Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dealership Standards

What quality control does Lexus GB exercise over its franchised dealers?

I recently (October 2008) purchased a new RE400 SEL from Lexus Bradford. It was not the most wonderful experience for various reasons but I let it go at the time. This is now my 3rd Lexus (IS200, RX300) all bought new. Today I decided to take the mats out of the rear to vacuum under them for the first time. I doubt anyone has sat in the back since I have have had it , hence this not being a frequent task. Underneath both mats were large sheets of plastic stuck to the main carpet, each saying "Dealer must remove protective cover". Clearly part of the PDI work but simply not done. Yes it may be a simple matter but what else has not been done - properly or at all?

I have sent these on to the Dealer Principal - to assist him in looking at the manner in which his business is conducted.

All this can be dismissed as much ado about little - BUT Lexus cars are supposed to be at the top end of the market and the 'experience' of ownership second to none. Lexus seems to be losing its way to judge by a theme present in a number of threads and just becoming another supplier of cars which happen to be expensive.

Time for them to sit up methinks.

D

I've always found Lexus Bradford the a-typical car dealer - are your best friend BEFORE buying but a COMPLETE waste of time afterwards. Can't stand them at all. I know a couple of other people who have had the same experience too so it isn't just me so watch out! Hope your experience with them turns out better. Keep us posted.

I have bought most of my cars from lexus edinburgh and returned when requiring a service or sale,the service from the sales staff and service staff has always been second to none.

I recently made another purchase from lexus coventry and i would thoroughly recommend them,they have been very helpfull and have went over and above normal customer service to retain my business.

If you use lexus edinburgh ask for scott gammie and he will put you on to a salesman or ask for leon or lambros from coventry.

COMPLETE SATISFACTION GUARANTEED.

I have bought most of my cars from lexus edinburgh and returned when requiring a service or sale,the service from the sales staff and service staff has always been second to none.

I recently made another purchase from lexus coventry and i would thoroughly recommend them,they have been very helpfull and have went over and above normal customer service to retain my business.

If you use lexus edinburgh ask for scott gammie and he will put you on to a salesman or ask for leon or lambros from coventry.

Sounds good. Thanks for the insight. Will call up Lexus Coventry as my RX is due for a service in the next month or so...

Sounds good. Thanks for the insight. Will call up Lexus Coventry as my RX is due for a service in the next month or so...

For service you need Simon at Coventry. I have always had fantastic service from sales and service at Coventry.

....Sounds good. Thanks for the insight. Will call up Lexus Coventry as my RX is due for a service in the next month or so...

Isn't Leicester Lexus closer for you?

I ask because I am between the 2 dealerships and have always used Leicester-are Coventry likely to be better?

....Sounds good. Thanks for the insight. Will call up Lexus Coventry as my RX is due for a service in the next month or so...

Isn't Leicester Lexus closer for you?

I ask because I am between the 2 dealerships and have always used Leicester-are Coventry likely to be better?

It is indeed closer. LOTS closer...but i've found the service chap there rather arrogant and has very rarely ever returned my calls. The chap in the parts department though is brilliant!

It is indeed closer. LOTS closer...but i've found the service chap there rather arrogant and has very rarely ever returned my calls. The chap in the parts department though is brilliant!

Yes,I can agree with your assessment there!

I have always been a bit nervous of going to Coventry Lexus in the past because it is owned by Listers who have the Toyota franchise right next door,and I must admit I have been less than impressed with my dealings with Listers Toyota Coventry.

Normally I wouldn't bother, but as this is being talked about here I thought I'd contribute my own experience.

First my views on car salesmanship. Generally, if as a punter you go into a car showroom, you've probably already decided what you want. Thus, the purpose of the car salesman is not to mess up the purchase.

Well, I've been into Lexus Cambridge on a few occasions. On some of those, I could have been SOLD a car. But on all of those occasions, I've left without buying. And I didn't regret it afterwards. I can think of a number of reasons why the deals didn't go through. Sometimes it was the salesman himself, following a set pattern and not listening to my questions. Partly, it is what appears to be the sales policy of either the dealer, or it may be Lexus GB. We all know that Lexus are back in the dark ages when it comes to fitting the latest ICE technology - MP3, iPod, DAB, TV, etc. (This hasn't always been the case; about 10 years ago they were right up front with SatNav, Bluetooth. But in recent years they've lost their way). But here then is an opportunity for a dealer to fill that weakness and offer to fit what ever aftermarket solution you want, be it from Vaistech, Denison, whoever. But they don't. They're lazy. All they want to do is sell what Lexus GB gives them. No more, no less. (Or, more charitably, Lexus GB won't let them do more than that).

Yes, I could fit my own aftermarket accessories. But why should I if I'm buying a new car? So I have resolved that the dealer won't make easy money out of me and that I'll buy my Lexus second hand. Which is what I did about a year ago. Bought a 2003 RX 300, White, in superb condition. Cheap at the price, 'cos white is 'not popular' - but I like it. Now, with such a secondhand car, I'm very happy to fit the accessories I want myself.

Now that same secondhand Lexus, I gave to Lexus Norwich and asked them to do what they would have done if they themselves had acquired the car in part exchange and were reselling as a Lexus approved pre-owned car. Dear oh dear. They just couldn't get the glue right on the wipers auto sensor. Had to go back 3 times. Got a bottle of wine in the end, but no real apology from anyone senior for my time and trouble - and to mollify their embarrasment.

The frustration here is that Lexus service is touted as one of the best around. Well, if that's the best then I dread to think what the second best is.

Let me say here that for the car itself, I do like Lexus style, engineering, etc. I will probably keep buying Lexus, albeit second hand. But as a manufacturer, they need to put in the latest ICE technology (which is relatively mature now; its been around a long time). And the dealers need to step up to the mark and give the level of customer service that the brand merits.

Perhaps Lexus should strip out all the extras that come as standard and charge us for them too, as other manufacturers do. Then we can compare like for like on extras, accessories and equipment features. At least then the extra value offered by Lexus will be more obvious...or not...

Perhaps Lexus should strip out all the extras that come as standard and charge us for them too, as other manufacturers do. Then we can compare like for like on extras, accessories and equipment features. At least then the extra value offered by Lexus will be more obvious...or not...

I did this exercise on a BMW X5 about a year ago. (You can do it on their website under 'build your own BMW). Even after adding in the options that the Lexus RX didn't have (MP3, DAB, TV) the price came out similar. I was surprised, and enlightened.

Really, I don't think the 'extra value' is there anymore with Lexus. It's my heart that keeps me driving one, not any sound financial reason.

RML you make some very good points RE: Sales-People who have, in reality, have had it far too easy for far too long.

In these challenging times it has become apparent that many in Sales don't actually know how to sell. It isn't about following a fixed sale spatter - but listening to the Customer - who invariably is right as they know what they want!

I think there is variation in the type of service you get in certain franchises and this (IMHO) is due to the nature of the franchise. Sytner have a 'hard sell' attitude IMHO and regardless of the brand, this doesn't sit well with me. So I don't think it is really Lexus at fault, rather the frnachise...and genuinely, how much influence can Lexus have over them? The attitude that pervades is of the franchise and not really the brand - which is what attracts us.

Perhaps they can make better choices, and 'bad' dealers will go bust, but really they are in the business of promoting the brand and extending their reach (IE: making money).

Extra's and options don't make a car an "Executive" brand - else Mondeo Titanium X's and Honda Accords would be king and their "value" rating would be even higher!!! There's a fine balance between engineering excellence, the "drive" and what you get for your money...which is why the BMW 3 outsells the Mondeo...the badge counts for some too...

I was positively wowed by the options when I had my Lexus, but looking at it now from the other side, the only option I miss is the rear view camera which I can have fitted for a small fortune...my current car doesn't have half of the Lexus kit, but my experience has proven to me at least that most of the options are "nice to haves"...

The biggest issues now though are :

Limited engine choices

High Co2

the reasons I think why Lexus have allowed this to happen in Europe is because they follow the American market and demand there drives their development. Wait till the yanks start buying BMW320d's...and other BMW and Audi Diesels...Lexus will be hit hard then. The Hybrid programme needs a serious kick (i.e. better Co2, more boot space, less weight).

I bought my 300 at Lexus Cardiff three years ago, I traded in a Jeep Cherokee ltd and was dealt with by a salesman named Paul Snowden, he was the best salesman I've ever bought a car from, so professional but he has sadly moved on. Their service manager Mr Williams is also superb.

I returned there last March for my 2nd service with 9k on the clock.

They had a new guy on sales who came from the Del Trotter School for sales. He promised to phone me later with a price against a 400h. He never rang.

I change every three years, I visited Lexus Cardiff again two weeks ago and was offered £2k less than they gave me for my Jeep three years ago. I asked if there was a discount on the new car, same salesman as a year ago told me they don't need to offer discounts as they can sell hybrids without any trouble. They were looking for £26k plus my car for a 400H special edition. :crybaby:

I have chosen a different company for my new car which arrives next Sunday, I will be sad to see my 300 go but as I said I like to change every three years and prefer to buy new.

Whoever gets my 300 will have a cracking car, it's only done 14k. and I know the dealer will just sell it on to a trader as they don't want it on their forecourt.

I have enjoyed owning a Lexus and would return in the future but I must say that they loose a huge amount of money and at this time I can't afford to loose the same over the next three years that I would loose if I stayed with Lexus

I bought my 300 at Lexus Cardiff three years ago, I traded in a Jeep Cherokee ltd and was dealt with by a salesman named Paul Snowden, he was the best salesman I've ever bought a car from, so professional but he has sadly moved on. Their service manager Mr Williams is also superb.

I returned there last March for my 2nd service with 9k on the clock.

They had a new guy on sales who came from the Del Trotter School for sales. He promised to phone me later with a price against a 400h. He never rang.

I change every three years, I visited Lexus Cardiff again two weeks ago and was offered £2k less than they gave me for my Jeep three years ago. I asked if there was a discount on the new car, same salesman as a year ago told me they don't need to offer discounts as they can sell hybrids without any trouble. They were looking for £26k plus my car for a 400H special edition. :crybaby:

I have chosen a different company for my new car which arrives next Sunday, I will be sad to see my 300 go but as I said I like to change every three years and prefer to buy new.

Whoever gets my 300 will have a cracking car, it's only done 14k. and I know the dealer will just sell it on to a trader as they don't want it on their forecourt.

I have enjoyed owning a Lexus and would return in the future but I must say that they loose a huge amount of money and at this time I can't afford to loose the same over the next three years that I would loose if I stayed with Lexus

Values and demand have plummeted all round for the RX300. Dealers don't seem to want them as it takes a long time to shift them.

Well here we are ten days and no response from the dealership. Why am I not surprised?

This is exactly how a marque loses hitherto loyal customers.

At least I will continue to use Lexus in Sheffield for servicing - something which is done impeccably.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links