Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check Your Timing Belt Early!

duttnut

hi all ive had my 200 for about 2 weeks now was gona check my belt when i service it but i wasent that lucky and it dident make it :crybaby: i was just on my way home about half a mile doing 50mph and it snaped :crying: if there is any lotto winners out there and feel sorry for me please dont hesatate to call!!!!

I'm a new member on the forum, Only had my IS200 for about two weeks, and I'm very happy with it in general. There's a few niggles to sort out, but as I consider the car was a bargin I don't mind spending some time and a little money on putting it right smile.gif

One reason the car was cheaper than usuall was its lack of service history, but after a test drive and a good listen to the engine, etc, I decided to go ahead and take a chance :rolleyes:

So, one of the first jobs on my list was to change the timing belt, It'd done 89,000miles so well on the way to the 100.000miles recomendation which most people seem to go by, but over the "or 6 years" which seems more realistic!

So as I'm pretty handy with my tools, and an engineer of sorts biggrin.gif I decided to do the belt myself and change the water pump at the same time, the job was fairly simple and I must say that the quality of engineering on the car was fantastic.

Note, there was no unusual noise coming from the engine and no lack in performance.

This is what I found when I removed the top timing belt cover,

2-7-09003001.jpg

Wow ohmy.gif

2-7-09002001.jpg

2-7-09004001.jpg

Yes the belt should be twice the width!

and with the bottom cover removed,

2-7-09005001.jpg

2-7-09007001.jpg

The remains of the other half of the belt are plain to see. The tensioner pulley had worn and gone out of line and was trying to throw off the belt, luckily the guard was close enough to stop it coming off in one go.

You can see in the next pic how the tensioner pulley on the left is out of alignmentcompered to the others,

2-7-09009001.jpg

The old belt and its remains!

2-7-09010001.jpg

The problem it seems wasn't the belt at all, Half the belt was still doing the work fine, but the tensioner must have been worn for ages, so even if your belt looks good, you could still be in for a supprise!

So if your belt has never been changed even if your car has low milage , do it! You may not be as lucky as me!

http://www.ebay.co.u...7#ht_4966wt_952

OUT OF STOCK,,, THEY ARE SELLING ALL QUALITY PARTS AT VERY REASONABLE PRICES.......

WILL BE BACK IN STOCK END OF FEBRUARY--THEN IT WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL PRICE OF £129.90

COMPLETE TIMING KIT OF GENUINE ITEMS....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just picked up an x plate at the start of the week and because of this thread checked and found the identical situation.new belt fitted an hour later. thanks to the origimal poster .your heads up has probably saved alot of people some serious grief

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased an IS200 with about 110k on the clock, owner promised me the timing belt was replaced etc..

When I got home I removed the belt cover to find half a timing belt and loads of chewed up furry crap. He possibly did have the belt changed but he did not change the tensioner pulley which was screwed. Belt and pulleys were promptly changed. It appears to be a weak point on the 1G-FE. always check the tensioner pulley if you get a IS200!!

• 3 months later...

Was looking at mine wondering wether it would be worth cutting some of the cover to leave an inspection hole, so it can be checked when checking levels etc. I don't like belts being fully covered up no matter what they do.

• 3 months later...

My belts due a change end of next year so thought ide better check! I was dreading the sight of a half belt! but luckily its all good. It got its belt done at lexus stockport the first time so im guessing they new of the fault and change the tentioners on mine :)

Also anyone wanting to have a quick check, you only need to take the 2 left side bolts off to prise the cover enough to have a peek. saves taking the air intake all off.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my second cambelt and tensioner fitted at Lexus Leicester, first was done at 90k and six years ago. this one done at 170k, did not know that the recommendation had changed to 6yrs/60k rather than 6yrs/100k. I asked for belts and tensioners back to see how they had worn and glad to say the old one looks to be in good condition. This time I also had the three aux belts changed as thought they have not been changed in 12 years (since new), they also look in OK condition.

One thing I was not expecting though was a call from the garage saying that my radiator was shot and needed replacing!!

• 1 year later...

Just looking at this was wondering witch brand do you people recommend? Im about to do it and I dont know witch one to buy and where to buy it? I need some links of eBay. Was quoted something like 560 for belt tensioner pulley and waterpumo. Thanks

• 1 month later...

My car has just got to 130k with the belt last changed at 65k so it's due it now. Looking on eBay, it s £105 for genuine with a tensioner, or £120 for blueprint with tensioner and idler. Do people usually need to change the idler? Also don't know what to do about the water pump. It got changed last time, but I'm going to be selling the car (after nearly 8 years, fancy a change and looking at diesel estates :( ) so don't want to spend money Willy nilly. I'll probably be changing it myself and it'll mean staying and refilling the coolant on to of the ~£100 for the pump.

You ask if you should changed tensioner and idler in this thread lol did you not see the pictures of a result of leaving them? And from my experience water pump is good to around 100k so up to you. And £100 for a water pump? Why so much? Get a good make for under £50 Halfords advanced coolant only £15 or something. seeing a nice shiny water pump alongside new belts and a fresh oil change was a big selling point when selling mine.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Going to get my cambelt and water pump done tomorrow. .got it check today ..it was worn out ..on the edge of the cam sprocket and starting to crumble at the edge...once it's done..that will be ..New radiator. .New brake pads f/b..4 New Uniroyals 215/45-17..my Is200 Sport is ready for another..70k miles of peace of mind thrashing..😂😂😂

Am not having a dig but it does baffle me when people try and cut corners what's the point in changing a cam belt and then not changing the idler and tensioner false economy !!!!!

• 6 months later...

Bought the car yesterday, full service history (stamps) but went independent shops @ 50k. Its doing 96K now, and no proof of belt changes documented. Pulled the covers to check condition and I attached the pics here (no thinning, no gunk under the covers)

Do I:

1. Change belts immediately?  or

2. Wait closer to 100K? (given the condition of the belts)

THanks. 

Car is an 03 IS 200 Sport (manual)

IMG_5357 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5358 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_5359 (1024x768).jpg

Get the belts, idler/tensioner and water pump done ASAP.

Timing belts are usually 100k or 10 years, whichever is sooner, so it's well overdue on time. When I buy a secondhand car, one of the first things I also do is to get all fluids changed too.

it's 60k or 6 years whichever comes first and not 10 years or 100k(it was revised downwards),there seems to be a bit of confusion on this but it was originally 100k but later revised to 60k

• Like 1

trouble is those piccys can't show you if there's any teeth missing !  and for another 4k miles  ..........   I'd do the change quite soon

Malc