Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 250 Stolen

Ok my is250 was just stolen yesterday I have both of my keys no broken glass how can this happen I thought that part of the security safety system was if the pod isn't in the car it would shutoff? Is this not true? To top this off the police was on a high speed chase and recovered the car but the freakin car thief got away:( how can this happen if I have both of the original pods.

If the fob signal can be detected by the car then you can enter the car and drive it away as far as you want ! The book says the fob needs to be within 2-3 feet but I know on occasions that my car can be as much as 20 feet away to enter the car strange things radio waves, you would think that the system would shut down when the fob was more than 50 feet away, seems daft to me to allow the car to be driven without the fob being in the car especially since it nags you to put your belt on , agree to the nav screen etc, should it not warn you the fob is not present ? A lady came to my works the other day, unloaded her car when she went to drive away the car would not start ! She had left the fob in her house and after slagging the car for a good 10mins she had to get a cab home to retrieve the fob , so be warned people you can drive the car away without the fob in your possession ........

Allan

If the fob signal can be detected by the car then you can enter the car and drive it away as far as you want ! The book says the fob needs to be within 2-3 feet but I know on occasions that my car can be as much as 20 feet away to enter the car strange things radio waves, you would think that the system would shut down when the fob was more than 50 feet away, seems daft to me to allow the car to be driven without the fob being in the car especially since it nags you to put your belt on , agree to the nav screen etc, should it not warn you the fob is not present ? A lady came to my works the other day, unloaded her car when she went to drive away the car would not start ! She had left the fob in her house and after slagging the car for a good 10mins she had to get a cab home to retrieve the fob , so be warned people you can drive the car away without the fob in your possession ........

Allan

Thanks Allan

Regarding the fob ( with a MY 2010). If I'm more than 3' from the door handle then the door can't be opened. My wife can't open the front door if I'm stood at the boot loading in the shopping.

Once the car is started if the fob moves more than 3' from the car then you get and audible and visual alarm warning....which subsides when you return within 3' again.

Never, so far, come across a situation yet where the car has been opened whilst 20' away. That is a puzzle!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with Normski. I've just been and tested my IS250 also. Stood by the boot, or even the rear doors, the front doors will not unlock. I have to be within a good 2-3' in line with them, if not closer, for them to open. And the car won't start unless the key is somewhere in the cabin. She hates it when I step out of the car with the key in my pocket to help someone out or to get stuff from the boot. The internal bleep has a field day!

Of course I imagine some keys may be more liberal than others but anything over 5' seems really excessive?!

I'm not saying it's the norm' but it can happen, when it happened to me I had just replaced the fob batteries and was in site of the car and about 6 ft above the roof line, I noticed the puddle lights came on when I opened my front door so I asked my better half to try the door and sure enough it opened , had me worried at the time but I think it was a mixture of circumstances, I still think it's a bit daft that you can drive the car away without the fob, you can't do that with a Nissan micra it cuts out the engine if the fob is more than a couple of metres away......

Allan

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links