Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does Your Is200 Have A Rattle, Knocking Suspension?

Martin_80

Knocking not brake related  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Knocking, rattle that is NOT related to brake components

• Yes my car has got it but recently
    • Yes my car has got it for as long as I can remember
    • No it's quiet
    • No but I've replaced.....please post
  2. 2. Did your car have a knocking sound but it's gone since you got coilovers?

• Yes it's quiet and really low :)
    • No the knocking is still there
    • Don't have coilovers

Lets find out were this sound is coming from and how common it is.

My car has it but the balljoints and front ARB is fine.

I'm from Sweden...if the poll doesnt make sence feal free to alter it... :D

/Martin

great topic...im intrigued, Lexus have changed loads of bits and Ive also had it on the ramps in the vehicle workshops next to me..good lads who know their stuff but could find nothing wrong B)

still leaning towards the shock absorber but could be an expensive experiment that solves nothing

The knocking noise is the Inner oil valve of the shock absorber....ive had this complaint for the last 2 years originally the front shocks were replaced under warranty.( but the car is out of warranty now )..but alas they still knock.....so i went to an independent garage ( someone i know ) and they agree after hearing the noise going for test drive up on the ramp and checking ALL other parts of the engine bay suspension etc ,that it was the inner oil valve of the shock absorber........

So my next option is to get some new coilovers OR new front shocks absorbers like Bilstein etc.........

The knocking noise is the Inner oil valve of the shock absorber....ive had this complaint for the last 2 years originally the front shocks were replaced under warranty.( but the car is out of warranty now )..but alas they still knock.....so i went to an independent garage ( someone i know ) and they agree after hearing the noise going for test drive up on the ramp and checking ALL other parts of the engine bay suspension etc ,that it was the inner oil valve of the shock absorber........

So my next option is to get some new coilovers OR new front shocks absorbers like Bilstein etc.........

dazz you are the poster that i was refering to in a previous thread...inner oil valve of the shock absorber........

i think you have hit it on the head....Lexus 'apparently' did my shocks under warranty..(but i dont think they did!!)- .. its got to be the answer :question:

problem is its just a noise..thats all, a bloody annoying one but something i cant really afford to throw loads of sponds at when i may get rid in a year or so

Did the knocking stop after getting shocks changed? then came back as the shocks got older ?

The thing is i had mine replaced (under warranty ) but the problem still persisted.....again they were replaced.(so they say )...BUT they still knock to this day...its the OSF side that does it.....sometimes the noise is louder than others ...it changes from one day to the next.....

trouble is it doesnt change the handling much to the car ( but im guessing it must do to a degree ) it just is a PAIN . :angry: ..it just annoys the hell out of me when going over sleeping policemen,bumps,ruts in the road or loading the car up on that OSF corner etc.....

Im guessing its to do with how the oil in the shock body changes viscosity.(OR the inner oil valve is just damaged )...so sometimes worse than others...when it knocks it obviously echo`s up inside the shock body and into the cabin via the suspension housing....

To be sure, the people on LOC who have the problem and are going to replace there shocks at some point is to report to say if it has sorted the problem..... ;)

I might be replacing the shocks soon just not sure to which...but have a few things in the pipeline.....so best bet is to keep this thread alive and monitor the situation...... ;)

Did the knocking stop after getting shocks changed? then came back as the shocks got older ?

No mate the knocking noise stopped for a bit but came back about 1 week later....

Personally i just think they ...

1.Didnt replace them at all....

2.They replaced them but have a faulty batch of them ..

3.Or the company that make them just produce very bad shocks....(on the cheap side ) ;)

i am just about ready to fit a full set of shockers, on my as200 altezza. the new ball joints cured the rattle type noise, but i still get the knocking noise on rough roads, i am expecting the new shockers to cure this.

i am just about ready to fit a full set of shockers, on my as200 altezza. the new ball joints cured the rattle type noise, but i still get the knocking noise on rough roads, i am expecting the new shockers to cure this.

do you mind posting back with the results... :winky:

I had a knocking noise coming from the rear n/s when going over rough roads in my recently purchased is200 with 79k, took it to a garage and asked them to check the shocks and they said they couldn't see anything wrong with them and no signs of them leaking etc, not convinced with there verdict I rang the previous owner and asked him if the shocks had ever been replaced by him which he replied no, after searching on here for hours I decided that due to the mileage to change them anyway and ordered a full set of kyb shocks and had them fitted, hey presto!! no more knocking!! turns out that both front and rear n/s shocks were shot, not saying that this is what anyone elses knocking problem is but generally I think if your mileage is fairly high and your on the originals get them checked properly by removing them from the car.

• Like 1

I have a knocking noise when I go over potholes and other holes on our great british roads. Had it checked out numerous times when serviced at good garages and theres nothing wrong with my suspension. I thought it could be the jack rattling (housed above the rear right) Im not unduly worried, wasted enough time trying to diagnose....

Mine has a rattle when going over bumps and just found out that there is no anti rattle shim in the o/s/rear brake pads so a simple fix for me if i can get the shims on there own.

You can indeed get the anti-squeal shims on their own from your Toyota/Lexus dealer, part number is 04945-30130 for the front and either 04946-30070 or 04946-30071 for the rear, get the dealer to double-check the part number versus your car's exact model.