Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ignition Won't Turn

lahn

Ok, here's a unique problem.

Got home and parked in the middle of the driveway. Ran in the house to grab stuff and leave again, can't start the car. Its not that the car won't turn over, I cannot physically turn the key in the ignition. I tried to relieve pressure on the key by turning the wheel (which was not locked) and that did no good.

Any ideas?

2002 IS300 Sportcross.

Thanks,

lahn

my girlfriend had a landrover discovery with similar problem, fixed by spraying lots of wd40 into it (use the straw provided to get right into it,should go in half an inch) and leave it to work/take effect for 24 hours, probably needs new ignition barrel as likely to keep happening as wd40 will wear off

yep your ignition barrel is stuffed - get a new one made by the dealer for about £80 but its a 2 week wait. if they say its not possible ask them to double check as i have had it done before.

look in the workshop section also as i made a few posts about the lock barrel and u can change it yourself in about 30 mins.

Had te same problem with a Nissan Auto - the safety device that stops you taking the key out unless you have the gearbox in Park fails - it's a solenoid on the side of the ignition barrell. The fix was to get at it and hold it open so that you can remove the key whatever position the shift lever is in. I held it open with an elastic band - nice low tech fix to a high tech problem.

Good luck

jack

• 3 weeks later...

Well, let me follow up with was found. The ignition would not turn in the cylinder. Had it towed to my mechanic who was unable to get it to rotate (though he broke my key trying). Ended up needing to cut the ignition out in order to remove the faulty cylinder. So I got to buy a new bracket (contains the cylinder), cylinder, and tamper resistant bolts. With labor (replacement and recoding) it cost just under $800. BTW, this was not a lexus dealer. Ouch!! :tomato:

some gentle tapping and lubrication always frees up the cylinder, if he broke the key trying to turn the cylinder i would immediatly take the car away from that idiot.

Look like he cost you some serious money due to his incompetence