Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

!help! Is200 Wont Start !

jus an update about the is200 bein a 'non-interferance' i dont agree with it and dont tink it is correct.

Spent the day at the garage replace the cambelt. Start The engine up, it wasnt happy it was it was rattling, so strip the engine to find 6damaged pistons.

wow sorry to hear that, well thats confirmed a few things then......

and theres alot of false information now put right....some from Bloody Toyota!!!

will update wiki

Wiki Updated

so an anon report from an anon poster has confirmed exactly what...that the engine can be damaged by the cam belt snapping :question: or have i missed something here....the reason i ask is that mine is on 53k and its something i need to think about doing sooner rather than later

by the way nowt wrong with being anon

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you will get damage to the engine with the cambelt snapping but how much damage, i guess will most probbly depend on the speed of the engine when the belt snaps.

mine snaped when it was idleing at 1000rpm, so not major major damage only found 6 damaged pistons.

now im guessing if the car was running and the engine was running at lets say 3000rpm, you must probbly will get more damage.

now for me it just matter of finding out the prices of pistons for it, wont be cheap i know what for sure.

*cough* uprated *cough*

Or if you want a cheaper option, Sams just uprated his pistons and rods in his Turbo install so he may have his standard ones spare?

Stav

that might be an idea,

but whos sam ??

you will get damage to the engine with the cambelt snapping but how much damage, i guess will most probbly depend on the speed of the engine when the belt snaps.

mine snaped when it was idleing at 1000rpm, so not major major damage only found 6 damaged pistons.

now im guessing if the car was running and the engine was running at lets say 3000rpm, you must probbly will get more damage.

now for me it just matter of finding out the prices of pistons for it, wont be cheap i know what for sure.

I'm now totally confused!!!! "Is the is200 a "non-interference"or an "interference engine" ????

Can somebody within our ranks who is in contact with a friendly LEXUS workshop tech give us a definitive answer.

As regards your 6 damaged pistons and having to replace them all; methinks that some of your valves also require replacement as these are the items that have damaged your pistons in the the first place ! :crybaby:

The easiest way to check valves without removing them whilst the head is off is to pour some paraffin carefully down each inlet and exhaust tract - make a note of the paraffin level in each tract. Leave the head on a flat surface for an hour or two/overnight.

Following the allocated time then check the paraffin levels of all inlet & exhaust tracts - any levels that have gone down is a sure sign that that valve has been in contact with the piston and is bent beyond repair.

Good luck and please keep us informed of progress.

The engine is INTERFERENCE

Matt was originally wrong with what he stated.

and all credit to him for sticking his hands up straight away and acknowledging it.

Is it possible that your manner of driving can effect wear and tear on the belt. ie if a car has been hammered theres more chance of the belt being worn than normal sedate general use. :whistling:

One thing for sure we rarely read about snapped cam belts on here .

sorry my mistake guys , its Valve damage ive got not piston damage, i confused the two.

me and my friend who runs the garage, we decided to just totaly strip the engine and build it.

just send the head away to be skimmed etc, and replace all valve, the pistons seem oright to me. i will be getting someone else with alot more experienceto check it out for us thought.

*cough* uprated *cough*

Or if you want a cheaper option, Sams just uprated his pistons and rods in his Turbo install so he may have his standard ones spare?

Stav

No his standard one's are well fooooked Stav, seen the pistons when Steve took engine apart :o

the vectra, i started having some issue with it after the accident and i lost interest init , didnt want to spend more on it so best thing was to sell it on. but oh well... im still working on this one not got much spare time... hoping to get it sorted by next week.

so, what parts did you change and how much did it cost?

you could pretty much say rebuilt half the engine, although the chap at the garage said there was only 6-8 valves damaged. i decided to replace all 24 of them, water pump, full new belt kit, tensioner, pullies, had the head skimmed, new head gasket.

cost just under £700.

But its been well worth it, the car seems soooo much smoother than it was before and the power delivery seem alot better aswell. ive got it booked to get it on the rolling road on the 15th of november.

if any one else is interested in getting there lex on the rolling road give me a shout we still have a few space available. we have arrange he rolling dat out via another form im a menber on.

so, what parts did you change and how much did it cost?

you could pretty much say rebuilt half the engine, although the chap at the garage said there was only 6-8 valves damaged. i decided to replace all 24 of them, water pump, full new belt kit, tensioner, pullies, had the head skimmed, new head gasket.

cost just under £700.

But its been well worth it, the car seems soooo much smoother than it was before and the power delivery seem alot better aswell. ive got it booked to get it on the rolling road on the 15th of november.

if any one else is interested in getting there lex on the rolling road give me a shout we still have a few space available. we have arrange he rolling dat out via another form im a menber on.

That's a lot of work and a lot of parts for £700. Which garage is it? Makes you think how on earth Lexus can ask £700 for 2 major services , but that's a common gripe.

My belt snapped just over a month ago as well, i were looking at a £1500 repair bill for orignal Lexus parts inc all other belts and labour too, however thanks to the AA's parts and labour warrenty they made a £500 contribution, and in my experience, the IS200 is NOT a non-interference engine, mine broke when idling and was only attempeted to start twice but i had bent valves and bent pistons.

Looking forward to the news on the rollog road though, im running on LPG and am curious to see how the figures are affected