Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mclaren

Parthiban

At one point there was a graphic to accompany the on-board footage which, as well as showing the traditional revs/brake/throttle graphs, also had a KERS bar which showed how much charge there was in it, and you could also see (Raikkonen I think ?) using it at several points in the quali.

Not sure if it shows the amount of charge, as once it's used up it doesn't then start charging up again, I think it's actually that you can only use 6.7s worth each lap, and it's that countdown that that bar is showing.

Yep, after having seen it in use in the race, you're of course right. The fact that the meter goes from empty to full as the car crosses the start/finish line gives it away.

I wondered how the teams were able to use KERS off the start line at the start of the race, as was alluded to. I guess that with any laps to get to the grid, plus the formation lap, there's enough running there to charge the KERS up ? I had previously assumed they'd start empty on that front.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a brilliant race, fantastic how even ignoring the safety cars the pack stayed pretty tight together showing how much the field has been brought together.

Amazing result for Brawn and Jenson, he and the team both deserve this, especially Jenson as he's one of the few drivers who has the talent but somehow never made it in to a front running team over so many years. I really hope this continues through the season as it will make it a cracker!

Vettel and Kubica will be kicking themselves for such a stupid crash right near the end, the part that didn't make any sense (which I didn't notice until the replay) was that except for the front wings, the car's were still intact so why they didn't take it a bit easier and instead drove straight off into the first barrier made no sense!

I think they may be able to charge up the KERS before the start, so everyone who had it would be able to start with it all there, at least for those with the Battery systems.

I'm not sure what you're talking about there Scorps, anyone who was watching could see how pants the McLaren car currently is - but that's even more testament to what a stunning drive Lewis put in. Yes he was lucky at times, but to pull himself from the back right up to 3rd place in a car that is clearly one of the worst did show how good he really is, it was nice to see the Lewis that was MIA in Brazil last year back and on top form!

I am really hoping this is setting the scene for the rest of the season as it is looking really good :D

Just realised that Vettel has been penalised for the crash with Kubica...........totally unfair in my view as it was clear they were both at fault, if Kubica hadn't turned in so tight they wouldn't have crashed so can't say that was anything else other than 50:50...........

So was this unfair penalty Ferrari's fault too? :P

I'm not sure what you're talking about there Scorps, anyone who was watching could see how pants the McLaren car currently is - but that's even more testament to what a stunning drive Lewis put in.

Everyone is writing the Mclaren off and its only the 1st race. How is the Mclaren pants? you could see Lewis driving the car and its very stable, hes not fighting the car at all, the Mclaren is just lacking downforce for speed and once they sort out the diffuser he will be back on top and leading the way. I cant think of a pants car that has ever finished 3rd ;)

Everyone is writing the Mclaren off and its only the 1st race. How is the Mclaren pants? you could see Lewis driving the car and its very stable, hes not fighting the car at all, the Mclaren is just lacking downforce for speed and once they sort out the diffuser he will be back on top and leading the way. I cant think of a pants car that has ever finished 3rd ;)

We're not writing it off, we're just acknowledging that they are one of the slowest cars out there at the moment and they have a lot of work to do. I don't want to take anything away from Lewis because that was an epic drive in a very under-par car, but he was very lucky with all the safety cars, Kubica and Vettel crashing, Kimi crashing, Massa retiring, Trulli being stupid and getting demoted...........there were lots of factors that all happened together that helped Lewis out. It was that, and his very impressive driving that got him to 3rd, not the car.

In it's present state, the McLaren is only faster than the Force Indias and Toro Rossos........no one's writing anyone off, you'd be a fool to write off McLaren but they just don't have it at the moment, that's a fact. I bet even McLaren themselves are probably totally amazed that they managed to salvage 3rd place off a race that they probably expected to finish down the back end of the order.

And awful cars have finished 3rd before, remember Rubens last year in the Honda at the British GP :whistling:

he was very lucky with all the safety cars, Kubica and Vettel crashing, Kimi crashing, Massa retiring, Trulli being stupid and getting demoted...........there were lots of factors that all happened together that helped Lewis out. And awful cars have finished 3rd before, remember Rubens last year in the Honda at the British GP :whistling:

Everyone needs a bit of luck now and then, true there were faster cars out there than the Mclaren but if you keep out of trouble and have consistent lap times you'll get results. Mclaren aerodynamic techs will be working through the coming nights to get the diffuser sorted. :D

Everyone needs a bit of luck now and then, true there were faster cars out there than the Mclaren but if you keep out of trouble and have consistent lap times you'll get results. Mclaren aerodynamic techs will be working through the coming nights to get the diffuser sorted. :D

Yeah of course, my point was that it was partly luck and Lewis's raw talent that got them to third, not really the car. I have a feeling though that once we're about a third of the way through the season, the battle will be back to being between McLaren, Ferrari and BMW again - but I hope the others are still up there.

I'm sure they will, McLaren have said they'll win in Spain I think so that's only a few races away :)

Interestingly, Williams are now saying that the Melbourne GP showed that KERS is very useful (e.g. at the start and for getting through the field), so they're keen to run theirs ASAP. I think it would be great if everyone can run KERS and we can see how that goes.

I don't agree with Eddie Jordan's comments about how we shouldn't have it, *if* it improves overtaking (and therefore improves the show) then I think it's a Good Thing.

Amazing result for BrawnGP, I assumed they were just running light in winter testing (as often happens), what a fairy tale to go from near-extinction to 1-2 winners !

I kind of understand what Eddie Jordan was getting at, but I did find it brilliant the way cars with KERS could pull so far alongside everytime they hit a straight section - I like it :)

This is what annoyed me about Lewis last year and he's doing it again - I know a lot of people will start shouting conspiracy as usual but at the end of the day he always puts himself in these situations.

They could have easily just gone away with 4th place which was a great result given their car and starting position, but they went for the 3rd and ended up losing everything. It's a real disappointment as I was in awe at how well he did given the circumstances and then as usual he ruins everything by being an idiot.

I'm glad Trulli got the place back, and it seems he was the one telling the truth all along. I'm not sure Lewis deliberately made anything up, but I think they did deliberately "not mention" information that was relevant and are now using the argument that they thought it was already known.

I was a huge McLaren fan for many years and it is sad that they now appear to have become this corporate machine that's lost all it's values (that started with the whole Ferrari scandal)

Well it seems to have escalated further and I'm definitely losing respect for Lewis that he was clearly in on it (unless he's a complete moron) but is now happy to pin all the blame on the sporting director and say that he "misled" him..............

They seem to be using Ryan as a scapegoat where I'm pretty sure he couldn't have been the only guy that thought it was a good idea.........

For all those who think everyone has it in for McLaren - well they do seem to be giving everyone the impression over and over that they aren't a team that can be trusted........

I do wonder if lewis will leave the team if they bring him into more disrepute, or will he become like Alonso and poison to all but Renault. The team and Lewis have more than ever to prove now.

I think it's the latter mate, it's not just the team, Lewis is bringing himself into disrepute as well..........he should have a brain too and have the common sense to tell the full story and walk away with 4th place which would have been a great result.

When you think about it from Trulli's perspective, it really wasn't fair at all - he clearly did nothing wrong but was claimed to be lying and penalised for something he didn't do........I think race bans would be too harsh as the negative press is punishment enough, but he should really be starting the next race from the back of the grid so he has some form of race impediment.

On the other side of things he was doing as he was told by his employer although that is no excuse in my books as the driver should make it quite clear that he knows the rules inside out and know what action to take given the circumstances, Lewis has the gift to be one of the all time greats in a sport he loves but he's doing himself no favours by behaving like a plonker.

I laughed at the bit where they (F.I.A) said that Mclaren and Hamilton bought the sport into disrepute.....<cough cough> Mosley's antics last season with the "basement prostitute saga" ...allegedly! :whistling:

Lewis has the gift to be one of the all time greats in a sport he loves but he's doing himself no favours by behaving like a plonker.

I laughed at the bit where they (F.I.A) said that Mclaren and Hamilton bought the sport into disrepute.....<cough cough> Mosley's antics last season with the "basement prostitute saga" ...allegedly! :whistling:

Totally agree with both of these mate, Lewis does have the potential to be truly great but needs to start using his head more.

And yes, the FIA did it to themselves, I can't believe they even kept Mosley on :whistling:

Even now I cannot see what Max Mosley`s private life has to do with bringing the sport into disrepute. IMHO what you do in your own time is your own business. Hamilton and Mclaren can only blame themselves for their actions to be fair

IMHO what you do in your own time is your own business.

Thats true....until you get caught.

It brings the sport into disrepute when such a person (Mosley) in a high position within an organisation gets found out doing imoral things and asking those within the same sport to have some morals when dishing out fines and penalties ;)

And on another note:

I love F1, i always have and will always support british drivers to the hilt and i will agree/disagree forever and a day with what the FIA are doing to/within the sport but i do find it hard to put up an argument when someone is lying especially when its for a single point so early on in the season......i thought Lewis was bigger than that and i hope they fine Mclaren and not the driver.

Looks like Lewis's apologies about the situation have helped, and the focus is shifting onto the team itself, e.g the following quote from the FIA :

"We recognise Lewis's efforts to set the record straight today," said an FIA spokesman. "It would appear that he was put in an impossible position.

"We are now awaiting reports from the FIA observer and stewards before consideration can be given to further investigation of the team's conduct.