Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Still Undecided On Lexus Replacement

Switching from my 250 Sport to an A5 2.0 TFSI S Line - March delivery - I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the test drive - however, like me, you will have to get used to some features which you may presently take for granted in the IS - speccing an A5 to the same standard will be very expensive

You are the first person i have come across doing the swap from IS to A5 (although you are petrol to petrol)

So are there any particular features you will miss or wish you had ordered? The main ones I am pondering (thouhg unikley to purchase) is whether to have the high end parking system with camera or stick with the 'parking plus' and secondly whether to stick with standard Bluetooth or the 'advanced' - though i'm not clear what extra's i get here.

Aside from sport/parking/bluetooth/metalic/heated/sat-nav am i missing any good options? I quite fancy the xenon/daylight but they are £1000 so not sure.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't researched it but if you spec up a BMW or AUDI to match Lexus type spec, do you get back the extra cost when you sell, minus the car level depreciation of course. I some how doubt it. I just don't see your average car salesman doing the calculation in the first place - could be quite messy and then offering you more for the "extras".

If I'm wrong then let me know.

my car was with the dealer having it's service wnen the dealer told me of the recall,i then passed on the information to fellow posters on the forum.i am not aware of any members of the loc that have reported structural cracks in alloys.it is strange that you would take a stance in favour of corporate bmw instead of beleiving your fellow bmw posters when some have had their wheels tested by mira.perhaps you have also missed the recent post's that i have quoted from bmw forums ,where members have expressed their disappointment with the fuel economy of the 320d although i doubt that.for sometime now you have taken every opportunity too discredit the 220d particularly in respect of economy yet the threads that i quote show that there are plenty of bmw owners that have poor fuel economy experiences.where as you would have us beleive that all bmw cars are the holy grail economy and judging by your piers they are NOT.

Calm down dgman, it's only a forum.

You are having a fantastic, almost orgasmic experience with your 220D and like passing details of your owning experiences on to members of the forum. Jamboo on the other hand was not as fortunate and bearing in mind the agonies he went through (speaking as a neutral) I think has been quite subjective.

I haven't researched it but if you spec up a BMW or AUDI to match Lexus type spec, do you get back the extra cost when you sell, minus the car level depreciation of course. I some how doubt it. I just don't see your average car salesman doing the calculation in the first place - could be quite messy and then offering you more for the "extras".

Depreciation is worked out on the basic list price only - extras add a small amount - e.g. MM adds £750 to the used price of a IS...

Well the simple fact is that NO ONE would really ever spec up a car to the level a Lexus is if they had to pay for the bits - you have to admit that several of the extra's are bling - and to be honest it's one the reasons I bought a Lexus - I was positively wowed by the fanned seats etc for a simple price.

So it's not realistic to ask enyone to spec up a car to that level - 'cos not many people would...

Then there is the "alternative" view - a Mondeo Titanium X gives you almost as much kit, as does a Honda Accord. Dare I say it - even the new Avensis TSpirit is close - so it's not necessarily about extras - which is why in a road test by the journo's these things are ignored.

It makes the Lexus fab Value - no one will deny it - but those "alternative" cars are even better value!!

Depreciation is worked out on the basic list price only - extras add a small amount - e.g. MM adds £750 to the used price of a IS...

Well the simple fact is that NO ONE would really ever spec up a car to the level a Lexus is if they had to pay for the bits - you have to admit that several of the extra's are bling - and to be honest it's one the reasons I bought a Lexus - I was positively wowed by the fanned seats etc for a simple price.

So it's not realistic to ask enyone to spec up a car to that level - 'cos not many people would...

Then there is the "alternative" view - a Mondeo Titanium X gives you almost as much kit, as does a Honda Accord. Dare I say it - even the new Avensis TSpirit is close - so it's not necessarily about extras - which is why in a road test by the journo's these things are ignored.

It makes the Lexus fab Value - no one will deny it - but those "alternative" cars are even better value!!

so the logical conclusion is for haf too buy the skoda instead of the audi as it is essentially the same vehicle ,i can't see him going for that idea. :lol::lol::lol:

so the logical conclusion is for haf too buy the skoda instead of the audi as it is essentially the same vehicle ,i can't see him going for that idea. :lol::lol::lol:

That's a good one dgman, you and logical conclusions. No wonder you're laughing.

I agree that very few people would ever spec up a car to Lexus levels because of cost or just not feasible. I was thinking of those popular "extras" that people have got used to over many years that BMW/AUDI want extra money for. I 2006 I was thinking of a BMW 325i SE and even with considerable retraint needed £2K extra to bring it up. A few years ago someone told me that there is no such thing as a standard spec BMW, and even if there was you wouldn't get the expected trade in because they would be difficult to shift.

I agree that very few people would ever spec up a car to Lexus levels because of cost or just not feasible. I was thinking of those popular "extras" that people have got used to over many years that BMW/AUDI want extra money for. I 2006 I was thinking of a BMW 325i SE and even with considerable retraint needed £2K extra to bring it up. A few years ago someone told me that there is no such thing as a standard spec BMW, and even if there was you wouldn't get the expected trade in because they would be difficult to shift.

Absolutely right - things like leather and satnav, may be a decent sound system and CD changer can alone add £4k to the list price. At resale time, it's worth a fraction of it and like you say makes it easier to shift - so if it's your own cash and you want a car with a badge, a Lexus makes more sense as a new car, or a german one with no options (!). If it's a German car, you really ought to consider a nearly new one, a demo with basic options etc...

Either way, with the Credit crunch on, those with Company cars and PCP's are probably the winners...where they have a guaranteed future value.

PS - Haf - whatever you do, you're safe in the knowledge that you don't have the depreciation factor to worry about - best situation to be in...

Why can they not get you a loaner A5 until March??

The whole are of Options is an interesting one and what attracted me the the lexus last time around was that the SE with MM gave you loads of options/gadgets which were great to demo to people but not all were of regular use (to me anyway). Interestingly the 2 main ones not inc but useful to have were front parking sensors and auto wipers.

So after 3 years, I have not yet used the seats in cooling mode, the voice activation, the dvd player or taken any advantage of the mark levinson sound system (radio only for me). On the other hand the sat-nav/bluetooth/heated-seats/rear-camera have been used lots so are almost a 'must-have' on my next car.

I guess I'm saying that rather than spec the audi (or whatever) to lexus levels, its a better comparison to spec to the features you actually want. If i recall correctly the MM option on lexus was about £3k and I can get the options i need for a similar amount on the A5 though strictly speaking its not a like-for-like comparison

On another note Audi have just offered me a 3.0D tiptronic for a 3 day test when i asked for a 2.0D manual. The 2.0D actually ships in march so maybe there are none in the dealerships yet?

I've also asked for a A4 2.0D S-Line multitironic just to see what thats like as various folks have been raving about them here.

Lucky for me i have no worries about the value of the car after 3 years as i just hand it back to the lease company. Although I do get first-refusal on buying it should I wish to.. allegedly at a fair price but not convinced about that.

Oddly enough, I have a 250SE this week as a loan car whilst my SE-L is in for some pre-warranty expiry bits. Whilst the SE is very well specced, it isn't quite as silly as my fully specced SEL!

I now realise I couldn't do without...

-Rain sensing wipers

-park distance control

-bluetooth

And I quite miss...

- the heated screen round the edge bit as the wipers kept freezing yesterday

- adaptive cruise

- autodimming mirrors

- Reversing camera (great for reversing out of the drive whilst the car is defrosting, wish they fitted one to the front!)

And surprisingly I didn't miss...

- adaptive Xenons

- Big stereo- but then the standard one is excellent

- satnav, but then I knew where I was going

- voice control

- sunroof, in fact there was less wind noise without

And surprisingly I missed...

- the LED Lexus logo

- the wood trim

Oddly enough, I have a 250SE this week as a loan car whilst my SE-L is in for some pre-warranty expiry bits. Whilst the SE is very well specced, it isn't quite as silly as my fully specced SEL!

-Rain sensing wipers

-park distance control

-bluetooth

And I quite miss...

- adaptive cruise

- autodimming mirrors

- Reversing camera (great for reversing out of the drive whilst the car is defrosting, wish they fitted one to the front!)

- adaptive Xenons

- voice control

- the LED Lexus logo

- the wood trim

That is fascinating!

I do recall though the pre facelift SE did have the wiper warmers - was it the "new" SE?

As far as the Audi is concerned Haf, the 3.0TDi 6 Cyl is a different animal to the 2.0TDi 4 Cyl Audi engine - try it though - you won't stop smiling!! It flies like the proverbial and is a good lesson in what a powerful diesel Auto feels like! The torque is very good, and the range in which you see the power is nicely spread...as a result the 2 cars may feel quite different...

It won't be terribly economical though - I drove the A4 (old model) with the 3.0l diesel, and it was hovering around 24mpg after a quick test drive blast... don't know if the A5 one is the newer beastie...there is a more economical one now in the A6 (better CO2 too).

I would go for the Audi Nav and the reversing camera (believe me - sensors do not make up for a picture), but basic Bluetooth (which should give you almost Lexus like functionality)...

You won't need Bose, but if (like me) you listen to a lot of radio 5 live, then DAB is advisable...it makes the most of the multiple speaker system in the Audi...but it's £300 odd!! The music interface might be an option too....

PS - forgot to mntion - I tested the 2.7 S Line ear;ier this year - it had the Sat nav. I seem to recall that whilst it's not touch screen the Sat nav was good. The seats, suspension and build Quality are all very good (though on or 2 of the switches had too much lateral movement - such as the stereo on-off button etc) - I somehow think you're gonna be in a big dilemma once you drive that 3.0tdi.

Take them up on it....

Sorry- don't know why its duplicated my post- can Mods delete it?

Oddly enough, I have a 250SE this week as a loan car whilst my SE-L is in for some pre-warranty expiry bits. Whilst the SE is very well specced, it isn't quite as silly as my fully specced SE-L!

-Rain sensing wipers

-park distance control

-bluetooth

And I quite miss...

- adaptive cruise

- autodimming mirrors

- adaptive Xenons

- voice control

- the LED Lexus logo

- the wood trim

But you shouldn't be reversing out of the drive onto the road, and the car windows should all be defrosted before driving!

All this talk tempted me to to go down to my local audi dealer over lunchtime (stratford-upon-avon) and by chance they had almost the exact spec i wanted in the showroom (thought 2.7D not 2.0D) so I got a chance to have a good look around.

All i can say is 'wow' and I am wasting my time looking at 5series and A4 as this car is just stunning.

It was a Sport trim in dark grey with black interior and had sat-nav, heated seats, etc so really gave me a good view of what i'm ordering. Initially i though it had a S-Line bodykit as it looked so good but turns out it was just the standard model.

I was thinking about the dark blue but the grey looked great as well.

The rep said that the 2.0D's were due imminently so a test drive should be available in next couple of weeks so fingers crossed.

I was also surprised that the rear seating was pretty spacious as long as the front seats aren't pushed all the way back and the boot space was massive.

All this talk tempted me to to go down to my local audi dealer over lunchtime (stratford-upon-avon) and by chance they had almost the exact spec i wanted in the showroom (thought 2.7D not 2.0D) so I got a chance to have a good look around.

All i can say is 'wow' and I am wasting my time looking at 5series and A4 as this car is just stunning.

It was a Sport trim in dark grey with black interior and had sat-nav, heated seats, etc so really gave me a good view of what i'm ordering. Initially i though it had a S-Line bodykit as it looked so good but turns out it was just the standard model.

I was thinking about the dark blue but the grey looked great as well.

The rep said that the 2.0D's were due imminently so a test drive should be available in next couple of weeks so fingers crossed.

I was also surprised that the rear seating was pretty spacious as long as the front seats aren't pushed all the way back and the boot space was massive.

Just wait till you've driven it... B)

Seriously - you'll get a good feel and you'll know that the decision you mak is the right one. It's very different to a 5er, but very competent and well made overall.

The 2.0tdi (I think it's like the 2.0TFSi) has the Variable Vane Turbo system, which means very littl lag - the turbo vanes automatically adjust to give just the right amount of ooooomph whatever the engine load and speed and it works...it makes for a good spread of power and torque.

Well, I have done the deed and ordered an A5 this afternoon via our leasing company

A5 2.0TDI 170 Sport

Deep Sea Blue

Sat Nav

Advanced Parking System

Heated Seats

Auto Hill Start

Auto Dimming Mirror (inc auto wipers/headlights)

Bluetooth Low

Cruise Control

Cost : £31600

The only option i debated was the 'comfort access key' but decided to miss it in favour of the advanced parking.

Audi are offering a free upgrade from 2.0TDi to the Sport model and also including Bluetooth and cruise control. This gave a reduced list price, reduced lease rate and lower tax bill so meant i could add a few extra options.

Also Audi have a price increase coming in on 23rd Feb so hopefully I have avoided that (though not sure yet)

Another bonus may be that Audi website is now saying the CO2 emissions are 139 versus the 140 it said in Jan so thats 1% off my tax bill

Only down side is that my current lease doesn't expire until 1st week of May so thats the earliest I can have the A5.

Thanks for all the advice and I have to say that I got better input from you guys than the Audi forums.

Nice one, that is going to be one good looking car :)

I've seen a couple today and they really do look fantastic!

I'm glad all the manufacturers are starting to make more good looking cars instead of that bland period we went through for a while where they all looked the same :)

Fabulous choice mate - It's a good spec you've gone for - I doubt you'll be wanting for anything!!! It's not the S-Line though is it? You'v gone for the free "port" upgrade which is excellent value.

I'd have an A5 over the A4 any day...I was one of those people that wanted to get the A4 but was disappointed by it, the A5 felt and looked much better but I couldn't convince her indoors that we could live with 2 doors...

Normally Audi quote 12-14 weeks for a new car (or at least they did to me every time I enquired). So early May delivery = an order this week...they should be sitting twiddling their spanners with this credit lunch so you might be OK with the pricing and impact thereof...at least you can quote it to the lease company if they try and charge you the higher amounts.

Bet you cannot wait...

Well, I have done the deed and ordered an A5 this afternoon via our leasing company

A5 2.0TDI 170 Sport

Deep Sea Blue

Sat Nav

Advanced Parking System

Heated Seats

Auto Hill Start

Auto Dimming Mirror (inc auto wipers/headlights)

Bluetooth Low

Cruise Control

Cost : £31600

The only option i debated was the 'comfort access key' but decided to miss it in favour of the advanced parking.

Audi are offering a free upgrade from 2.0TDi to the Sport model and also including bluetooth and cruise control. This gave a reduced list price, reduced lease rate and lower tax bill so meant i could add a few extra options.

Also Audi have a price increase coming in on 23rd Feb so hopefully I have avoided that (though not sure yet)

Another bonus may be that Audi website is now saying the CO2 emissions are 139 versus the 140 it said in Jan so thats 1% off my tax bill

Only down side is that my current lease doesn't expire until 1st week of May so thats the earliest I can have the A5.

Thanks for all the advice and I have to say that I got better input from you guys than the Audi forums.

Don't forget to post some pics once she's arrived! :winky:

Good choice mate, I love the way the A5 looks and have no idea why it's so rare! :whistling:

It's a great looking car, have to agree about how it doesn't really need to bodykit as much as some others do. Have you driven one yet? And if so, how did it drive?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links