Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ebay Tips To Keep You Safe And Sell Your Items

Saraj

• 2 years later...

Been wanting to sell stuff on ebay for along time but I've been abit a apprehensive of it, so thanks for the advice it will help me alot!

Be very careful with eBay, it's full of scammers and counterfiet goods. If you do decide to sell on there don't allow people to pay with paypal and then collect and send everything fully tracked. Avoid selling outside the UK.

I see you are from Derbyshire, did you go to the Lexus Open Road at Staunton Harold Hall last weekend?

Hey thanks for the advice ( especially the avoid selling outside the uk) I will make sure I'm careful if I decide to sell on there. Yes I am from Derbyshire, but I didn't go to the Lexus Open Road at Staunton Harold Hall, didn't know it was happening to be honest which may be due to the fact that I was on holiday then for two weeks! B)

• 2 years later...

only new to the forums but been on eBay for years, i have sold and bought alsorts including some cars

and have sold all over the world

the trouble with eBay is it is buyer friendly, as a seller if an item does not arrive, even with proof of postage, unless it is a signed for item recieved by the buyer, ebay/paypal will refund the buyer and the seller has to claim for loss of the item

as for offering differnt methods of postage, if you offer first class with only £32 cover on a £150 item and it does not arrive, you as the seller will be out of pocket as again the buyer will recieve a refund via ebay/paypal

royal mail is a very expensive postage option as a seller, use parcels to go, it can be linked to you eBay account and paid by paypal, and you have the option to drop parcels off or have them collected plus adding the insurance is a much easier option on each and every item

min cost to send a small packet is now £5.20 or something where as on parcel to go you can and will half that in most cases

i have had all these scenarios happen to me so speak from experience, you will always have to refund as a seller unless you have proof the buyer recieved the item, the same as if it is faulty

aslo the latest issue is sending items to russia etc, they will pay by paypal, you post recorded/signed for, they recieve it but no signiture is requested or recorded and after about 40 days they start a item not recieved with paypal, and and as you have no way of proving delivery they get a refund from paypal , the only way around this is fedex and other international well know couriers but there prices are astronomical

also beware of any high value purchase from china, honk kong or korea, they all use fedex now who will regardless charge you 20% tax as the item hits UK, they pay this on your behalf, delivery you the item and then you get an invoice for the tax and £10 handling fee about 2 weeks later

hope this is of help

• 6 years later...

Hi, It is worth advising that Parcelforce exclude "Automotive vehicle parts and body work for example but not limited to doors, bumpers, headlights and other large body parts or panels" for compensation for loss or damage, on all their services.  

My experience, finding this out the hard way, selling a car tail light on eBay and shipping it via Parcelforce 48 from my local post office.  For this service "...delivery time is guaranteed. If your parcel doesn’t arrive by the stated time, we’ll refund 25% of the delivery cost and we also cover you against loss or damage up to £100."  When asked by the post office, I told them what was being sent.  As an agent for Parcelforce services, it is unfortunate for me, they were not aware of the 'Automotive parts' exclusion.  Parcelforces' claims team later said their "...advertised conditions of carriage hold a full list of exclusions which the sender should familiarise themselves with prior to using our services."  It did take them nearly 3 months to realise my item was excluded, and point this out to me.  In the mean time, the unfortunate buyer and I had wasted lots of time with correspondence, filling forms out and providing evidence of the damage.

Lesson learnt.  I am out of pocket for the initial and return shipping.  I do, however, now have the broken, virtually worthless, tail light back.

• 6 months later...

Apart from the odd scammer/buyer I would also warn you about E-bay themselves. Just recently I sold a large guitar collection some of them were advertised on e-bay. I sold a couple to scammers and as soon as I learned pulled out of the sale. E-bay sent me an invoice for £500 for the sale of two guitars, I very quickly contacted my e-bay concierge ( I'll say no more on that) who assured me the invoice was voided. Well and behold come the end of the month they took £500 from my bank account. I was incandescent when I called them and how I didn't shout a stream of profanities at them is a lesson on my part of self control.

Anyway 3 weeks later they give me my £500 back and a £50 voucher for goodwill.

I'm not going to ever sell anything on e-bay again, as they now take money straight out of your account