Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tte Supercharger Noise

Hi Patrik, if you still in the market for a supercharger, (and i hope you get your money back for this one mate)

I have what i consider one of the best tte superchargers that i know of coming up for sale in August, and i'm sure you will be happy with the power this charger puts out mate :D

If its the one im thinking about, it certainly is a quick and powerful charger!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Patrik, if you still in the market for a supercharger, (and i hope you get your money back for this one mate)

I have what i consider one of the best tte superchargers that i know of coming up for sale in August, and i'm sure you will be happy with the power this charger puts out mate :D

If its the one im thinking about, it certainly is a quick and powerful charger!

Wozza has another very very good charger toooo :D was the same when fitted to Raj car :D

if i am right Gord is this the charger that was pushing out somehting like 214 bhp standard?

thanks

Yep

Well over the years of having lots to do with tte chargers, i think (and its just me, well Steve as well) that some chargers are better than others Rob, i've had 2 different chargers fitted to the same car, and one was much better than the other, as i say, its just me that thinks this, would love to do r/road day swapping chargers about on same car just to see.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You could do that with my car mate, if I get to keep the best charger :whistling:

if i am right Gord is this the charger that was pushing out somehting like 214 bhp standard?

thanks

Yep

Well over the years of having lots to do with tte chargers, i think (and its just me, well Steve as well) that some chargers are better than others Rob, i've had 2 different chargers fitted to the same car, and one was much better than the other, as i say, its just me that thinks this, would love to do r/road day swapping chargers about on same car just to see.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You could do that with my car mate, if I get to keep the best charger :whistling:

I drink stella :winky:

Yeah Gord would be interesting to see the difference.

Only know of 3 chargers having probs atm - mine (snapped pulley screws), Tom-18s (Ceased), Patrik (Manufacturing fault) who's the 4th?

Yer but snapped screws not a real problem mate, Tom-18s yer thats scrap, and patrik's one, reds may be thinking about the one Asi got ? but that was coz it had spent 9yrs in damp shed and passed off as new :o

that makes 5 then!!

there is another member with problems according to a lexus dealer but i wont mention the member. im sure of they need help from loc then they will post up.

Now if somebody could sell one with a guarantee of some sort then thats a diff story. Im sure if you sold one Gord you would be confident of it. :>

Yeah Gord would be interesting to see the difference.

Only know of 3 chargers having probs atm - mine (snapped pulley screws), Tom-18s (Ceased), Patrik (Manufacturing fault) who's the 4th?

Yer but snapped screws not a real problem mate, Tom-18s yer thats scrap, and patrik's one, reds may be thinking about the one Asi got ? but that was coz it had spent 9yrs in damp shed and passed off as new :o

that makes 5 then!!

there is another member with problems according to a lexus dealer but i wont mention the member. im sure of they need help from loc then they will post up.

Now if somebody could sell one with a guarantee of some sort then thats a diff story. Im sure if you sold one Gord you would be confident of it. :>

without revealing the mystery owner but what problems are they having with the charger?

most problems can be avoided with some routine maintenace same asany moving part greasing up checking screws are tight belt tensioner checking making sure all hoses are secure charger is bolted down tight

Shame about your charger patrik hope you can get your money back as it has been sold duff

Rabs

Sorry to hear of your problems mate, not been around for a while and to come back and hear of these few problematic chargers its a bit upsetting. Hope you get sorted soon.

lee's was at about 215 IIRC??

Close Rob, it was 188.8 at the wheels. So with around 21% transmision loss it about 227-228 at the engine :D

Edeath knew he was missing a screw and he ignore which LED to snapped screws as wozza said keep a eye on the screws and all you got to do is to make sure they are nice and tight

Yep the other 2 screws snapping was entirely fault as I did about 500 miles with only 2 screws in over a period of a week. Unfortuantely had no choice and didn't think I had the time to fix it - as I didnt really know where to start. Really wish i'd taken it more seriously.

Wozza's advice is good - make sure they are tight. One of the things I have notced from taking the pulley apart though is that the hole through the cover and plate are a bit larger than the screw that is used - which could cause some movement which could then damage the screws.

Hope it all gets sorted soon patrik.

• 2 months later...

Hello again, my friends. Once again I must thank you for all your opinions and support, you English people are really helpful in every way :)

Since my last post in this thread I've been driving around like this:

dsc0576gsr.jpg

I've been trying to get a refund from the seller (Markus at Waffenschmiede.at) but as I suspected he doesn't care that he sold me a faulty charger. He blamed Prolex Dave and cried about not having enough funds to buy the supercharger back. I didn't think he was going to help me, but at least I had to give it a try.

However, today I finally decided to do something about my supercharger. Almost every day I've been tempted to fix it, but I have been super busy lately. This is what's causing my high pitched supercharger whistling:

The supercharger axle isn't properly aligned with the pulley bearing. It's almost 1mm off.

dsc0761m.jpg

dsc0760u.jpg

I had a few ideas how to solve this problem, but I wasn't sure they were feasible(?) before I examined the charger more closely. The first thing I had to do was to measure exacly how much out off centre the bearing was, as that would be the easiest part to move. I dug up my old 'something'-ometer, which is the tool to use in these situations. It can be used to measure the exact distance between the center of whatever it's attached to (eg. a supercharger axle) and something that surrounds it. In this case the surface where the pulley bearing is supposed to be.

dsc0752i.jpg

The only problem was how to attach this meter. I went for aluminium stick, a kind of copolymer which basically turns into rock :P

dsc0746q.jpg

I made my little clay creation and went for dinner.

dsc0747h.jpg

This is what it now looks like. Does it work? Oh yes! :)

dsc0762w.jpg

Attached to the supercharger axle

dsc0748x.jpg

'something'-ometer in place

dsc0757x.jpg

Then I just had to spin the axle and take notes

dsc0744s.jpg

dsc0730.jpg

After that I opened the front of the supercharger and discovered that the problem might be easier to solve than I first thought. I was afraid that the front bit that I removed would have a bearing for the axle, but it turned out there was only a sealing. That means the front cover can be moved sligtly and the pulley bearing would be properly aligned along with it. The two 8mm pins are the only things that decides exacly where the cover is supposed to be.

dsc0722.jpg

dsc0725v.jpg

If I redrill the guide holes in the cover I might fix the whole problem. However, as it would need a pretty precise job I won't do it myself. Tomorrow I will hand it over to a professional along with my measurements and I really hope I will finally be able to supercharge my car again :)

Cheers everybody! I'll let you know how it turns out.

good problem solving, i like your "something0meter" :D , ......(dial gauge for measuring run out)

maybe the end cover has had a knock at some point , and this has shifted the locating dowels ever so slightly

any progress?? hope all works out mate you have such a stunning car and have done so much work to it,its just such a shame that the people you trusted with your money(and a lot of it)for the charger have just said you bought it its your problem!!its disgusting!!!!

anyway as i said hope you manage to fix this and have your car running all charged up very soon.

Thanks mateys :)

The good news is I believe I've fixed the offset problem. Now I can easily spin the pulley by hand without hearing any strange noises, finally!

There's only one thing left to do before I can refit my blower. When I emptied it some of the oil was spilled. I thought I might as well replace it with new oil, but what kind of oil is it? I went to my local Mercedes dealer and told them I need oil for an SLK 230 supercharger. They quoted me £35 per litre which was just silly. I'm sure the same oil can be bought a lot cheaper when it isn't called Mercedes supercharger oil :P

What kind of oil is it?

the coupler would be useful if our units had one.....

syringe is also useless as the drain/fill plug is at the bottom so you need to remove the unit to fill it.

i have a bottle sitting on the shelf and its the same thickness as saf xj

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links