Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Is200tt Project

Right, as some of you may have noticed i changed my Signature a couple of weeks ago and now i'll explain all.

I had the TTE charger kit, with larger intercooler, and a Greddy Emanage and got it to an impressive 230Bhp.

but i'm never quite happy and wanted more.

Before i could go any further i needed at least stronger rods and pistons in the 1GFE engine. but these arent easy to find for the right side of £1k!

so next i tried to find some from a 1GGTE engine like IS200Sam has in his Turbo IS.

These though aren't the easiest engine to find as they weren't in many cars. The most popular car it was in was the Mark3 supra, but only in Japan, and very few were imported.

So the first place to start was the Mk3 forum. when i joined i found a trader on there called Silverline Racing and after speaking to Steve who owns it he'd convinced me that there was better ways to go that the 1GFE.

So after many discussions and mind changing from me i finally decided on my new engine,

A low mileage 1GGTE conversion.

This 2L TWIN TURBO engine should slot straight into the IS200's engine bay.

So thats what i'm going for,

A 1GGTE engine

W58 gearbox

custom lightwieght propshaft

Oil cooler

Full 3 inch stainless 316 exhaust

Full standalone LINK G4 Ecu with boost control and launch control.

He's not a big operation though extremely knowledgeable and proficient at what he does. he has a high rep at custom fabrication and extremely happy customers.

And only really deals in big jobs (engine transplants, custom manifolds etc). I'm extremely confident of his ability and although the job will take longer than Yelarb's conversion, (aiming for early April) i'm extremely excited.

The whole thing will be set up by Steve and his expert mapper and the only thing holding me back will be the Turbos.

Expecting 300ish with the standard Tubbies, and the possibility for much more when i switch to a big single at a later date.

The engine

DSC00039.jpg

The Id

DSC00040.jpg

The Tubbies

DSC00041.jpg

The badge

DSC00042.jpg

One of his current jobs, creating a custom manifold for Driftworks own Skyline

DSC00043.jpg

I really cant wait for it to be done,

not half because this is my current ride:

9130_12.jpg

A 188,000mile Automatic Saab! £500.10 off eBay though, a bargain.

Stav

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES another mad mad mad mad mad person!!!

Twin turbo nice :winky: and you have a SAAB like my old one except mine was an AERO9-5!!! It will be an interesting project good on you!!

You will be able to sell a lot of your old engine for a fair bit and that should pay for some of the conversion.

Who really wants a tried and tested conversion anyway :crybaby:

Good luck to you and the garage involved and I really hope this works out well.

Do you think there will have to be a seperate thread for these "Frankenstein" cars :shifty:

Good question.

Pick your brains then..

would it bolt straight on? my assumption is yes?

also will it handle the power?

any advice appreciated

Stav

yup should go straight on, same block as the IS200

it will hold the power,......its the same box as on the Altezza and some of those in japan are running over 300hp, if the box is as good as the Diffs are......ive only just swapped the monster is200 diif, and there was nothing wrong with it when it came off

may find a bit of power through the box will make it feel better

also the box is used on the Nissan S15 and a few others without any dramas at 300

electrics will be your biggest issue.....getting the multiplex to read the engine signals.

Good question.

Pick your brains then..

would it bolt straight on? my assumption is yes?

also will it handle the power?

any advice appreciated

Stav

yup should go straight on, same block as the IS200

it will hold the power,......its the same box as on the Altezza and some of those in japan are running over 300hp, if the box is as good as the Diffs are......ive only just swapped the monster is200 diif, and there was nothing wrong with it when it came off

may find a bit of power through the box will make it feel better

also the box is used on the Nissan S15 and a few others without any dramas at 300

electrics will be your biggest issue.....getting the multiplex to read the engine signals.

Thanks for that info, i'll pass it on and see what we come up with.

though i think the reason was that the w58 can handle more if/when i go big single.

And yeah we've already been discussing the ECU, think we've got a couple of solutions to get it working ok.

thanks for the advice though

Stav

I'm gonna follow this with great interest, sounds like it'll be awesome when it's finished. As I said in your sale thread, I'm surprised as you had got so much power out of the standard engine, but if you need more then this is clearly the way to go!

That is a bargain on that Saab btw, plus it'll push you to get the Lex done faster :lol:

i was originaly going to drop just the bottom end into mine to keep the VVT-i but there was pressure problems and ended up putting the crank, piston and rods into the FE block. You will be chuffed mate and il defo keep a close eye on this thread! good luck with it all mate :) and as mat has already said the motor slots straight in

nice one mate - all the best with it. sounds like an interesting build!!

couple of questions matey - what's the difference between dropping the whole 1G-GTE engine in compared to using the internals and keeping the 1G-FE and adding a turbo to it?? is it simply cost or are there other factors??

whats the scope for further power form this?? i presume you could be good for upwards of 500 horses??

also, you said ur thinking of a big single turbo at some point - won't that lag like billy-o??

again mate, all the best with it and hope the turn around time is good for you mate.

rob

Congrats on this big project mate.

Hope it all gose well and now I know why you were not telling :lol:

So are you going to be using the emanage & the traction controll unit in this project ??

Think you are mental :lol::lol::lol:

Traction control, yes i'm keeping, and boy will i need it lol.

But the emanage, no, thats going (already sold) to be replaced with a full standalone system.

i was originaly going to drop just the bottom end into mine to keep the VVT-i but there was pressure problems and ended up putting the crank, piston and rods into thle FE block. You will be chuffed mate and il defo keep a close eye on this thread! good luck with it all mate :) and as mat has already said the motor slots straight in

It was just simpler to put the head on as well, as apparently the VVTi cant get limiting at 350+, and the exhaust exits are spaced differently for the turbo manifold.

nice one mate - all the best with it. sounds like an interesting build!!

couple of questions matey - what's the difference between dropping the whole 1G-GTE engine in compared to using the internals and keeping the 1G-FE and adding a turbo to it?? is it simply cost or are there other factors??

whats the scope for further power form this?? i presume you could be good for upwards of 500 horses??

also, you said ur thinking of a big single turbo at some point - won't that lag like billy-o??

again mate, all the best with it and hope the turn around time is good for you mate.

rob

As said above the heads are different and have different exhaust spacings, theres manifold available for the GTE but not the FE. but overall its a built engine for the power.

For further scope your looking at 400ish apparently before you need to crack open the engine, probaly not a massive amount more to be gained after that, remember it is a 2l.

and as for the big single, it all depends on the choice of turbo mate. so many permutations.

Thanks for all the comments though lads, im well excited.

Nice one Stav, so Silverline are doing the work ?

Thats the DW skyline which has the 1JZ in it i believe having a little updating going on with it.

Matt correct me if im wrong but i thought i read somewhere that the W58 boxes cant handle that much power 300-350 ish or is that load of poo ???

Nice one Stav, so Silverline are doing the work ?

Thats the DW skyline which has the 1JZ in it i believe having a little updating going on with it.

Matt correct me if im wrong but i thought i read somewhere that the W58 boxes cant handle that much power 300-350 ish or is that load of poo ???

Yeah Silverline, you heard of him/them?

Nice one Stav, should be very nice when all finished mate, in time for the ring trip :D

It should be if people pulls their fingers out and saying yes to coming

Stav

Are you rebuilding the engine, or dropping in a known good one?

If you can keep the 'box that is a bonus really, I think the close ratio IS box will help keep the turbos on boost better although LexusIS200sam will be able to tell me if I am reight. I also think yours will be able to handle more power than mine before internal upgrades are necessary, must be a good thing as this will keep the reliability intact over 300HP.

I can't wait to see all these vehicles in the flesh and up the pod!!