Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight Leveling Sensor

Hi,

I have just bought A IS200 Ona 04/04. The car is the best car I have ever had the pleasure to drive however I have one issue. I have a headlight leveling light on my dash, I have discoverd the front sensor is at fault as it is corroded. I have spoken to lexus and they want 300 pounds for a new sensor. Is there anyway I can get one cheaper or just get the light to go off my dash.

I would be very greatful of any help from anybody in the know.

Hi,

I have just bought A IS200 Ona 04/04. The car is the best car I have ever had the pleasure to drive however I have one issue. I have a headlight leveling light on my dash, I have discoverd the front sensor is at fault as it is corroded. I have spoken to lexus and they want 300 pounds for a new sensor. Is there anyway I can get one cheaper or just get the light to go off my dash.

Try taking it apart & cleaning it up. If its dead you can't make it any worse. Or try the breakers. You have to do something though because that is a MOT failure if your version has HID lights, and if you haven't got HIDs its still a failure if the lights are aimed too high :(

Hi,

Try taking it apart & cleaning it up. If its dead you can't make it any worse. Or try the breakers. You have to do something though because that is a MOT failure if your version has HID lights, and if you haven't got HIDs its still a failure if the lights are aimed too high :(

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have taken it apart and have found one of the 3 pins has snaped so really needs a new sensor just a case of finding one at sensible money. Does anyone know a good lexus braker???

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that the first part of that statement is correct. I had problems with the headlight levelling system on my previous car (with HIDs), they kept breaking. But the MoT seemed to only test the level of your headlamps.

If the broken headlight levelling system means your lights are pointing wrong and they can't be adjusted back, then yes, that will fail the MoT. But if they're pointing the right way then I don't think it matters MoT-wise if the levelling system is broken.

Hi,

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have taken it apart and have found one of the 3 pins has snaped so really needs a new sensor just a case of finding one at sensible money. Does anyone know a good lexus braker???

Find a mate with a soldering iron & make up a wire link/pin so that its joined in again and it may well work

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that the first part of that statement is correct. I had problems with the headlight levelling system on my previous car (with HIDs), they kept breaking. But the MoT seemed to only test the level of your headlamps.

If the broken headlight levelling system means your lights are pointing wrong and they can't be adjusted back, then yes, that will fail the MoT. But if they're pointing the right way then I don't think it matters MoT-wise if the levelling system is broken.

If you have HIDs, self-levelling is mandatory because of their higher brightness. It might pass MOT if the tester is asleep but not if the instrument panel has a dirty big warning.

If you have HIDs, self-levelling is mandatory because of their higher brightness. It might pass MOT if the tester is asleep but not if the instrument panel has a dirty big warning.

Are you sure you're not just referring to the fact that factory-fitted HIDs have to be self-levelling, as opposed to actually what gets tested in an MoT ?

For example, factory-fit HIDs also have to have headlamp washers, but I'm pretty sure that's not an MoT requirement.

Are you sure you're not just referring to the fact that factory-fitted HIDs have to be self-levelling, as opposed to actually what gets tested in an MoT ?

For example, factory-fit HIDs also have to have headlamp washers, but I'm pretty sure that's not an MoT requirement.

Hi,

I have checked with the guy who does my MOT and he days the only check the headlight level and if thats ok at the time of test then it wil pass. The warning light wont fasil it, the only warning light that would fail it would be ABS so im told anyway

• 5 months later...

I have an SC430 that had levelling sensor problems - now fixed for pennies - The sensors are on the front and rear nearside suspension. They can be removed with a 10 mm & 8 mm spanner. These sensors often get water in side which causes their failure. Rather than pay Lexus £300 to fix try this. Remove sensor ( try the front one first) take it onto a clean table. Unscrew the 4 cross head screws. Inside you will find a variable resistor. There are 3 wires going into this sensor. First with either a meter or bulb circuit tester check that each of the 3 plug contacts are conducting to one of the 3 springs ( see photo ) Often the sockets where the springs fit are rusty and sometimes the springs themselves are disintergrated by rust. Pull each spring out using fine nosed pliers and look at the condition of the gold plated contact at the bottom of each socket. If there is rust present use a small screwdriver to scratch away rust until shiny and bright. Clean each spring - replace any that look past it - Recheck each spring for electrical continuity. If all ok replace cover and 4 screws and refit to car. If you can not clean up then consider soldering a wire from the lead between the plug and the sensor and feeding it into the unit and soldering it to the dodgy spring. If you need help call me on 0161 707 3968.

post-3451-1239386131.jpg

post-3451-1239386142.jpg

post-3451-1239386159.jpg

post-3451-1239386173.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Rising the topic again :)

I have just fixed my front headlight leveling sensor so I just wanted to share this with you.

I took the rear sensor from Honda accord 2003-2007, they are the same as mine on IS200. Also you can find one from Toyota prius 2004-2005 or Mazda rx8. Just be careful because there are two different types, look the same from the outside but they are "mirrored" inside. I also replaced the main cause of leakage, the seal. For some reason they put the seal wrongly and that is the main cause of failure. I ordered new seals 10x21x7 with dust lip and put it as it should be (dust lip towards the ouside of the shaft). I also put some metal-free grease all around the seal.

Now it looks good and works great! Here are some pictures:

post-49685-0-83693000-1396532496_thumb.j

post-49685-0-34702300-1396532499_thumb.j

post-49685-0-26849100-1396532500_thumb.j

post-49685-0-45432200-1396532495_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I had the same problem with my RX350.  I stripped down the self levelling sensor as suggested by LexusLexus in the very good post above.  Unfortunately two of the springs were so corroded they fell apart and one of the pins had broken off the socket in the sensor.  Fortunately I managed to prise the broken pin out of the plug but the sensor is beyond repair.

As an alternative to the Toyota part complete with the linkage at about £220 from eBay I have ordered the sensor only (Dorman 924755 Headlight Sensor) via eBay from USA at $85.60 (about £70) inc priority delivery to UK which should do the trick.  In the meantime I will have to reset the HID lights as they don't drop after the initial "dance & turn"

Hello Everybody

I have the same issue. The mechanic only found one sensor on the back suspension , drivers side.

I have an RX300 LE Registered Jan 2006. I now have a bag of bits , broken off pin and all.

Thanks Katabrontes for your input. Could you let us know what happens when you fit it?

The alarm is on all the time. I had a new MOT end of September 2016 from the vendor of the vehicle and the

alarm may or may not have been showing, they say it wasn't. 

I look forward to hearing more. What does your eBay sensor include? the operating rod? presumably not.

Murphybear

The warning light on mine is on all the time since I removed the sensor.  I think I only have one on the rear offside.  I couldn't finds one on the front.  The sensor module comes bare with no linkage.  There was another thread about this a while ago and the link rod is available quite cheaply (about £5) from a mail order place but I can't remember which it was.  One piece of advice was that the ball joints tend to corrode so keeping them well greased will help to stop the link rob breaking.  I guess you might find the other parts of the linkage from a breaker .  I think the only option for the genuine part is the whole lot at about £200 which seems a lot extra for just a couple of pieces of pressed steel and a link rod.  The part is being delivered to me in UK next week and I will fit it when I get back from France and will let you know if it works.  It is said to be an improved version with better seals.  I hope it works.  The easiest way to fit and remove it (if you don't have access to a lift) is to remove the offside rear wheel and it is easy to access the bolts then.  Much harder to do ti by crawling under the exhaust but make sure you put a prop or some blocks of wood under the suspension before you crawl under.  Don't rely on the jack..

Hi All

Thanks Katabrontes

I have a bag of bits from my previous sensor and mounts. The link rod seems fine . The reason it stopped working was that 2 of the springs have crumbled and the other one is pristine .

I was going to ask you about setting up the new unit. Mine seemed to be set at about a quarter of the way round. If the socket was at 6 o'clock then the wiper was at 3 o'clock ( track side up).

Does anyone know the part number of the flying socket that connects to the sensor? And does this plug in to the Dorman sensor?

Murphybear

Having removed the rear sensor the HID dipped lights now stay fully up so I had to drop them down a bit temporarily.  The "steering" has stopped working as well.

We leave for UK tomorrow morning and the parts should be waiting for me when we arrive or very soon after.  I will simply replace the existing sensor with the new one so the alignment should be the same.  I will find out when I have done it and let you know (hopefully next week)

Hi Everyone

I spoke to Lexus Exeter today. The part number for the headlamp levelling sensor is 8940748030. The chap seemed to think 

this part only fitted RX300 vehicles. They don't sell the flying lead/socket as a separate part!!

So there you are. They can't help at all and they are not told .

I'll look forward to hearing from Katabrontes .

Murphybear

Hi Murphybear and all others interested in this problem.

The part arrived from USA a couple of days ago.  I could have saved about £10 if I had normal delivery but as we were only here for a week or so I needed to be sure it arrived before we left.

It took about an hour to fit but would have been much less if I had prepared the old parts a bit better when I had the workshop available (don't have on in UK at the moment).  The sensor only fits on one way as the hole in the lever has one end square and the other rounded to match the spindle on the sensor.  I needed to clean off a fair bit of rust from the hole in the lever arm before it fitted well.  The other problem was removing the three securing screws which fix the sensor to the frame.  One was very tight and I damaged the Phillips slots doing this so I had to resort to a Mole wrench which, just, got it out.  Happily the threads on the four screws which hold the back plate on the sensor are the same so I used one of those to replace it.  Worth dosing the thee securing screws with penetrating oil when you are removing the assembly.  Be sure to use plenty of oil before you try to remove the securing bolts as they will be well rusted and may shear if you don't.  The bolt on the end of the ball joint on the axle needs a small spanner to hold the nut on the back while you ease off the nut that holds it to the axle bracket.  The one in the Lexus tool kit is just right.  I packed a fair bit of Vaseline into the connector (yes it does fit the US part) but had to take a bit out afterwards as the plug wouldn't lock in as the sealing gasket jammed on the extra grease.  I had to take the sensor bracket off again to sort this out so it would be better to fit the connector before you bolt the bracket back onto the chassis (the one with two bolts).

Now to testing.    The AFS light was out and the HID lights did their dance and turn but didn't drop down at the end as they used to with the old sensor.  Having seen the state of it when I stripped it and noting that one pin was broken off the connector socket I guess it was behaving in default "fully up" position so the lights dropped down.  Now they drop and move out and in but stay at the "up" position.  As the warning light is not on I guess this is OK.  Not having had a working sensor before I don't know what the "normal" would be but others may help on this.

All in all OK and cost could be as low as £50 for a new sensor.  If the tie rod with the ball-joints need replacing add another £10 or so.  I think a new bracket could be made very easily with some sheet metal and tin snips or could be fabricated quite cheaply by a steel fabricator.  Certainly well below the cost for the original part.  Taking into account Lexus service charges I guess they would have charged about £500 for this.  Pity the part isn't available from a UK source at a reasonable cost.  Surprising really as it seems to be a part common to several Honda models as well as Toyota and Lexus.  Several do sell them on eBay but they all come from USA.

Good luck with yours.

Follow up after I drove the car.

1. The headlights track on turns as they should.

2. After driving the car the next time I started the full "dance and turn" was as it used to be with the lights dropping at the end as before.  I guess the sensor just needed to move a bit with the suspension before it settled down.

Everything seems to be OK now except I need to lift the lights up a bit as now they drop on start up they are a bit too low.