Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does Your Is200 Have A Rattle, Knocking Suspension?

Martin_80

Knocking not brake related  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Knocking, rattle that is NOT related to brake components

• Yes my car has got it but recently
    • Yes my car has got it for as long as I can remember
    • No it's quiet
    • No but I've replaced.....please post
  2. 2. Did your car have a knocking sound but it's gone since you got coilovers?

• Yes it's quiet and really low :)
    • No the knocking is still there
    • Don't have coilovers

• 3 months later...

My 01 is200 with 107000miles knocks verv badly why (DONEGAL ROARS) i found out today as to why that is my bark subframe bushings are woren theres movement between the subframe and the body so hopefuly replacing them 4 bushings will sort it out fingers crosser..

• 2 months later...

I have a bloody annoying thud coming from the rear of my 04 IS Ltd Ed but only when i turn right. A local Toyota dealer got it on the ramps and inspected the rear diff and suspension but could find nothing. The car is 100% standard with 64K miles.. Its driving me mad. Nothing seems to be loose or have any play in it. The noise sounds like its coming from O/S/R/R but close to the transmission tunnel. Any ideas from anyone?

Cheers guys

• 4 months later...

Great to see that my thread is still alive. Sad to see that so many cars suffers from it.

I have nothing new to report. I haven't done much to find what's causing it, only had two people listen to it but no one can figure it out. My car has passed MOT without a problem, I am hoping the will find it sooner or later :D

However I have noticed something when I change tires... If I pull the wheel up and down I get a little play and a barely hear able knocking sound. I don't know if it should be like that and I cant see where the play is.

Has anyone also noticed this? Should it have a little play?

My knocking noise under light braking & steering is gone since I had the front brakes & 4 dampers replaced by my Toyota garage.

I asked them to verify all bushings to eliminate the knocking/cracking noise that drove me mad. They did eliminate it, but they didn't know why. No bushes were replaced, all were still in good nick. The stock dampers were replaced by Bilstein B6 dampers, the stock springs were already tossed for Eibachs some time back. They also replaced my stock rotors that were warped from trackday driving by treated brembo Sport rotors and StopTech pads. Since this work was done, my car is again completely noisefree. What a relief.

Hope this helps you guys.

• 9 months later...

Hi all. A new Lexus IS200 owner here, 2000 reg (that story later)

I have the dreaded knocking coming from O/S front, most audible on rough roads at slower speeds unless the road noise is drowning the sound out when going faster.

- Discs & Pads Changed all round

- Front lower ball joints been changed

- Front Suspension Rear/no2 arm Bush has gone, I have some TopSpeed ones on order

- Def need a trip to WIM for alignment & Geo, can almost visually see the wheels are out and car jumps trajectory when going over bumps now

- Tyres are not great, thinking of putting on some Goodyear F1 AYS 2

Will report back after those suspension bushes get done and have caliper / pads re-checked for movement. Maybe WIM may spot the problem when I visit if not solved before then

(will be my first visit to WIM, any alignment I've had in the past made my car's feel worse)

• 5 years later...

I'm going to revive this thread.  I've had my IS200 for 10 years, with the knocking all that time on the front o/s.  I've had shocks, upper shock mount, lower ball joint and drop links changed.  I've also fitted new guide pins to the calipers and put new discs and pads on. The car has been inspected by a number of people who cannot find anything wrong.

Still the same knocking noise.  It goes away for a day or so if I raise the front of the car and let all the suspension relax, then it comes back.

Any further ideas people?

Paul

Mine (only had it 3 weeks) has a knocking/creaking/groaning from what seems to be nsf but only low speed and only when braking. It's back to the dealer Tuesday. But I guess that's not the same circumstances as yours ie when braking and turning/maneuvering? 

Mine did when I owned it. It had a broken spring, replaced thinking it would cure it but it still had a groaning noise in slow turns and braking.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Mine's been in today for this. Pads moving they reckon and seem to have stopped it.

Give it a day or two - my knock goes away when it's been up in the air with the suspension relaxed, then it comes back.

• 1 month later...

Reviving this one.

The noise did return and seems worse. So I got in touch with Lexus again and they said they'd get a tech to go out with me though I could tell they were sceptical. Anyhoo, still haven't had time to call but did have time today to get a friend check it over on his lift. This is where I show my complete lack of spannering skill but there is movement in what appears to be some sort of short link on the NSF. It's vertical, about 6 inches long with a joint at each end and there's quite a bit of noisy play. There isn't one on the OSF and there appears to be only one on the rear too.

Any idea what this part is actually called. My mate reckoned it could be something to do with the sport suspension ride height?

Don't think it's the drop link. As I said, there's only one on the front and one on the rear. 

The part in question. 

CVNZ20nh.jpg

mrpRXUgh.jpg

2Olkdorh.jpg

Anyone? And more to the point, is there supposed to be any play in it? I can reach through the gap between the tyre and wheel arch and the movement is pronounced and noisy.

Don't think it's the drop link. As I said, there's only one on the front and one on the rear. 
The part in question. 
CVNZ20nh.jpg
mrpRXUgh.jpg
2Olkdorh.jpg
Anyone? And more to the point, is there supposed to be any play in it? I can reach through the gap between the tyre and wheel arch and the movement is pronounced and noisy.
That is the leveling sensor for your headlights

Skickat från min F8331 via Tapatalk

It's not seized. The headlights auto level when you turn them on ie they do that up/down sweep. But if you reach through and hold the middle of the bar it will rattle on the two end joints. The one on the rear of the car doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update.

Went out with a tech from Lexus and he heard the creaks and groans clearly. Greased the auto levelling link and had a good look around. It's still there. I think the noise may be a "feature" :rolleyes: My BMWs used to have them. 

I've a feeling they have an idea what could be causing the noise but it's not bad enough to bring the warranty in to play. Hey ho...

What do you make of this? (And don't say a hat or a pretty flower, we've all seen the movie)

MFDfl3rh.jpg

fdXVk9Gh.jpg

I had all four wheels and tyres rebalanced yesterday and while the nsf was off I noticed these two areas that are smooth and clean where something is rubbing. Nothing to do the wheel or its removal.

Thoughts? Nothing or something?

:edit: It's not like that on the other side.