on that and the valve on that were bent not all of then though. thats what im dreading. i havnt got that sort of money to pay out at this moment in time aswell.

i am Right

There's another terminology as well I think - engines that do not damage the values, pistons and so on when the cambelt or chain snaps are referred to as "safe engines."

There's another terminology as well I think - engines that do not damage the values, pistons and so on when the cambelt or chain snaps are referred to as "safe engines."

never heard that, the correct terminology is...non-interference

Google it!! :)

Just thought some people may have heard of that term instead. I'd never heard of interference and non-interference before today - good to learn something new. Thanks

Just thought some people may have heard of that term instead. I'd never heard of interference and non-interference before today - good to learn something new. Thanks

I'll not Google it, as a mechanic I'll use the correct terminology, but at least others that don't know can expand there knowledge with

Non-Interference (Safe) = snapped belt, no damage through Piston/Valve strike

Interference(not-safe) = snapped belt damage through contact of Piston crown and valve (possible camshaft and valve guide damage)

I'll not Google it, as a mechanic I'll use the correct terminology, but at least others that don't know can expand there knowledge with

Interference(not-safe) = snapped belt damage through contact of Piston crown and valve (possible camshaft and valve guide damage)

true true i agree.

if it doesnt rain tomz i think i might give it a go.

guess im going to have to take the other belts off 1st to get my hands in.

fitting the belt wont be to hard, how would i get the timing settings right on it ?

true true i agree.

if it doesnt rain tomz i think i might give it a go.

guess im going to have to take the other belts off 1st to get my hands in.

fitting the belt wont be to hard, how would i get the timing settings right on it ?

its not just a case of chucking on a new belt.

you will need to get hold of the procedure for changing the belt.

i dont have my workshop manual to hand otherwise i would scan it for you

i agree mat.. that is the correct terminology.. i justy couldnt remember it..

would also say that its prob worth getting it done at a garage to make sure there are no other issues and at least you will ahve some sort of warranty on the work..

do it right and pay once, cut corners and pay at lot more than once!

i'll try and find a how2 on here.

if not then hit a trip to halford and buy a book.

This might help you matey IS200 ONLINE MANUAL

Click on REPAIR MANUAL then on ENGINE MECHANICAL and then TIMING BELT in the drop down lists :) will at least let you see whats involved in the cambelt inspection, repair and replacement :)

heres a question then why did lexus change the timing belt recommended change time from 100k miles to 60k miles if there is going to be no damage to the engine if its a possibility that the belt can break :question:

and whats stopping anyone from leaving the belt on from the recommended change time if no damage will be done ;)

heres a question then why did lexus change the timing belt recommended change time from 100k miles to 60k miles if there is going to be no damage to the engine if its a possibility that the belt can break :question:

and whats stopping anyone from leaving the belt on from the recommended change time if no damage will be done ;)

because it may be "non-inteference/safe/whatever" but its not fool proof and some damage may be cause somewhere.

Aaron funny enough thats what i thought but its probably all down to preventative maintainance and good practice?? :unsure:

because it may be "non-inteference/safe/whatever" but its not fool proof and some damage may be cause somewhere.

like where :question:

Aaron funny enough thats what i thought but its probably all down to preventative maintainance and good practice?? :unsure:

and they make more money :whistling:

That's interesting. A while back, on another cambelt discussion thread (I tried searching but can't find it right now), I posted that Wikipedia says all the Toyota 1G engines are non-interference, but I assumed that was wrong because so many people here seemed to say that snapped cambelts on the IS200 could cause major damage ! No-one contradicted this at that time. Useful to learn that Wiki is right on this one though !

may have skipped a reply but i would fit new cambelt with tensioner and idler.buy or lend a compression tester and check readings.take 2 readings on each pot so you havent made a mistake.hopefully alls well.if not new valves (not all of them).new head or new engine and transfer ya new belt to it.good luck.make sure that nothing has locked up on ya motor to cause falier.

I stand corrected Mat. I was just going on what generally happens when a cambelt snaps, good to hear the IS engine wont have those problems if the belt goes.

I wouldnt do just the belt tho i'd check the tensioners at least, prob better to change them aswell.

Only kidding about the Supra engine BIG job for ppl with deep pockets matey.

So is that a defo Mat that it is a non interference engine as I have a auto data CD and it states that it is, I ask is that my cambelt is a little overdue for changing as I have been too busy to sort it. :whistling: