Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Headlights' Position On A 2003 Gs430

After coming back from a two week holiday and driving to a basketball game with a fully loaded car, I've noticed my headlights don't seem to be projecting out into the road as far as I remember before the holiday. It's as if they're stuck pointing down since having the extra weight in the car and haven't adjusted back without the weight. The main beams are fine.

Is there a way I can reset them, like removing a fuse for example?

• 5 months later...

Recently I've noticed the auto headlight level warning light has been coming on after I've started the car and it's already gone on and off from doing the initial checks. I've tested them in the dark by putting the headlights on before I turn the ignition on and you can see both beams move up and down and then level out, but sometimes after I've started the engine this warning light comes on and stays on for at least a minute before going off.

Does this mean there is a fault or would the light stay on constantly if this was the case? What would the fault be, being as both lights move during the car's own test?

Any ideas about this in general would be greatly appreciated.

Isn't the leveling sensor connected to the rear suspension somewhere, maybe a link has seized up on it or come adrift?

Thanks for the information. If someone could let me know the location of this sensor so I can have a look, then that would be great. (I don't have an owner's manual.)

Isn't the leveling sensor connected to the rear suspension somewhere, maybe a link has seized up on it or come adrift?

Thanks for the information. If someone could let me know the location of this sensor so I can have a look, then that would be great. (I don't have an owner's manual.)

Have a look at this diagram mate, should help with the locating of the parts.

clicky

I haven't had the opportunity to check the auto levelling sensors yet, but I have noticed that the warning light is staying on for a lot longer now and the headlights are not projecting very far in front at night, like they are aiming down.

I really hope a simple disconnect and clean operation will be sufficient to fix this, because I haven't got the money to replace the sensors at the moment.

• 1 month later...

I still haven't got to the bottom of this yet and have noticed that the lights do project ahead of the car while the warning light is on, but as soon as the warning light goes off you can see the headlight beams move and point to the floor in front of the car, which is where there then stay until you turn the ignition off and on again. At least I know the headlight level motors are working.

• 2 weeks later...

My local dealer had a look at this issue when the car was being serviced last week and they said they couldn't tell if it was one or both sensors at fault, if it was just one they didn't know which one, and that I will probably have to replace them. They are £270 + VAT each before labour.

I'm disappointed with a fault of this nature on a six year old car, and a Lexus at that.

• 1 month later...

I had a chance to look at the height sensors and there was nothing visibly wrong, so I gave them a good clean but the problem still persists. I really wish I knew if it was one or both, so there was a possibility I wouldn't need to spend money on a part I may not need, especially with their price. :( This is going to have to wait until next year to be fixed properly. In the meantime I've disconnected the headlight motors.

I had a chance to look at the height sensors and there was nothing visibly wrong, so I gave them a good clean but the problem still persists. I really wish I knew if it was one or both, so there was a possibility I wouldn't need to spend money on a part I may not need, especially with their price. :( This is going to have to wait until next year to be fixed properly. In the meantime I've disconnected the headlight motors.

OK eMjay, This May of been overlooked But the Headlights are Manualy Adjustable !!!.....This will enable you to See at night!

Look to the rear of the headlamp assembly and look for the Obvious silver 8mm adjusting nut............Ideally you need a beam alignment system (at your local M.O.T station) But you can pull up 10 feet from your garage door and note the concentration of the Dip Beam light, Adjust both beams evenly up to what you feel is acceptable and then go for a drive in the Dark (obviously) ...........It Should only take a few attempts to find a happy medium with good beam displacement and Not Blinding oncoming Drivers!

Worked for me (MK2 Gs300 Sport, 2000 model)

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know where the auto headlamp height adjustment system fuse is, so I can remove it and hopefully get rid of the warning light on the dash? I've looked in the engine bay and the front foot wells, but can't see an obviously named fuse.