Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tte Supercharger Noise

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go, Rob. Idle and max rpm of the supercharger :)

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

hi Patrik,

thats great thankyou for the video.

so the max is about 10,000 rpm, the compresor has a max rpm of 14000...... so that makes me wonder if those that had the tdi pulley fitted is the unit operating over the max rpm??? did tdi even look into this, i doubt it TBH.....

also your other video - something is wrong with that compressor unit - it should not make the grinding noise - it tells me the lobes are rubbing against the casing - not good at all.

Patrik if you remove the outlet cone/pipe then you can clearly see the lobes and also the casing and see if they have been rubbing against each other.

If the lobes are rubbing it normally indicates the compressor has operated at very high temperatures and the case has distorted - normally as a result of being driven over the 14000 rpm

Also I believe it helps to move the air temperature sensor to the throttle body inlet as that is the "true" temperature rather than measuring the colder air at the inlet of the compressor..but i may be wrong.

Here you go, Rob. Idle and max rpm of the supercharger :)

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

hi Patrik,

thats great thankyou for the video.

so the max is about 10,000 rpm, the compresor has a max rpm of 14000...... so that makes me wonder if those that had the tdi pulley fitted is the unit operating over the max rpm??? did tdi even look into this, i doubt it TBH.....

also your other video - something is wrong with that compressor unit - it should not make the grinding noise - it tells me the lobes are rubbing against the casing - not good at all.

Patrik if you remove the outlet cone/pipe then you can clearly see the lobes and also the casing and see if they have been rubbing against each other.

If the lobes are rubbing it normally indicates the compressor has operated at very high temperatures and the case has distorted - normally as a result of being driven over the 14000 rpm

Also I believe it helps to move the air temperature sensor to the throttle body inlet as that is the "true" temperature rather than measuring the colder air at the inlet of the compressor..but i may be wrong.

Are both the superchargers new :question: the one's from someone's shed :question:

Hi Rob,

I actually did remove the outlets and examined the lobes. These are the pictures I took:

This is my supercharger. As you can see there are a some scratch marks on the lobes, but in the pictures I took when I first got the supercharger there are no marks. That would suggest that my supercharger hasn't been run before I bought it. Also, please have a look at the next photo.

image002a.jpg

This is the borrowed supercharger, which runs perfectly fine and is quiet. As you can see there are even more scratch marks. My theory is that the lobes are simply to be worn in a little bit.

image004z.jpg

I'm pretty sure the grinding/whistling noise is caused by the supercharger pulley, as it seemed to disappear when I loosened the screws. I will show you in a video tomorrow :)

Are both the superchargers new :question: the one's from someone's shed :question:

Hello mate,

My own supercharger is certainly quite old, but I haven't found anything that would suggest it's been run before I bought it. The borrowed one is old as well, but it's been used for maybe a thousand miles.

hi Patrik,

are there meant to be 2 pictures?? ---- ah see the 2nd pic now!

the lobes look about normal but have a more rub than mine - i am more concerned about the rubbing thats on the edge of the lobe at the top of the picture, is it just paint or is it thru to the metal?? if its metal then it tells me the lobe is touching the case and it should not. the clearences between the lobe and the casing is very very tight but they should not touch each other BUT you will get some rubbing marks

the compressor with the gringing noise... in your video it looked a lot harder to turn with your hand compared to the other one - is that right??

I would be surprised if the grinding is from the pulley bolts as they just go thru the plastic cover, the clutch plates and then into the pulley.

Best way to check everything is to remove the pulley - you will need a 3 leg puller to do this

p3150045_l.jpg

the pulley is tight as thread lock/retaining compound is used - may also need a bit of heat to remove it.

once the pulley is removed you have the splined shaft that u can turn by hand - if the noise is there then it is the compressor and not the pulley.

it could be that the bearing is defective in the pulley also??? but it must be falling apart to make that sort of noise....

the compressor with the gringing noise... in your video it looked a lot harder to turn with your hand compared to the other one - is that right??

I would be surprised if the grinding is from the pulley bolts as they just go thru the plastic cover, the clutch plates and then into the pulley.

Best way to check everything is to remove the pulley - you will need a 3 leg puller to do this

p3150045_l.jpg

the pulley is tight as thread lock/retaining compound is used - may also need a bit of heat to remove it.

once the pulley is removed you have the splined shaft that u can turn by hand - if the noise is there then it is the compressor and not the pulley.

it could be that the bearing is defective in the pulley also??? but it must be falling apart to make that sort of noise....

Thanks, mate :)

That is correct, my pulley is a lot harder to move than the one on the borrowed supercharger. However, as soon as I just loosened the screws a bit the pulley became smooth and quiet. I've already removed it as well. The next thing I will do is using a separate electric motor to spin the splined superhcarger axle at 1000 rpm. If it's quiet the pulley is the problem, I really hope so. Also, I could easily turn the axle by hand. I suppose I wouldn’t be able to do that if it’s as hard to move as the pulley was.

mmmm wierd...

if u remove the 3 bolts on the pulley cover and turn the cover is it quite then?

i really dont see how loosening the bolts would make any difference as the 2 parts (pulley and the the black cover) of the pulley are locked together by the bolts and its the cover that drives the compressor, unless its a problem with the bearing but tightening the bolts doesnt effect the bearing as i can see.

ill be interested so see what u find.

oh give me the number off the bearing (the blue one) and ill find the link for the place i got my replacement one from

• 3 weeks later...

Hello mates,

I've just had a few mechanical engineers examine my supercharger and the problem is found. Unfortunately it can't be solved... :crybaby:

It turns out the problem is quite simple. The center of the supercharger axle isn't properly aligned with the center of the pulley and its bearing. The way they figured that out was really clever, but it I'm extremely disappointed now. This means it's a fabrication fault and the supercharger will never be able to run silently.

On top of that, the seller (Markus Reinisch) stopped answering my e-mails quite a while ago, when I sent him the video comparison between the borrowed supercharger and mine. I won't give up, though, I never do that.

Tomorrow I will return my borrowed charger and my boosted days are over for now. On sunday I'm going to Egypt for a week, after that it's time to give Markus a call.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and help, guys. Cheers

Best regards

Patrik Lindblom

sorry to hear this patrik,

thats 4 chargers that i know of that are having problems in the last month or so..

its has made my mind up that at 2k its just too much to gamble..

After re-reading this, it is better to buy a supercharger from a trusted UK LOC member. Agree with Redz_UK £2k is too much to gamble.

Hello mates,

I've just had a few mechanical engineers examine my supercharger and the problem is found. Unfortunately it can't be solved... :crybaby:

It turns out the problem is quite simple. The center of the supercharger axle isn't properly aligned with the center of the pulley and its bearing. The way they figured that out was really clever, but it I'm extremely disappointed now. This means it's a fabrication fault and the supercharger will never be able to run silently.

On top of that, the seller (Markus Reinisch) stopped answering my e-mails quite a while ago, when I sent him the video comparison between the borrowed supercharger and mine. I won't give up, though, I never do that.

Tomorrow I will return my borrowed charger and my boosted days are over for now. On sunday I'm going to Egypt for a week, after that it's time to give Markus a call.

Best regards

Patrik Lindblom

Hi Patrik, if you still in the market for a supercharger, (and i hope you get your money back for this one mate)

I have what i consider one of the best tte superchargers that i know of coming up for sale in August, and i'm sure you will be happy with the power this charger puts out mate :D

Hello mates,

Best regards

Patrik Lindblom

Hi Patrik, if you still in the market for a supercharger, (and i hope you get your money back for this one mate)

I have what i consider one of the best tte superchargers that i know of coming up for sale in August, and i'm sure you will be happy with the power this charger puts out mate :D

what exactly do u mean by one of the best TTE chargers u know of mate?? u mean condition wise, or the fact that it seems to give more bhp than others have??

Hello mates,

Best regards

Patrik Lindblom

what exactly do u mean by one of the best TTE chargers u know of mate?? u mean condition wise, or the fact that it seems to give more bhp than others have??

Well over the years of having lots to do with tte chargers, i think (and its just me, well Steve as well) that some chargers are better than others Rob, i've had 2 different chargers fitted to the same car, and one was much better than the other, as i say, its just me that thinks this, would love to do r/road day swapping chargers about on same car just to see.

Yeah Gord would be interesting to see the difference.

Only know of 3 chargers having probs atm - mine (snapped pulley screws), Tom-18s (Ceased), Patrik (Manufacturing fault) who's the 4th?

Only know of 3 chargers having probs atm - mine (snapped pulley screws), Tom-18s (Ceased), Patrik (Manufacturing fault) who's the 4th?

Yer but snapped screws not a real problem mate, Tom-18s yer thats scrap, and patrik's one, reds may be thinking about the one Asi got ? but that was coz it had spent 9yrs in damp shed and passed off as new :o

would be a good research to see if each chargrmakes a different.

So Gord are you selling yours?

would be a good research to see if each chargrmakes a different.

So Gord are you selling yours?

I don't have tte charger at all at the min mate :o but i do own 1/2 share in a project lexus :D

Yer but snapped screws not a real problem mate, Tom-18s yer thats scrap, and patrik's one, reds may be thinking about the one Asi got ? but that was coz it had spent 9yrs in damp shed and passed off as new :o

Well Gord snapped screws is a manufacture fault even its not as major as patricks or tom. its still a problem that shouldnt be therein the first place. The one i got was prety much the fault of the keeper of the charger.

Well Gord snapped screws is a manufacture fault even its not as major as patricks or tom. its still a problem that shouldnt be therein the first place. The one i got was prety much the fault of the keeper of the charger.

Yer mate i agree it a problem, but can be sorted for a few £s, i've had 3 chargers to date, i have known about the problem, and just made sure the screw are tight, with lock tight glue, i have never had a problem myself :D

But the best option would be to change the screws as Rob has said :D

Hello mates,

Best regards

Patrik Lindblom

Well over the years of having lots to do with tte chargers, i think (and its just me, well Steve as well) that some chargers are better than others Rob, i've had 2 different chargers fitted to the same car, and one was much better than the other, as i say, its just me that thinks this, would love to do r/road day swapping chargers about on same car just to see.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You could do that with my car mate, if I get to keep the best charger :whistling:

Yer mate i agree it a problem, but can be sorted for a few £s, i've had 3 chargers to date, i have known about the problem, and just made sure the screw are tight, with lock tight glue, i have never had a problem myself :D

But the best option would be to change the screws as Rob has said :D

yes i am going to buy screws myself to be on the safe side

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links