Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Complaint (bradford / Leeds)

tonygo

Dear All,

I have made a complaint to Steve Settle (Lexus GB) about the service I have received from Lexus Leeds and Bradford. Thus far I have been dissatisfied with the response. I am keen to learn if others have had similar tales of woe, and also if it is OK to put copies of the correspondence on this website.

Thanks for your help

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to LOC mate,

Only time I've used Lexus Leeds is for buying parts and tbh they've always treated me well- had no bad experiences with them. Don't know what they are like for servicing or warranty work as I have never used them to do this kind of work.

Dear All,

I have made a complaint to Steve Settle (Lexus GB) about the service I have received from Lexus Leeds and Bradford. Thus far I have been dissatisfied with the response. I am keen to learn if others have had similar tales of woe, and also if it is OK to put copies of the correspondence on this website.

Thanks for your help

Welcome to the club mate, :D

Letter to Lexus October 29th 2008

Dear Mr. S. Settle (via email to Alex.Kirkby@lgb.lexus.co.uk )

Chief Executive, Lexus GB

I am sad to report that there are further serious issues that I would like to raise with you for a personal response about this ongoing saga.

1) There has been an allegation by the Servicing department at Bradford that the part supplied by Lexus Leeds (which was allegedly the part supplied to them by Lexus Head office) was a "second hand diff that had been taken out of a car involved in a serious accident". Lexus Bradford further allege that they had to source independently a new rear differential to put in the car in July 2008.

You will recall that I had to go to Lexus customer relations as Lexus Leeds refused to release the part at all to Lexus Bradford.

On reviewing the paperwork for the alleged repair there is no mention of the differential at all, nor it's fitting and I am left in the highly uncomfortable position of not knowing what, if anything, has been repaired, and using what part.

2) When my wife went to collect our Lexus in July 2007 [sic - this should have read July 2008] from Lexus Bradford (for the fitting of the rear differential, front discs and pads, and 60,000 service) it made a loud noise. She was instructed by the then Service Manager (Nigel) to come back later while he looked at the car again. My wife was told that there was a fault with the hand brake cable that should have not have happened; that they had spoken to Lexus Customer Relations and had replaced the faulty part.

When our car recently was taken to Lexus Bradford in regards to a further noise, we were quoted for replacement of both hand brake cables as one had seized. When we pointed out to Amanda Bradley that this had only been replaced in July 2008 and should be under warranty, we were told that there was nothing in the July documentation to indicate that any hand brake fault had been either identified or rectified in in July 2008 (when the car had the rear differential fitted and a 60,000 mile service). Further Bradford servicing alleged that on visual inspection that neither of the hand brake cabled had been replaced.

Again we are extremely concerned that the Bradford documentation has not documented the identification of and the replacement of the hand brake cable fault, and furthermore, that we may have been misled that this had been rectified in July.

3) We raised with Lexus Head office, and our local Trading Standards office, serious concerns that Lexus Leeds had stated that the rear discs and pads needed changing urgently (within 2000 miles at the most), whereas conversely Lexus Bradford had indicated that not only did they not need replacing, but would last another 10,000 miles until the next service. These did not seem compatible opinions to us, especially when franchised dealers from a premium brand should be aspiring to the same level of servicing.

We therefore agreed in writing that Lexus Bradford would honour the price they had quoted for the replacement of the rear discs and pads whilst we obtained an independent opinion. We sought that opinion, not unreasonably in all the circumstances, from Customer Relations who declined to assist us. In any event, the independent opinion was that they did need replacing. We were surprised when we booked this into Lexus Bradford to be quoted 3 times what we had been quoted originally by Bradford (though they did agree to honour the price they had quoted in writing - even stating that they were fitting it for less than the parts). This did leave us wondering whether they should have been replaced in the first instance, but Lexus Bradford had quoted the incorrect (too low) amount (£110 for parts and labour of rear discs and pads).

When we confronted Lexus Bradford about the difference in opinion between Lexus Leeds and Bradford, and the independent opinion, Lexus Bradford stated that they stood by their opinion, and that Lexus Leeds "do not know what they are talking about". Further the Servicing Manager stated, "He [pointing to a senior technician] should know, he used to work for them". When we spoke to Lexus Leeds about the allegation of providing the second hand part they said it was "complete rubbish". Moreover they said of the Bradford service engineer who had told us this had done this because "Let's just say he used to work for us, was relieved of his duties, and sold crisps out of a van for a year. Leeds weren't interested in having him back so he went to Bradford".

I am left with an overwhelming feeling that I am dealing with 2 immensely unprofessional dealerships not supported by the premium brand I have paid for. I have a car at the Bradford dealership that I do not know if it is drivable. Frankly I have no idea whether the rear differential and hand brake cables have been replaced or not, or with what. The documentation I have would suggest that neither have been replaced and I am extremely concerned about the allegations being made about second hand parts being recovered from write-off vehicles being used by a Lexus authorised dealer. Further I had no idea, nor trust in either dealer, whether the current problems I am having with the car (which the AA man who recovered the vehicle has documented as "rear diff") relate to the original problem with the differential and it's repair.

I would call for your urgent intervention in these matters. I would be grateful if you could provide a courtesy car forthwith and intervene in the deeply unprofessional squabbling between your dealerships, and once again, not leave the customer left high and dry. It is my belief, as I previously stated to you, that this matter should have been dealt with in the first instance as a warranty repair with a short extension to the warranty to cover other similar faults that in Lexus's own words "should not have happened".

An extremely disappointed Lexus owner

Dr. & Mrs. A.

Response from Lexus 30th October

Dear Dr G

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me earlier regarding your concerns. I agree that there are certainly aspects of your experience that could have been handled better and I have now had the opportunity to discuss the matter with our Regional Manager as I explained earlier.

It seems that it is not possible to tell by looking at the differential whether the part is brand new or not, once it has been fitted, but we have established that the incorrect box was initially given to Lexus Bradford. The box contained a completely different part that had been removed from another vehicle as part of a warranty repair. Once the mistake had been noticed, the correct part was collected. Whilst I appreciate that you do not have documentation that supports the fitment of the differential, I can confirm that it is clearly noted on the job card at the Centre.

I have been unable to source an explanation as to why you were LED to believe that the handbrake cable had been replaced previously. I am sure you can appreciate that we were not privy to any of these conversations and on that basis cannot substantiate this.

However, in order to bring this matter to an amicable close, if you are prepared to authorise the current repairs, I am willing to increase my earlier offer to provide all of the following parts free of charge as a gesture of goodwill:

Part number 46430-48170 handbrake cable

Part number 46420-48170 handbrake cable

Part number 42370-49125 outer joint shaft

Part number 42304-48031 shift assembly

Part number 42305-48031 shift assembly

The total retail price for these parts is £1099.17 and is of course in addition to our previous goodwill in respect of the differential - retail cost of £1136.39.

Unfortunately, we are unable to comply with your request to keep you mobile and of course the labour charges will need to be discussed with Lexus Bradford.

In closing, I do hope this gesture will go someway towards restoring your faith in the Lexus brand. If you wish to accept the offer, please advise Lexus Bradford so that they may progress with the repair.

Yours sincerely

Gill Want

Lexus Customer Relations Team Manager

Original Complaint to Lexus GB

20th December 2007

Dear Mr. S. Settle,

I write further to my earlier discussions with the Leeds Lexus

dealership, customer relations and your PA Alex Kirkby. So we best

understand each others position, we agreed it would be best to put my

complaint, and your response, in writing. I would be grateful if you

could personally consider each numbered aspect of my complaint in

relation to my Lexus RX 300 SEL.

1) I purchased my Lexus RX 300 SEL brand new (with delivery mileage)

from the Lexus Cambridge dealership in 2004. As a first time Lexus

customer (moving from Porsche) I was under the impression I was buying

a prestige new car from an authorised dealer with the full back up of

a prestige manufacturer. However in recent discussions with Customer

Relations I was told that I had bought my car "second hand" from

Cambridge aged 3 months old. I appear to have been misleadingly sold a

second hand car (albeit with delivery only mileage).

2) We moved to Leeds shortly after purchasing the car and maintained a

full service history with Lexus Leeds. At a recent service a fault was

identified. In the words of Lexus Service Manager, and with no

prompting or suggestion by ourselves, he said this "should not have

happened.". He said he would approach Lexus to get the replacement

part free and offered 15% off the fitting. I was unhappy with this.

From my perspective if something by Lexus' own admission "should not

have happened" then I should not have to pay for it. The service

manager said that was all he was in a position to offer so I contacted

the dealership manager.

3) The dealership manager agreed that the fault "should not have

happened". He "completely agreed" with me in regards to not having to

pay for fitting of the part. He said he would speak to Lexus directly

to resolve the issue. He came back to me stating that Lexus are unable

to offer free fitting, so I said I would take it would Lexus directly.

4) Following a number of discussions with your Customer Relations team

it was apparent that in effect, Lexus could not influence the repair

because that was undertaken by a franchise dealership. I was told by

your customer care manager that had I serviced and returned the car to

the Lexus dealer from where I had bought the car (Lexus Cambridge) as

opposed to where I have maintained my full service history (Lexus

Leeds) they may have well offered to repair the fault for free as they

would have had "more profit to play around with". This is precisely

where I would have expected Lexus UK to intervene and protect a

customer - rather than being passed from pillar to post, between 2

independent dealerships and yourselves. To my knowledge, Lexus (UK)

have not even contacted Lexus Cambridge.

I cannot help but feel a great deal of disappointment with Lexus (UK)

and the brand. I am left feeling that I have been misleadingly sold a

second hand car, from a disparate group of independent dealers, and

with little central support from Lexus when things go wrong. I

expected more from a £38,000 car purchased from a prestige car

manufacturer. I would have expected in all the circumstances, that

Lexus would have repaired the fault under warranty, and offered a

further short extension to the warranty to protect against any other

major faults that should not happen to car of this type and age.

I would value your detailed opinion on each of the matters raised,

Thank you in anticipation of your response.

Letter to Lexus 31st October 2008

Dear Mrs. Want

Lexus GB

Thank you for your letter dated 30th September [sic] 2008.

I need to take Advice on a number of issues and will respond more formally to a number of points that you raise.

I note that you are not able to "substantiate" the conversations that my wife (a Senior Sister, in person) and I (a doctor, by telephone) had with your former employee (Nigel) in regards to the hand brake cable. You will appreciate that we had never been aware of any problem with the cable until it made a loud noise on collecting the car from Lexus Bradford in July. By your own admission the paperwork in relation to that service episode was deficient. I further note that Nigel was described yesterday by the Bradford Service Manager as "incompetent". I should be grateful if you could outline what steps you have made to substantiate our version of events (which are both very clear in our minds) versus your employees. Furthermore I should be grateful if you could confirm the circumstances in which Nigel left the employment of Lexus Bradford.

It is disappointing that you will be unable to inspect the car and warrant the differential as being, without doubt, a new part. I need to take further advice on this. As is stands I am not prepared to drive a vehicle which may be fitted with a part recovered from a vehicle involved in a "serious accident".

Yours sincerely,

So in summary.... I am currently carless. I have no idea, what (if anything) was done to my car in July and what part was put in my car. I do not know if it is safe to drive. And I do not know if the new long list of faults all of the back of the car relate to the work on the differential, and/or should have been picked up when this work was done in July (when the car also had, I am told, a full 60 000 mile service).

Just to fill you in.... since Lexus GB refused to get involved in the cost of the installation of the faulty rear differential, I phoned around the local dealers and Bradford was found to be the cheapest. However Leeds refused to issue Bradford with the part they had apparently sent for my car. That also needed Lexus CR to get involved.

I despair with Lexus.

Got to agree with DJ Wozza it seems shocking.

If Lexus Cambridge have sold you a 'second hand car' maybe it would be worth your while speaking to them as well, its not unkown for a dealer to collect a car from the other end of the country.

I hope you get this resolved ASAP

Got to agree with DJ Wozza it seems shocking.

If Lexus Cambridge have sold you a 'second hand car' maybe it would be worth your while speaking to them as well, its not unkown for a dealer to collect a car from the other end of the country.

I hope you get this resolved ASAP

I suggested that Lexus GB contacted Cambridge back in December 2007. I felt given the problems they really needed to take ownership of the matter and liase between the dealers. If they allow them to use the brand name they really need to provide better back up and central leadership.

Well to be honest I struggled to follow your story as it's not chronological. I get the jist of it and you have 2 problems:

1). you believe you were sold a second hand car thinking it was new - what did the invoice say and what did the V5? If invoice says new and V% 2nd owner then you need Trading Standards / solicitor. If both say used then you probably haven't got a leg to stand on, especially after 4 years.

2). You have some problem with Leeds and Bradford and somewhere and sometime a problem with your differential and brakes. Not sure when these happened but Lexus GB are offering parts FOC and it's up to you to take this up with the dealer. If they have happened outside warranty then I suggest the offer is a good one ( so far ).

You do need somebody to tell you if the car is currently safe to drive, I would suggest an independent inspection to ascertain this ( R.A.C. / A.A. ) .

One suggestion - not to name people on this forum. I guess you are OK to name Lexus GB personnel but probably not the dearship staff.

Only my opinions ...................

I agree with Steve. I also had difficulty following the sequence of events but kinda got the idea. If you think you were mis-sold a second hand car as new and the purchase invoice clearly says 'NEW' then you're perfectly entitled to employ the services of a solicitor and take the matter up in court. I'm not sure how the length of time will affect anything though. Realising after a week or so is one thing, 3 or 4 years later is something else, but I don't know so look through your documentation. If the purchase invoice says 'USED' or anything to that effect, in theory you should have been aware of this at the time you purchased the car - any decent solicitor on their side would tear your case to shreads for not reading what you signed.

With regards to the repair, whilst you may not want to drive a car that has a part from a vehicle involved in a collision, Lexus must be sure the part is safe otherwise they would not fix it in your car. I'm only guessing but I wouldn't be suprised if many cars involved in collisions act as donor cars for replacement parts - why not? If the part is fine, it cuts down manufacturing costs and helps keep costs to the consumer down. They have agreed to do it free - that, in my opinion is a worthwhile offer- particularly at a cost of £2000 odd.

I would say whilst you may be concerned about driving a car with a part from a collision vehicle, you may be being unreasonable about refusing it completely. Lexus are offering you what is likely a fully useable part in a condition fit to put on a road car. Remember - as you'll know with your job, you would never put your name to a treatment you did not agree with or think was safe/appropriate. Well, I hope for your sake you wouldn't. The same is true, someone has to put their name to and take accountability and responsibility for saying a part is ok - they wouldn't do it if they had any doubt about the safety or usability of the part. If you flatly refuse what they've offered, then you risk them pulling out of any offer whatsoever and you landing with a £2000 bill.

I also concur that you leave your own full identity out but you name every representative in Lexus you dealt with. I don't think this is fair on the Lexus employees - they have a right to confidentiality too.

Whereas I have a degree of sympathy with the OP, I don't think that he has the ... right (for want of a better term) to feel as aggrieved as he does:

(*) New Car/Used Car Issue - I think what has happened here is that the OP was sold a pre-registered car, which technically is 'new' (as it has delivery only mileage only) but is not 'factory fresh new' - this is why it is vital to check (have sight) of the V5 - clearly if the 'new' car you want to buy has already a V5 then it is pre-reg. as a factory new wouldn't be registered :P I agree that it all comes down to what is written on the invoice and [legal] definition of what is 'new'.

(*) brake pads - The advice you were given is an opinion of that particular technician. Like an MOT - one Assessor may pass the same vehicle while another may fail. My concern would be not with the dealership that suggested you needed your brakes changing urgently, but rather with the one that said you had another 10K till they needed changing. In any event, your brakes were changed for a very good price.

(*) I think Lexus have done more than enough to placate the situation and the OP with their offer of supplying key parts 'free' and they have come back with substantive replies without delay.

Just my 2P worth...

Guest inicol63

For all it worth you seem to be treat very badly.

I would first contact Trading Standards and then contact a motoring solicitor for there opinion.

If there are think you have a good chance then i would sue them..

I do hope this matter can be sorted.

Ian

For all it worth you seem to be treat very badly.

If there are think you have a good chance then i would sue them..

Ian

I'm not so sure to be honest. I think Lexus have actually been unnecessarily generous in offering what they have given the circumstances.

If the car was missold and is clearly stated as a brand new car on the purchase invoice then yes, you have a right to court action, but with their repair offers, I think they're more than generous. I would consider the fact that you're not meeting them half way. I can understand your concerns, but I think they may be somewhat unsubstantiated.

Just my opinion from the information given and having had an insiders glimpse into dealing with complaints (albeit not motor vehicles).

Oh another thing, you say in your letter that you demand to know the reasons 'Nigel' left the employment - not your business I'm afraid. You almost are making it appear to be a personal attack to many people. You won't get anywhere like that.

Just to clarify.... According to Lexus CR, they claim to have already supplied a brand new and boxed rear differential to Leeds. Leeds were refusing to release this to Bradford, which required customer relations to step in once again. Bradford Lexus claim to have fitted a differential in July this year (though checking the paperwork, and despite paying some 500 labour for this, it has been omitted from the invoice).

Now this new problem (or rather, maybe not new at all, as I understand the CV joint will have been disturbed to change the diff) has arisen, there is now an allegation by Bradford that Leeds had provided them with "a second hand dif" recovered from a vehicle in a serious accident.

That allegation, combined with the lack of any mention of the dif or its fitting on the paperwork, leaves me extremely concerned what (if anything) has been fitted to the vehicle. They had simply made the cost of the 60,000 service up to the agreed total amount including the fitting of the dif.

Lexus CR had originally offered to send an area manager to inspect the part and tell me whether it was the new part they had supplied to Leeds, but they then came back and said they would have no way of telling.

In regards to making "personal attacks" I have done nothing of the sort. I have quoted verbatim what others have said but I been very restrained in making comments about the individuals who I have dealt with. Quite the opposite - I think it extremely unprofessional that one dealership told me the mechanic (who is unamed) at Bradford was sacked by them and "sold crisps out of a van" for a year before going to Bradford Lexus. Hardly what I needed to hear at a time when I didn't even know what had been fitted to my car.

If Lexus Bradford deny that the problem with the hand brake cables were both allegedly identified and rectified in July (but, like the differential, not documented) it may be highly relevant on the circumstances in which the employee concerned left their employment - when both my wife and I independently spoke to him and had a conversation about the same - if Lexus Bradford simply say it is our word against his. Lexus Bradford have made no attempt to contact the person involved.

In regards to making "personal attacks" I have done nothing of the sort. I have quoted verbatim what others have said but I been very restrained in making comments about the individuals who I have dealt with. Quite the opposite - I think it extremely unprofessional that one dealership told me the mechanic (who is unamed) at Bradford was sacked by them and "sold crisps out of a van" for a year before going to Bradford Lexus. Hardly what I needed to hear at a time when I didn't even know what had been fitted to my car.

That's not exactly what you'd want to hear when you took your car in I'll admit!!! Be like walking into your GP's only for the receptionist to tell you the doctor had just left a job as in ice cream man!!

Just to keep you updated....

I have spoken at length with the Dealer Principal at Lexus Bradford. It appears they have paperwork to show that a new differential was fitted. In an attempt to draw a line under that issue, I asked the Dealer Principal to provide me with a copy of that paperwork. He replied that "I'm not going to send you no documents. I'm not going to send you anything" "None of the documents are yours. And the right of having it is none. Nil". Not really very helpful, nor what you would expect from a premium marque.

I have therefore had no choice to involve trading standards again. Unfortunately for Lexus Bradford, West Yorkshire Trading Standards take a different view, and they have requested the documents from Lexus. If Lexus have the paperwork to put the second hand dif. allegation to bed, why they have not simply offered this is simply baffling.

To add insult to injury, moments after getting off the phone to Customer Relations, Lexus Bradford have also increased there formal written quotation from being 9 hours labour to do the remedial work, to 12 hours to include a 3 hours diagnostic charge. Lexus Bradford say this comes having to re-assemble the car after I refused to give authority to have it fixed. This of course arises from my refusal to go ahead ahead and approve the work when I had just been told a part had been reclaimed from a potential write-off vehicle, and that I wanted to speak with the dealer principal. I was told I had to make the decision there and then as they needed the ramp, and I refused stating I needed to discuss the issues with the principal.

Anyway, I am now off to pick up a hire car. If I don't get answers very soon, not only they get my hire car bill, I will strongly consider taking this to the press.

Response from Lexus CR October 31 2008

Dear

Thank you for your e mail of today's date.

I have noted your comments and would like to clarify why we are unable to substantiate conversations you have had with Centre staff. It is simply that we were not present and the Centre are therefore best placed to answer these queries for you.

With regard to your further comments, I feel I should explain that we are the company that distributes new Lexus vehicles within the U.K. The Centre network comprises of independent companies and we are not responsible for their finances, business decisions or their staff.

I note your intention to take further advice but would urge you to advise Lexus Bradford as soon as possible if you wish to accept our goodwill offer.

Yours sincerely

Gill Want

Lexus Customer Relations Manager

Letter to Lexus CR (cc Bradford dealership) 4th November 2008

Dear Ms. Want (Lexus Head Office)

c.c. Dennis Ager, Trading Standard Officer, West Yorkshire Trading Standards

Mr. Paul Fagan, Dealer Principal, Lexus Bradford (via email to Amanda Bradley)

Tuesday 4th November

Thank you for your email dated October 31st 2008. If you are not able to respond to any of the points I would be grateful if you could seek clarification from your authorized dealers.

I have spoken at length with the Dealer Principal at Bradford. He claims to have paperwork that supports that a new differential was fitted, contrary to the allegation made by his employee that a recovered second hand part may have been used, and contrary to the paper work that had been supplied to me after I had paid for the fitting of the differential (which makes no mention at all of the rear differential and instead falsely marked up the bill for the 60,000 service to include this amount.).

I asked Mr. Fagan for a copy of this paperwork so we can try and move forward on this point, and I was extremely disappointed to be told "I'm not going to send you no documents. I'm not going to send you anything" "None of the documents are yours. And the right of having it is none. Nil"

I have therefore re-raised this issue with West Yorkshire Trading Standards. The officer I have spoken with is quite clear that I have a right to the paperwork. It is Lexus Bradford that have made the allegation about a second hand part being supplied by Leeds, and the burden is now on Lexus GB and their dealerships to prove to me beyond any doubt whatsoever that I am not driving a potential deathtrap. Mr. Ager from Trading Standards is going to contact the Dealership directly. I would once again, urge Lexus GB to get involved to bring this to a swift resolution.

I have no choice now but to hire a car so that my wife and I can stay mobile. Lexus Bradford were yesterday meant to replace the rear discs and pads as had been agreed and provide a hire car, neither of which they did.

The way I have been treated by Lexus and your dealerships is staggeringly poor. If I do not receive a rapid resolution to these problems, not only will I be passing on the costs I have incurred whilst I am not on the road, I will have no hesitation but to expose this whole sorry saga fully in the press.

I re-iterate once again that I will not drive a car that may have been fitted with a part recovered from a vehicle involved in a serious accident.

Yours sincerely,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links