Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does Your Is200 Have A Rattle, Knocking Suspension?

Martin_80

Knocking not brake related  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Knocking, rattle that is NOT related to brake components

• Yes my car has got it but recently
    • Yes my car has got it for as long as I can remember
    • No it's quiet
    • No but I've replaced.....please post
  2. 2. Did your car have a knocking sound but it's gone since you got coilovers?

• Yes it's quiet and really low :)
    • No the knocking is still there
    • Don't have coilovers

I had a knocking noise coming from the rear n/s when going over rough roads in my recently purchased is200 with 79k, took it to a garage and asked them to check the shocks and they said they couldn't see anything wrong with them and no signs of them leaking etc, not convinced with there verdict I rang the previous owner and asked him if the shocks had ever been replaced by him which he replied no, after searching on here for hours I decided that due to the mileage to change them anyway and ordered a full set of kyb shocks and had them fitted, hey presto!! no more knocking!! turns out that both front and rear n/s shocks were shot, not saying that this is what anyone elses knocking problem is but generally I think if your mileage is fairly high and your on the originals get them checked properly by removing them from the car.

Niceone "superblackbird" at least you got the problem sorted...where did you get the KYB shocks..do you have a link to the site..?

The thing is im not to sure what the OEM shocks are ..think they are either made by..."KYB or another company"..or by "Tokhico"..????

I will have to get some new ones...its driving me mental.... :angry: :duh:

Niceone "superblackbird" at least you got the problem sorted...where did you get the KYB shocks..do you have a link to the site..?

The thing is im not to sure what the OEM shocks are ..think they are either made by..."KYB or another company"..or by "Tokhico"..????

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/shock-absorbers-lexus.php Thats where I got mine from, couldn't find cheaper anywhere else, I understand the kyb's are oem but not 100% sure

Thanx for the linky matey...what are the KYB shocks like ..? are they any good..?

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/shock-absorbers-lexus.php Thats where I got mine from, couldn't find cheaper anywhere else, I understand the kyb's are oem but not 100% sure

The KYB shocks from buypartsbuy are the OEM shocks which would have come with your car. My rears were replaced by Tony @ WIM and he confirmed he was putting in exactly what he was taking out.

Hope that helps.

@steve Tony replaced my rear shocks in about an hour - a lot of which was taking out and replacing the boot lining. TGT took about 3 hrs to replace my springs.

Ed

The KYB shocks from buypartsbuy are the OEM shocks which would have come with your car. My rears were replaced by Tony @ WIM and he confirmed he was putting in exactly what he was taking out.

Hope that helps.

@steve Tony replaced my rear shocks in about an hour - a lot of which was taking out and replacing the boot lining. TGT took about 4 hrs to replace my springs.

Ed

Cheers Eideath...so i guess these will start knocking after a while then....? how are the ones you had fitted bearing up....?...On the buypartsbuy site they do 3 different sorts of KYB shocks....oil filled,gas filled,and new adjustable ones.....by the looks of it these ones ( in the linky ^ ) are gas filled...i believe the lex OEM ones are oil filled...?

I still think they just cleaned my old ones up and never put new ones in......

The rears are fine and its lowered on Eibach/TTe springs. I dont think the knocking is on the rear any way. It felt like the back was wallowing before i had them changed and now its nice and tight - though I have C-One ARBs 2 since then.

Think i'm gonna get my front shocks changed soon too to new KYBs.

I've had this annoying knocking in the front suspension for the last 50,000 miles, I've gone through everything and had come to the conclusion that it was coming from inside the shocks. Interesting topic.

Yes mate its down to the inner oil valve inside the shock absorber knocking....does drive you nuts sometimes :angry:

Is it possible that this knocking issue is year related, a problem with the early OEM KYB shocks?

My is200 is made late 1999 says 2000 in my pappers. Here in Sweden cars that are made late autumn count as made the following year. I dont know if it's the same in England.

Is it possible that this knocking issue is year related, a problem with the early OEM KYB shocks?

My is200 is made late 1999 says 2000 in my pappers. Here in Sweden cars that are made late autumn count as made the following year. I dont know if it's the same in England.

Yes mate it could possibly be year related...or a dodgy single batch that they made for cars say between 2003-2005....i had an 2003 plate before my 05 plate and that started knocking after 20,000 miles...

Mine has a rattle when going over bumps and just found out that there is no anti rattle shim in the o/s/rear brake pads so a simple fix for me if i can get the shims on there own.

i had this rattle and had to get new shims. i could only get them from lexus and worked out about £80 ~ not cheap but fixed the problem and annoying noise

My right shock leaks and needs replacing in the near future, the knocking is from the left though. If this issue is with the OEM KYB shocks, should we stay away from them and buy something else?

Interesting result so far it's pretty even between "quiet" and us poor fellows that had the noise forever. We need more votes! Surely there must be more then 37 is200 owners on LOC? It's also interesting that 3 cars went quiet when it got coilovers but more votes from owners with fitted coilovers would be nice!

• 2 weeks later...

iv had my heat shield removed just to find out the noise is from the rear brakes, apparently they are loose in the caliper... try to punch your tyres realy hard at the 10 oclock area of your wheel

iv got my car booked in for wednesday to sort the rear brake pad ratteling in the caliper

Well just an update i had some new KYB Excel-G shocks fitted as i also had the "knocking" noise......and aswell as improving the ride the "knocking" noise has now gone..!!!! :D

Well just an update i had some new KYB Excel-G shocks fitted as i also had the "knocking" noise......and aswell as improving the ride the "knocking" noise has now gone..!!!! :D

good its all gone matey

Mines developed a knock/creaking sound recently (think its coming from the front passengers side suspension area). Also noticed recently my front passengers side shock absorber is wet- I think the knocking/creaking is due to this.

Will be replacing both front shocks too. I'm on 120k, so I guess I can expect worn shocks/suspension at this mileage.

• 3 weeks later...

A month ago a piston in my left caliper decided to get stuck which resulted in a visit to Toyota for a new caliper and brakepads. When I got the car back it feelt like the knocking had diminished. The car mechanic that got a ride in my car :lol: said it could be because the car had been lifted up, stretching the shock... He didn't think it sounded to much/that much. I wonder if he would think that if he got to here it know...

I didn't want to write sooner until I was certain....the knocking is back! Toyota had my car over a week and it takes a while to hear/find all this funny noises. It could very well be me knowing it's there and therefor hearing it or it has escalate back to it's former level since I got my car back, don't know. The caliper (lexus part) is brand new therefor I have made the conclusion that I had from the beginning that this rattle is not coming from my brakes.

It would be really interesting to change the shocks to koni or something totally diffrent and take it for a spin... Anyone that wants to give me a set please send a PM :lol: :P

Just thought i would update on my update (above ) :blink::yawn: got the new KYB shocks fitted....and B****cks ive still got the knocking noise...AAAHHHHGGGGHHHHHH does my head in..! :duh: :duh:

Now its either the KYB shocks are ...well....made like that and so they all (old and new ) tend to do it...but not sure.....so if i keep the car and i find some money i will go down the coilover root....or bistein shocks and eibach lowering springs........ ;)

I must also give a shout out to Tony and the boys @ WIM :D as i dont live far from them and i see them about all of the stuff to do with my car etc... They are always helpfull in dealing with problems like my shocks etc .....always go the extra mile to deal/solve problems for you.. :D