Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does Your Is200 Have A Rattle, Knocking Suspension?

Martin_80

Knocking not brake related  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Knocking, rattle that is NOT related to brake components

• Yes my car has got it but recently
    • Yes my car has got it for as long as I can remember
    • No it's quiet
    • No but I've replaced.....please post
  2. 2. Did your car have a knocking sound but it's gone since you got coilovers?

• Yes it's quiet and really low :)
    • No the knocking is still there
    • Don't have coilovers

Well just an update i had some new KYB Excel-G shocks fitted as i also had the "knocking" noise......and aswell as improving the ride the "knocking" noise has now gone..!!!! :D

Just thought i would update on my update (above ) :blink::yawn: got the new KYB shocks fitted....and B****cks ive still got the knocking noise...AAAHHHHGGGGHHHHHH does my head in..! :duh: :duh:

Now its either the KYB shocks are ...well....made like that and so they all (old and new ) tend to do it...but not sure.....so if i keep the car and i find some money i will go down the coilover root....or bistein shocks and eibach lowering springs........ ;)

gutted for you.....

it must be the shocks, this warm weather and the oil viscosity means mines knocking like a barn door in a hurricane...

hi all just wanted to share sum info- most noises/knocking noises from the front end when going over bumps are the shockers AND the TOP MOUNT. these wear together and can cause some strange dull thuds when travelling over rough roads. if the shockers are in good oreder-i.e. no leaks, then id recommend changing the top mount first (ive done loads of these over the past 7 years). these top mounts hold the bearings encased in a rubber mount, the dull thud is the bearing case knocking on the mount body. if problems still persist then change the shocker too, these can wear in one place -some1 previously mentioned about the oil seal inside the shocker- this is what wears and the shocker piston itself has too much laterial movement first before its up-down motion when hitting a bump.

other nocking noises (if a more definate knock is heard) are commonly from the top and/or bottom ball joints. easily checked and replaced (though abit expensive to buy). these should be picked up on any free VSR from any lexus garage.

hope this helps.

hi all just wanted to share sum info- most noises/knocking noises from the front end when going over bumps are the shockers AND the TOP MOUNT. these wear together and can cause some strange dull thuds when travelling over rough roads. if the shockers are in good oreder-i.e. no leaks, then id recommend changing the top mount first (ive done loads of these over the past 7 years). these top mounts hold the bearings encased in a rubber mount, the dull thud is the bearing case knocking on the mount body. if problems still persist then change the shocker too, these can wear in one place -some1 previously mentioned about the oil seal inside the shocker- this is what wears and the shocker piston itself has too much laterial movement first before its up-down motion when hitting a bump.

other nocking noises (if a more definate knock is heard) are commonly from the top and/or bottom ball joints. easily checked and replaced (though abit expensive to buy). these should be picked up on any free VSR from any lexus garage.

hope this helps.

thanks

Lexus did my top mounts but not so sure they did the shocks

• 9 months later...

I got quoted just under 80 quid for the 8 clips and 4 springs that go on the back of the pads from lexus. How bad is that.

If you go to www.brakeparts.co.uk you can get a set of 4 clips for about 6quid. I just recieved some today and gonna do them at the weekend. The clips look identical to the ones on there at the momemnt though.

Just thought I would add this incase anyones goin to the Lexus dealers and paying all that extra chash for the same product.

cheers guys.

just want to share some experience about KYB shocks, had them on my old 323F BA, they are ace. in fact everyone in the mazda club uses them (or Eibach for the posher ones lol).

buypartsby is the cheapest place i have come across, i did try to negotiate a group buy discount before but the guy was having none of it.

some experience about shocks: all shocks normally are only meant to last for 10 years/90,000 miles, they are wear and tear parts of the car. i wouldnt be surprised if it was the shocks that makes the knocking noise (which sounds like it was from what everyone is saying)

probably worth changing the springs too, as they tend to have more or less the same life expectancy as the shocks.

Replaced front lower ball joints. That got rid of the worst of the noise.

Got front & rear sway bar drop links next on my shopping list but that'll have to wait until after my holiday to the UK in July.

• 4 weeks later...

yeh this is a crazy one , replaced all disc and pads, began to get slight noise only hear it when rolling to a stop, its like a warped disc drivers side, checked it all ..seems fine. But the damn noise is still there, all ball joint have been replaced all seems a bit :doggy:

Ive managed to get mine quiet now- a lot of ppl seem to have similar new noises lately i would think largely due to sheer amounts of salt/grit from roads after the heavy winter causing problems possibly - i know there is a "knuckle" bush which is in the knuckle which doesnt seem very well known about too-sorry i cant be more help

This clunking when turning slow and braking has retured to mines. It dissapeared after getting new pads about 4000 miles ago.

I took my wheels off today and checked the shims. Should you be able to slide the shims up and down slightly with a screwdriver ? or should they be soild onto your brakepad.

If solid i think i may try to put some copper slip on the shims.Would this help ?

tommy as you know im not a mechanic but - i fitted a new clip to my reare the other day - the pads and shims did have some movement in them without a clip hence the need for anti-rattle clip - when i did mine i bought copperslip and cleaned out the bits on the caliper with a screwdriver and cleaned the pin and sides of the pads with emery cloth to remove as much brake dust as possible-then i evenly coated the back and sides of the pad and each shim as i put the shims back on the rear or non friction side of the pad so effectively there is a copperslip sandwich in between the pads and each shim-i did the same on the parts of the caliper the pad touches and the retaining pin - lastly i spent a bit of time adjusting the clip with trial and error until it held the pads quite firmly in place with - not a squeak or rattle since from that area - i will of course post up if i get any noise come back

Thanks for the info Nick. I dont even know if i have spring clips in mines as iv'e just taken the wheels off. Not too confident about taking off the calipers :duh: , I'll pluck up the courage on my next day off and see what it looks like.

Thanks again mate.

• 2 weeks later...

ive re-checked all the ball joints and caliper but what i have noticed that i never noticed before was that there is no locating screw for the discs. :o and you can jiggle the disc slightly back and forth,,surley that cant right...and if it is then why do i only here the creaking and knocking on the drivers side when breaking to or rolling to a slow stop..??? any ideas....

A wee update on the clunking subject. I put the car into the garage last Wednesday morning @ 9am.

Got a message at 11am saying my car was ready. Paul, (the owner of the garage had an is200 and now has a belter of an GS430) said he took the brakes apart, cleaned everything up and put anti slip/sqeal grease on the correct places, as previous brake replacer didn't.

Well, not only did the clunking/clanking/grinding noise when turning slow disappear, the constant knocking noise coming from the drivers side front also disappeared. It's the quietest the car has been since iv'e owned it ( nearly 2 years).

I convinced myself the front end knocking noise was the shock inner vaulve. I resigned myself to the fact the only way i was going to get rid of the constant knocking was to replace the shockers, and all for the the sum of £20 :D

Hello. New guy here..I just bought my wife a 09 is250 with 9000 miles on it. We havent even had it a week and i noticed every time i go over a bump or turn in the parking lot, i hear a short thump sound. At first i thought it was something rolling around then was able to narrow it down to it coming from behind the sunroof. That and i think its messing with me more becuase i hear it travel all the way down to the pass front. I wasnt sure if its becuase the body flexing or what. Lexus told me to take it to a toyota place and have them look at it, being the closest lexus is 3hrs from us. They drove it and said it may be the strut tower mount or shock. I have an appoint thursday at lexus to see what the hecks going on. I will keep you guys posted on what the outcome is since i see im not the only one ticked off thinking you spend a good amount of money to get something that would last.

My right shock leaks and needs replacing in the near future, the knocking is from the left though. If this issue is with the OEM KYB shocks, should we stay away from them and buy something else?

Interesting result so far it's pretty even between "quiet" and us poor fellows that had the noise forever. We need more votes! Surely there must be more then 37 is200 owners on LOC? It's also interesting that 3 cars went quiet when it got coilovers but more votes from owners with fitted coilovers would be nice!

My original shocks were destroyed - i had brake wobble and the car was an asbolute mess to drive. Fitted BC coilovers last year - have knocking over all the usual bumps in the road. ARB links were changed at the same time as coilovers too.

I've personally convinved myself its the pillow ball top mounts of the coilovers but im not exactly trained into the noise these pillow balls are said to produce?

Had a knocking on the right front side for a while now. I changed the shocks to KYBs and the lower ball joints. And still the knocking was there.

We checked the whole system when we changed the discs and springs and suspected the upper ball joint.

Cost 200 Euros from Toyota ,luckily my mate helped me to fit the new one and so far the knocking has stopped. the feel of the car is so different and mjuch more responsive in corners.

I looked at the old ball joint and the seal had gone so making it really loose.

We'll see if my luck holds up!

no knocking noise to report for me. running with tein type flex and the car is fairly low. having said that i didn't get any knocking sounds when i had stock setup.

Folks,

I posted on this last August shortly after getting the IS 200. In my case an NCT (MOT) vehicle tester found wear in the caliper locating bolts. The (Toyota) dealer who supplied the car checked, tightened them as much as he could without stopping them from working and packed them with grease. The rattle stopped for all of 15 miles!

My car definitely has a rattle as opposed to a thud and it's reminiscent of the time I forgot to replace the anti-rattle clips on the front of my absolutely reliable, sorry I ever sold it, Citroen Xantia. When the Lexus was serviced in February, the brakes were "cleaned and serviced". Silence was restored for a good 4000 miles but the rattling has since returned. I have now decided to examine the brakes myself and look for weakening shims and springs. This may not be until next weekend but I will report back and photograph anything interesting such as gaps and the lack, or otherwise of Coppaslip.

I do wonder at the success reported by the replacement of shock absorbers because the brakes need to be dismantled, I think, in order to replace the shocks and this may make the problem go away for a while at least.

I say again, I'm hearing a rattle over rough surfaces not a thud as described by others.

Mike

The Bigger the Problem, The Bigger the Hammer

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

I posted on this last August shortly after getting the IS 200. In my case an NCT (MOT) vehicle tester found wear in the caliper locating bolts. The (Toyota) dealer who supplied the car checked, tightened them as much as he could without stopping them from working and packed them with grease. The rattle stopped for all of 15 miles!

My car definitely has a rattle as opposed to a thud and it's reminiscent of the time I forgot to replace the anti-rattle clips on the front of my absolutely reliable, sorry I ever sold it, Citroen Xantia. When the Lexus was serviced in February, the brakes were "cleaned and serviced". Silence was restored for a good 4000 miles but the rattling has since returned. I have now decided to examine the brakes myself and look for weakening shims and springs. This may not be until next weekend but I will report back and photograph anything interesting such as gaps and the lack, or otherwise of Coppaslip.

I do wonder at the success reported by the replacement of shock absorbers because the brakes need to be dismantled, I think, in order to replace the shocks and this may make the problem go away for a while at least.

I say again, I'm hearing a rattle over rough surfaces not a thud as described by others.

Mike

The Bigger the Problem, The Bigger the Hammer

Any update on this mate ?

I have had the knocking noise for as long as i can remember i fixed my leaking ball joint but prior to that went into ATS for a free check on my shock and the mechanic eventually found stones rattling on top of my petrol tank when the tank is full the noise subsides when empty noise magnified !!! :D :winky: