Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Passenger Electric Seat Conversion

04r1

Question. I've got a 2000 IS200 sport with beige half leather, trouble is it has a manually adjustable passenger seat, how easy is it to put an electric base on it, and is it correct that it only has driver side electric?

Thanks

thanks for the replies...It's a fully speced model with full TRD aero pack and it's got the Navigator built in Sat nav, just seems weird only one leccy seat?

Interior is great condition, just wondered if I could swap a seat base to the existing manual seat.

I must get off my backside and post some pix

thanks for the replies...It's a fully speced model with full TRD aero pack and it's got the Navigator built in Sat nav, just seems weird only one leccy seat?

Interior is great condition, just wondered if I could swap a seat base to the existing manual seat.

I must get off my backside and post some pix

don't think you can bud.maybe wrong but would think the controls for the tilt etc etc are all on the seat or at least part of it

Sure Jason_L or someone on here did the same swap, it was the pre September 2000 cars I believe that had the manual passenger seat - think mine was a Sep 2000 car and that had the facelift with both electric.

It's just a case of getting an interior from a breaker and think Jason did the wiring himself, can't remember if the loom was there - there's only four bolts I think so if you pop the existing seat out you could check to see if the loom is there or not.

Just don't get an interior from an S model as they're both manual!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

ive done the convertion on mine chap, Mines a 99' and now has a late spec interior with both seats working heating and electric... if you get stuck give me a shout as its quite simple :)

....OK, OK...taken a while but i'm a busy man....!!!!

I've now got seats from a 2003 IS (both electric) and wanna put them in my '99 sport that has manual passenger side electric drivers side.

thing is looking at a few posts, should i take the seatbelt connectors off my old seats as the new seat ones i think are different?

Also did Lexus hopefully put all the wiring connectors ready for this upgrade on the passenger side...!!! :ohmy:

Gonna have a bash when the Turkey seasons over... :winky:

when i done this conversion i had to swap over the seat belts as they dont fit in the stalks that comes with the seats then i found out the seat belt pre tensioners were diff too(well the plugs were)so i had to swap them too..not too hard a job just a pain...mine was a 99 electric drivers only...now has a 2005 spec sport seats in it both working electric and heated

when i done this conversion i had to swap over the seat belts as they dont fit in the stalks that comes with the seats then i found out the seat belt pre tensioners were diff too(well the plugs were)so i had to swap them too..not too hard a job just a pain...mine was a 99 electric drivers only...now has a 2005 spec sport seats in it both working electric and heated

Yeah I heard the belts were different..as for the wiring on the passenger side was it there or did you run some feeds from the drivers side?

Did this conversion as well. Mine is a 2000 S model so nothing under the seats as far as wiring goes. I don't know what my new seats came out of I found them on eBay for £100 if I remember rightly. Any way they electric and half leather. I simply took a live feed from the fuse box in either footwell. Seemed silly to run wire from Battery and then across the car for drivers side. I wired mine up ignition live, they don't move unless the ignition is on or engine running. Then again there's only me that drives it so no need to move seats anyway. Was just an upgrade from the standard cloth that you get in the S model. They're in now and move about so job done

Did this conversion as well. Mine is a 2000 S model so nothing under the seats as far as wiring goes. I don't know what my new seats came out of I found them on ebay for £100 if I remember rightly. Any way they electric and half leather. I simply took a live feed from the fuse box in either footwell. Seemed silly to run wire from battery and then across the car for drivers side. I wired mine up ignition live, they don't move unless the ignition is on or engine running. Then again there's only me that drives it so no need to move seats anyway. Was just an upgrade from the standard cloth that you get in the S model. They're in now and move about so job done

...Hmmm... well i'm a bit fussier!! ;) got them in and ran the feeds for the electric adjustment part from the drivers side under the carpet, between centre console. Perfect. Works fine. chopped wiring for heated seats, connected all the same colours together and again, works as it should. Seat side airbag same as manual seat, no worries. Just left with no seat belt warning light for passenger. Might have another go tomorrow, but girlfriend leaves the damn thing off anyway, so light flashes annoyingly so may not bother. This is not as easy as the write ups above would make you think. Just be aware if you want later seats in an earlier (manual adjust) model, you can't just rip out the old and bolt in the new.

So to summarise-

Seat belts will not fit from earlier cars on later models - change belts or catches (I swapped catches on seats)

No wiring under passenger side for power seats - run spliced feeds from drivers electric side under centre console carpet (pain to do invisibly, but at least fused and constant power)

Wiring COMPLETELY Different on later seats passenger side, and manual adjust seat wiring ONLY side airbag connector the same.

Cut pink and black (dunno what this is!)/ white and black (earth)/ green and red (heated seat + feed)wires and join them all together to get feed for heated seats.

Not sure how to get seat belt warning light going but suspect pink and black has to go to some other coloured wires (black/blue!?):duh:

Interior looks ace now, got a lovely new looking leather and alcantarra set same as mine but with piping and electric both sides... give yourself a few hours and careful with them airbags...! :blink:

seat belts do fit(late in to early) you just need to modify the pillar slightly(thats what i did...)

..far easier to use old catches on seats though...undo one bolt, use original belts, jobs a good 'un. Gotta be easier than whacking a dent in the door pillar a taking off all the trim??!!

Got the seat belt warning light passenger side goin, it was the pink and black wire.

If anyone wants my old interior (front and back seats) its on eBay. Special deal for forum members. I was going to keep the headrests and fit monitors in them...maybe one of you lot fancy trying??!! I've also got a few more bits and pieces (nesarside door card, beige, late model speaker grill-mint and rear seat belts in beige. Make me an offer and you can have the lot for ....not a lot!!

• 1 month later...

I've got the wiring loom at the heated switch in the dash but i cannot find the other end under the seat. I've got an s model. Can I simply connect the red & black wire coming out of the switch to the red & black under my seat? Everything else is wired and working except for the heated elements.

Thank for any advice folks.

• 1 year later...

Did this conversion as well. Mine is a 2000 S model so nothing under the seats as far as wiring goes. I don't know what my new seats came out of I found them on ebay for £100 if I remember rightly. Any way they electric and half leather. I simply took a live feed from the fuse box in either footwell. Seemed silly to run wire from battery and then across the car for drivers side. I wired mine up ignition live, they don't move unless the ignition is on or engine running. Then again there's only me that drives it so no need to move seats anyway. Was just an upgrade from the standard cloth that you get in the S model. They're in now and move about so job done

...Hmmm... well i'm a bit fussier!! wink.gif got them in and ran the feeds for the electric adjustment part from the drivers side under the carpet, between centre console. Perfect. Works fine. chopped wiring for heated seats, connected all the same colours together and again, works as it should. Seat side airbag same as manual seat, no worries. Just left with no seat belt warning light for passenger. Might have another go tomorrow, but girlfriend leaves the damn thing off anyway, so light flashes annoyingly so may not bother. This is not as easy as the write ups above would make you think. Just be aware if you want later seats in an earlier (manual adjust) model, you can't just rip out the old and bolt in the new.

So to summarise-

Seat belts will not fit from earlier cars on later models - change belts or catches (I swapped catches on seats)

No wiring under passenger side for power seats - run spliced feeds from drivers electric side under centre console carpet (pain to do invisibly, but at least fused and constant power)

Wiring COMPLETELY Different on later seats passenger side, and manual adjust seat wiring ONLY side airbag connector the same.

Cut pink and black (dunno what this is!)/ white and black (earth)/ green and red (heated seat + feed)wires and join them all together to get feed for heated seats.

Not sure how to get seat belt warning light going but suspect pink and black has to go to some other coloured wires (black/blue!?)wacko.gif

Interior looks ace now, got a lovely new looking leather and alcantarra set same as mine but with piping and electric both sides... give yourself a few hours and careful with them airbags...! blink.gif

Hi ,you said you ran spliced wires from drivers side to passenger side. Was this the white live wire only? and ground

I'd just leave the manual seat in the passenger side - I hate having to explain to everyone who needs to move it that it's electric and they need to use the button on the side, and then have to tell others to stop trying to make it move faster by scootching! It's also a pain having to reach all the way over the seat to get to the button to move it myself!

Makes perfect sense having it on the drivers side, because you can make much finer adjustments than with a manual, but it just isn't needed on the passenger side!

• 4 weeks later...

Seems easy enough, but dont think its worth the money ppl are asking for seats on eBay, although i may justify it some day due to my passenger heated seat elements knackered it seems

• 2 months later...