Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does Your Is200 Have A Rattle, Knocking Suspension?

Martin_80

Knocking not brake related  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Knocking, rattle that is NOT related to brake components

• Yes my car has got it but recently
    • Yes my car has got it for as long as I can remember
    • No it's quiet
    • No but I've replaced.....please post
  2. 2. Did your car have a knocking sound but it's gone since you got coilovers?

• Yes it's quiet and really low :)
    • No the knocking is still there
    • Don't have coilovers

Rich I'm replying so you know we care :-).  That said, I've no idea what could be making those marks.  I can't think of anything that is in close enough proximity - especially that one on the lower part of the damper. 

Anyone else?

Hey guys,

Been chasing a knocking noise from the front for a long time. Does this sound like the noise people are getting from worn-out shocks?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-zeBnQZF3cgVnJZYWZ1YktWV00

(Bit quiet, it's most obvious about halfway through before I put the indicator on)

Been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what's doing it.

Cheers

On 9/5/2017 at 7:16 PM, rincewind said:

Give it a day or two - my knock goes away when it's been up in the air with the suspension relaxed, then it comes back.

Interesting- this is exactly what I have too.

1 hour ago, catnap said:

Hey guys,

Been chasing a knocking noise from the front for a long time. Does this sound like the noise people are getting from worn-out shocks?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-zeBnQZF3cgVnJZYWZ1YktWV00

(Bit quiet, it's most obvious about halfway through before I put the indicator on)

Been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what's doing it.

Cheers

It does sound like my noise.  I've changed the shocks (twice), changed the top mount, and the noise has not gone away.  I've also changed the lower balljoint.  I've had a number of techs look at it and no one can find it.  I've also pulled my hair out over this, having had more than a few attemps at curing it.

• Like 1

That at 0.17-0.18 does sound familiar. 

Mine's going in to be Waxoyl'd on Wednesday (I know! Proper retro motoring!) and my non-Lexus mechanic is going to have another good look.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rincewind said:

It does sound like my noise.  I've changed the shocks (twice), changed the top mount, and the noise has not gone away.  I've also changed the lower balljoint.  I've had a number of techs look at it and no one can find it.  I've also pulled my hair out over this, having had more than a few attemps at curing it.

Yeah I'm hesitant to change the shocks as it sounds like a metal-on-metal noise with a very slight crunch or grind. And I don't think shocks can make those noises.

Mine happens when the wheels are deflected backwards (like a speedhump or a sharp bump in the road) at low speed, and when taking a bumpy turn left (knocks from right) and vice versa. I thought it was something like a drop link hitting the frame so I painted the nearby suspension bits in white paint- no scratches. Swapped the complete shock assembly for units from another 300 Sportcross with half the mileage- noise went away for a week, then gradually came back and is now the same as it was.

No-one seems able to figure out where it's coming from - multiple places have looked at it and all have shrugged. Even WIM said they thought it was the shocks themselves and I'm not convinced after reading this thread.

I'm thinking upper ball joints - when compressed, maybe I'm finding a rough spot on the ball which is making the noise? But the "usual" range is smooth- maybe. But it does sound like something hitting something else, or grinding against it slightly. And the suspension being relaxed makes it go away for a bit which would suggest a bushing. Maybe it's time to tear the front end apart and check all the bushes for wear.

Frustrating!

Catnap I agree that it's almost certainly not the shocks.  I've had 3 sets on mine, including adjustables and exactly the same noise has persisted. I did look at the top balljoint but didn't change it.  I think the only way to get rid would be to change all bushes and balljoints.  My worry is that may not do it...

I wonder if it's the no. 1 lower control arm bushing, allowing it to move too much and contacting the frame of the car. There's also two large bushes on the upper control arm. Short of getting a bunch of spare parts and changing the lot over, the only real option is to pay someone to take the front end apart and check everything manually, not just with a prybar. It was bliss when I swapped the shocks over and drove around for a few days without noise...

Definitely not antiroll bar by the way, I disconnected it entirely and drove around a car park- noise still there. Got OEM year-old lower ball joints, poly LCA, ARB and steering rack bushes- nothing touched it. Steering rack bushes were worth it though, definitely tighter.

As previously mentioned, I've got someone casting their eye over it tomorrow. He won't charge me to investigate so where would you two like him to look in particular? I can tell him and sound like I know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

I would say any evidence of suspension components that are worn enough to make grinding/clunking noises (like bushes), or witness marks from things hitting other things. I'm convinced it's coming from around the top of the wheel arch (i.e. maybe upper ball joint) but without taking the upper arm off and inspecting the balljoint it's really hard to say.

26 minutes ago, catnap said:

or witness marks from things hitting other things

Did you see those pics I posted earlier in this thread? They looked odd to me but equally made no sense.

1 minute ago, rich1068 said:

Did you see those pics I posted earlier in this thread? They looked odd to me but equally made no sense.

Yeah I did- I don't have the same marks though. Certainly weird if the tyre isn't rubbing in that spot!

Don't forget there's two - the bendy LCA is the no.2 which is a common failure point, but no.1 attaches to the lower ball joint under the knuckle. That's got a large bush at the back of it and if that's torn or disintegrated it could cause no.1 LCA to hit the chassis. Getting no.1 off isn't difficult from what I can see but I haven't had the time.

12 hours ago, rincewind said:

I'd go for the upper ball joint too, plus the upper control arm.  I've had the lower control arm off on mine, the bush looked fine.

16 minutes ago, catnap said:

Don't forget there's two - the bendy LCA is the no.2 which is a common failure point, but no.1 attaches to the lower ball joint under the knuckle. That's got a large bush at the back of it and if that's torn or disintegrated it could cause no.1 LCA to hit the chassis. Getting no.1 off isn't difficult from what I can see but I haven't had the time.

No. 2 upper control ball bendy mount LCA bush. Right. Got you. My man is going to be so impressed when I walk in there this afternoon.

1 minute ago, rich1068 said:

No. 2 upper control ball bendy mount LCA bush. Right. Got you. My man is going to be so impressed when I walk in there this afternoon.

That he is! :laugh:
Might be worth asking him to check the engine mounts too, someone else mentioned that to me but I'm not so sure about those.

He topped up the indicator fluid for me (400 quid!!) but I'm afraid to say nothing else out of the ordinary was found. So I'm afraid we're still none the wiser gentlemen. He said it could still be a shock absorber on the way out but I don't think he was too convinced.

And it appears the unusual marks on mine (pictured on page 4) are just where the shock absorber boots rub. Doubtful that a rubber sleeve could cause the noise. So it looks as if I'll have to turn the stereo up like everyone else...

Find a local garage with an ATL MOT test lane and ask if they will investigate. They give the front axle a good shake and tends to show up weak bushes.If you think it is due to wheel moving back when riding a bump, it is more likely lower arm

15 hours ago, iwonder said:

Find a local garage with an ATL MOT test lane and ask if they will investigate. They give the front axle a good shake and tends to show up weak bushes.If you think it is due to wheel moving back when riding a bump, it is more likely lower arm

Interesting. How do you know which places will have these ATL things? Is it a mechanical device that'll shake the car like it was being driven? Because that could be very useful if so.