Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Mkiii Alarm Problems

:unsure: Hi All! The alarm on my mkIII LS400 keeps going off intermittently. I have tried locking the car using just the key but the alarm still goes off. Needless to say I am very popular with the neighbours! I have searched the forums but can't find any reference to disabling the alarm. Can any one tell me how I can either disable the alarm or at least turn the siren off/stop the horn? BTW I have removed metal objects from the centre console. Also as an aside this has happened 3 times in 4 years and each time it seems to last for a few days then settles down and stops. Help!

:unsure: Hi All! The alarm on my mkIII LS400 keeps going off intermittently. I have tried locking the car using just the key but the alarm still goes off. Needless to say I am very popular with the neighbours! I have searched the forums but can't find any reference to disabling the alarm. Can any one tell me how I can either disable the alarm or at least turn the siren off/stop the horn? BTW I have removed metal objects from the centre console. Also as an aside this has happened 3 times in 4 years and each time it seems to last for a few days then settles down and stops. Help!

Happened on my mk 3. A sensor somewhere in the centre armrest had gone over-sensitive. Dunno how to disable it, but local Lexus dealer fixed it for under £50 - never played up since. Must be adjustable, therefore. Perhaps a car alarm fitting company could advise you, although I am confident someone else in the LOC will help you.

Beep-beep !

Happened on my mk 3. A sensor somewhere in the centre armrest had gone over-sensitive. Dunno how to disable it, but local Lexus dealer fixed it for under £50 - never played up since. Must be adjustable, therefore. Perhaps a car alarm fitting company could advise you, although I am confident someone else in the LOC will help you.

Beep-beep !

Cool - thanks JellyBean. Is this why people advise clearing out the centre console? I shall ring my local dealer.

Update: Just had a call from Simon of Lexus in Coventry. Simon advised me to empty all metallic objects from the console which I thought I had done but he also said CDs could cause a problem even though they're not metal so I'll give that a go. His explanation was that the radar sits under the centre console and the output gets deflected and so is more sensitive to passing cars. Otherwise a similar proposition of £50 was suggested - not bad if improves relations with the neighbours!

there is a unit in the engine bay, which is the alarm siren.

I have a Mk iii too.

The alarm is a Scorpion , T3000 I think, and they were fitted by dealers at time of import to comply with the then new Cat-1 Thatcham alarm specs. there is some detail on the thatcham alarm site.

To turn the siren off, you should have a key, a barrel type with notches in it, The siren has a rubber protector over the key hole.

If you can not find it, I can take a picture tomorrow for you.

maybe this will help too, but my problem was that the car was disabled too and would not start either.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...amp;hl=scorpion

there is a unit in the engine bay, which is the alarm siren.

I have a Mk iii too.

The alarm is a Scorpion , T3000 I think, and they were fitted by dealers at time of import to comply with the then new Cat-1 Thatcham alarm specs. there is some detail on the thatcham alarm site.

To turn the siren off, you should have a key, a barrel type with notches in it, The siren has a rubber protector over the key hole.

If you can not find it, I can take a picture tomorrow for you.

maybe this will help too, but my problem was that the car was disabled too and would not start either.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...amp;hl=scorpion

Thanks Simon.

UPDATE:

I found more "metallic" stuff in the centre console and removed it all ( a pen , a small batteyr and a couple of CDs) and we had a peaceful alarm free night.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

• 8 years later...

LS400 1996     I too have intermittent alarm going off when it wants.I believe the problem started after a new windscreen was fitted.I believe i' have a now got a leaky screen.As the problem occurs when she steams./condensates up on the windows [like a old Ford Cortina] I have been told by a alarm tech that a good dowsing of silicone spray over/around the in cab sensors will probably sort it short term..My question is WHERE ARE THEY SITUATED? I need to find them my NEIGHBOURS need me to find them.  

Nigel, there's a solution to this and for which I spent many years searching ...  there's a piece from a few of us on here about the issue and for me, my indy remedied the area just under the trim by the centre console arm by the cupholders

I think it involved turning the volume/sensor down .....  been fine since

If you wanted to travel down to Thanet, near Manston old airport, then my indy will no doubt book you in to sort it for you. Let me know if you wanted his number

Malc

I found with my Mk3, that putting metal stuff in the centre console seemed to make alarm go off more, and also when neighbours jacked up their WiFi it seemed to be more sensitive.

Occasionaly find my Mk4 goes off for no reason as well, but not as bad as the Mk3 I had, and usually when I am in office, and we have a lot of electronic equipment chucking out stuff.

I am not sure if being older alarm systems they are more sensistive to radio interference, so turning down sensitivity might be best answer,  and maybe making sureonly sandwiches kept in center console!

The old concept of changing TV channels with the remote, and the garage doors across the road opens.

friends who are Computer Safety engineers are VERY negative about all these 'Alexa' etc., gizmos and would never own them.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Today my alarm went off unexpectedly for the first time since I got my LS400 Mark 4 and I immediately remembered that when my Mark 1 alarm kept going off, I had called out an alarm repair firm, who told me that a strip of indigestion tablet foil packaging in the centre compartment was interfering with the sensor's microwave pattern. He said that metal objects should not be kept in there for that reason. Today I had left my metal cased LG G5 phone in the arm rest storage area and that's why it went off.

I knew there were many reasons to buy the same model of car again, apart from the fact that I pined for another after I sold the Mark 1! 

• Like 1

What is odd, is that this morning I noticed I had left my small spotting scope (metal) in the center, along with electric shaver, and it has not gone off, so makes me  think only certain metal objects must mess about with the microwave pattern.

I recall when I kept a metal tyre pressure guage in the center, it was part of the problem.

The mystery of security systems.:wacko: