Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Motorway Driving Tips?

japthree

I can understand the argument of having the same overtaking laws as in the US but the problem you would have is that the majority of drivers in the UK are only used to having people pass them on their right hand side. A majority of people find it "difficult" enough to check their right mirror before moving out, let alone having to check a left one for sombody overtaking on their left.

The other problem we have is that there are millions of motorists in the UK and a vast majority of them think they are experts in the field of driving and so are unwilling to learn or to improve their driving skills. It's every man for themselves out there sometimes and it needn't be like that.

Simple ruels, lane one is your driving lane and lane's two and three are overtaking lanes. Even at 70mph people would still be passing each other because you don't need a calibrated speedomotre in the UK so people with new tyres will be going slightly faster than those with worn tyres.

ISimple ruels, lane one is your driving lane and lane's two and three are overtaking lanes. Even at 70mph people would still be passing each other because you don't need a calibrated speedomotre in the UK so people with new tyres will be going slightly faster than those with worn tyres.

Thanks for your replies and advice.

In theory, then if everyone stuck to lane one being your driving and lane two is your overtaking lane AND people who moved into lane 2 to overtake immediate moved back into lane one when it was safe to do so .. then there should not be anyone in lane three except when getting into a particular lane for an exit, etc.

BUT suppose you overtake a HGV in lane one at 60 mph and then are approaching Grandma driving in lane one in her IS-F at 65 mph you would STAY in lane two until you pass her - this is better driving then weaving in and out of lanes? Anticipation, forward planning ... Just checking!!!

dave1:

As for knowing if I drive at 70 - I'm just going at 70 according to the IS' speedo but manufacturers calibrate the speedo higher than the actual speed? My TomTom records a speed of 64 when I going at 70.

• 2 weeks later...

The other week I nearly got squashed on joining the motorway. I was joining in the right hand slip road and got on the motorway with a car to my immediate right in lane 2 and one ahead of me in my lane 1.

The thing was that I was on the motorway for a few seconds and then I was right at the junction of end of the left hand slip road and lane 1 of the motorway and a car was joining in that left hand slip road and literally was RUNNING OUT of slip road... and had to give way... but I was pooing my pants as I couldn't change lane as I was blocked and couldn't accelerate as such as a car was in front (as already described above) and thinking the joining car was going to crash into me!

What do you say - bad luck on my part or what?

The other week I nearly got squashed on joining the motorway. I was joining in the right hand slip road and got on the motorway with a car to my immediate right in lane 2 and one ahead of me in my lane 1.

The thing was that I was on the motorway for a few seconds and then I was right at the junction of end of the left hand slip road and lane 1 of the motorway and a car was joining in that left hand slip road and literally was RUNNING OUT of slip road... and had to give way... but I was pooing my pants as I couldn't change lane as I was blocked and couldn't accelerate as such as a car was in front (as already described above) and thinking the joining car was going to crash into me!

What do you say - bad luck on my part or what?

Surely you saw the car on the sliproad in front of you? All that is needed is to adjust your speed to either give way or slow slightly until the car in lane 2 is clear of you and then pull into lane 2 to allow the car in the left sliproad lane into lane 1. Alternatively you could have stayed behind the other car on the sliproad and followed him onto the motorway. Not trying to be rude, but you do appear very inexperienced regarding motorway driving/safety. It may pay to take a motorway driving course for your safety and the safety of others.

I think many of these posts are very helpful and gives very good advice to not cause accidents/roadrage on motorway (no-one wants that).

I think the best advice to give after reading some of these is that, everyone on the road is getting from a-b safely. Some may want to do it quick some may want to do it at their own pace. regardless of what speed your doing its best to be curtious and aware of other cars. It does not matter whos right or whos wrong, he cut me up blah blah blah.. at the end of the day, if anyone has an accident its bad for everyone, your family, yourself, other people on the road.

Keep left if not overtaking(or at least keep left if someone is overtaking you),

Be aware of your blind spots,

Give people and yourself space to overtake/react to what you or other people are doing,

Swift movements are generally unwanted,

LOOK ahead and pre-plan your exit stratagy if needed.

Just use common sense on the road as always, like Jeremy Clarkson said on Top Gear, i really dont understand how people use their brakes so frequenly on the motorway?? why??? Unless theres traffic you keep your distance you know when they're slowing down etc..!

Your on a road which has 3+ lanes.. your travelling in a relitively straight line as is everyone else.. its not hard to be curtious, its not hard to look ahead...

I remember a great saying that my instructor told me once i passed my test (1st time :P), before you pass your test you obay the laws to the nth degree, once you pass your test you avoid people idiot drivers on the road to the nth degree (and keep safe obviously). :)

HTH

• 1 year later...
3 questions on motorway driving (ADIs / driving experts / anyone who can drive please reply if you can help!):

1.is it better to join the motorway in the right-hand lane of a slip road so you can see the cars on the motorway quicker and they can see you? You have a better "view" or "zone of vision"?

Any tips on safe joining btw? It's the thing I dislike the most about motorways!

2.Is it good practice that when you are in lane 1 (lane next to the hard shoulder) and passing or just before passing a motorway exit to change to lane 2 so that you won't have to change lanes if you were in lane 1 because a car might be / will be soon joining the motorway via a slip road?

3.When changing from lane 1 to lane 2 - is it important as well as checking for any cars in lane 2 (via your mirrors and blind spot) to check for any potential cars in lane 3 whom might be zooming from behind ready to change to lane 2 and CRASH!

Similarly if you are in lane 3 and changing to lane 2 then you should check in lane 1 as well as the obvious lane 2? I personally tend to forget to check the other lane when changing lanes :-(

I have DSA's Driving the Essential Skills and Roadcraft if you want to refer to particular pages / text. Quote me the page and I'll check it up. Cheers!

You should try joining the motorway from the left, yes from the left, fast lane, as you have to in Stockport :o

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links