Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice On Buying A 98 Ls400

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a 98 mk4 ls400. Could anyone give me an idea on whether there are 2 types of suffolk leather? I have seen 2 seemigly different ones- one is almost yellow and the other is a creamy/brown colour. Also, where can I get the cheapest and best insurance? What are the best products for polishing the exterior and keeping the leather good? Finally, what should I look out for when purchasing?

Thanks!

Shaffiq

Don't know about the leather.

The best insurance deal I could find was from Privilege. I have over a dozen years NCB.

Never had to polish mine. I just wash and wax. I've just tried Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection and it is very good. All the minor scratches disappear and you get an as new mirror like finish (at least on my car you do).

I've tried TurtleWax alloy cleaner kit and it's useless. Soap and water were better at getting grime off the inside of the wheels.

Look out for badly pitted alloys. I can't think of anything which has gone wrong with mine so can't advise further.

Oh! Check options packs, such as air-suspension, Nakamichi hi-fi, sat-nav and ensure you have tool kit in the boot on RHS, wheel chock and jack under the boot liner. Check for CDs that come with the car probably in the glove box.

Mine's got Suffolk Leather and I'd call it creamy/brown. To clean it just leather soap and warm water and then Autoglym leather conditioner.

I wax and wax mine once a year (or there abouts) using Autoglym and the gloss finish then otherwise it's a car wash. Wheels are like all Lexus ones - pretty poor.

I changed to Lexus insurance scheme through Gold membership this year.

Enjoy

Guys,

thanks very much for the advice! I'm just waiting for delivery now as the garage told me they noticed a fault with the cd player which they are rectifying. Should be taking ownership by the end of next week. I'll ask them what they use and recommend re cleaning and valeting. Was told by another dealer that MER is a good product.

I have plumped for Admiral insurance- they gave me the best deal.

I checked the car- there is a tool kit and a brand new spare and jack. Will check the cds- what usually comes with them? I thought the stereo was Nakamichi as standard???

Shaffiq

Shaffiq,

I was thinking of MER but after reading one or two comments decided against as it is somewhat abrasive. Can only be used twice a year or so. Ive opted for the Maguiars. ....but havent applied it yet so cant advise. Either way....enjoy the car. They are something else....!!!)havent worked out what else yet but I'm working on that one)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links