Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ebc Brakes

hopefully, a stupid question - but one I need to ask

:blush:

seen a few threads now where Mr Clawley is expounding the standard and quality of the stock IS 200 brakes (can out brake a boxter I belive the analogy was)

My brakes are gonna need replacing soon - and I am looking at the EBC group buy coming up, and thinking all round pads and front disks ( :D ).

These brakes are at least as good, if not better than the stock IS brakes - aren't they?

I have no need to upgrade the cars braking ability - I am not increasing the power or speed of the car at all ( :( ) - so have no need for upgraded brakes (but I like the idea of wheels that are clean for > 45 minutes, and the grooved disks do look nice, as well as being necessary with the pads.)

But - I am certainly not interested in downgrading the braking ability of the car - I would not be doing this by switching to EBC would I?

:withstupid:

Hi Matt,

I fitted just the pads for the cleaner wheels benefit you have noted and I certainly found an improvement in the braking performance as well.

I believe they allow you to brake harder and longer and suffer less brake fade at higher temperature.

I would definately say that fitting the pads and the disks would not be a downgrading your brakes

i did have a set of ebc on my rover..managed to warp them within 3 weeks

i only upgraded to STOP TECH's because of the engine upgrades, otherwise id have stuck with the factory kit........which incidently is actually better than the race set up around town....

unless your approaching the lights at 60mph..eh zee ;)

my personal view on the EBC is if you wants pretty lines and minimul dust get them..otherwise stick with what is undoubtly a bloomin good brake system as standerd

From the very little I know about brakes, the reason the EBC pads produce less dust etc is that they are harder compound than the standard ones.

This does however mean that something else has to wear, harder pads mean more wear on the discs.

I am still unsure about EBC pads on standard discs (what I was thinking of doing) as I didn't want to have to change the discs ever year or so!

With the EBC discs they should last longer, but then harder pads and harder discs means less braking power - doesn't it?? Someone please chip in to correct if I am barking up the wrong tree!! :blink: :duh:

EBC discs are matched to EBC pads, the pads contain a high % of carbon/kevelar, which generates less brake dust, but which is harder than standerd pads.

the trade of is the pads wear harder, reducing disc life, and generating more heat, the pads will be slightly more noisy and can cause disc warpage easier

and can in some situations require some heating first thing in the morning

the EBC set up on my last car, was better, but did suffer from the faults above.

i find it hard to belive the EBC set up can really better the std set up on the is200 considering the same set up is used on the GS300/340 which are heavier cars and technically more powerfull.

Supracharge.......If there arnt any other takers.... ill go for your discs and pads :arrrggg-matey:

Thas if they are the EBC wotsits and not the stock Leux ones :)

And Pee-J dont want them as he asked (no intention of treading on toes)

I reckon it's a real mistake to you EBC pads without EBC discs - they last no time at all by themselves.

Cost me a set of rear discs to learn this

But you can't get EBC rear discs can you? :unsure:

I reckon it's a real mistake to you EBC pads without EBC discs - they last no time at all by themselves.

Cost me a set of rear discs to learn this

But you can't get EBC rear discs can you? :unsure:

Actually I'm not sure - but I'd recommend leaving the rear pads as standard if you can't

Not sure if there is a need to do the rears is there.

Might be wrong but i think that around 60-70% of braking is on the front. :geek:

I also dont need to spend as much time cleaning the rear wheels as the front.

.. EBC discs are matched to EBC pads, the pads contain a high % of carbon/kevelar, which generates less brake dust, but which is harder than standerd pads.

the trade of is the pads wear harder, reducing disc life, and generating more heat, the pads will be slightly more noisy and can cause disc warpage easier

and can in some situations require some heating first thing in the morning

the EBC set up on my last car, was better, but did suffer from the faults above.

i find it hard to belive the EBC set up can really better the std set up on the is200 considering the same set up is used on the GS300/340 which are heavier cars and technically more powerfull.

WARNING!!

brake pads DO NOT SLOW YOUR CAR DOWN!!!

All brake pads do, is transfer the forward kinetic energy of your car, into heat.

If one brake pad produces MORE heat than another during braking, then that's a good thing!

The quicker a brake pad transfers your car's forward kinetic energy to heat, the quicker your car loses it's kinetic energy.

Therefore, the more heat generated during braking, the better!!

Hence the reason EBC pads are best matched to EBC (or any other heat resistant) brake discs. And NO chance of warp. (Under normal or heavy road use. NOT Racing.)

The majority of information you're reading in the above posts (which has amused me profusely), I'm afraid to say is total rubbish, disinformation or based on hearsay or speculation. Not based on facts.

If you want facts on EBC brake pads, or EBC brake rotors, go read the EBC website.

What they say about their pads and rotors, has to stand up in a court of law.

Not what you read here.......

EBC Website... See HERE

Glad to see that you're talking your own special brand of crap as usual Gordzz

What ever happended to the right to have an opinion???

Specifically what in the posts is, in your opinion, falls into the category:-

"The majority of information you're reading in the above posts (which has amused me profusely), I'm afraid to say is total rubbish, disinformation or based on hearsay or speculation. Not based on facts."

Sorry Roddz, but since when was stating facts considered "crap". :geek:

And I'm certainly NOT critising the right to anyone's opinion.

If you want "FACTS" about EBC, they are on the website. :phone:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links